Trey Lance is not Trubisky

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Is the fact that the Bears were burnt taking Trubisky when he had limited film making you bias against Trey Lance?

Look, I get it, but the same thing happened with Watson, because the Bears were burnt by Cutler (both are gun slingers). Everything that I have seen on Lance is that he could be a much better throwing version of Lamar Jackson, but because he only has 1 year on film, many on here are not eager for the Bears to trade up for him.

The more important question is do you all believe that the Bears FO has taken Trey Lance off the board (or moved him too far down it) because of the fear of picking another QB with limited college experience?

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
You're right. He's not Trubisky. He's worse.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I wish his pro day showed more accuracy but I hate compares in general. Every QB is unique.

2Deep

Liked Posts:
I would not have a problem taking Lance at 20. However, for me he would/should sit the whole year and just learn. If he has that opportunity then the kid has a chance to be special. I am in no way comparing him to Mahomes but Pat mahomes benefitted from being able to sit a whole year and learn. Aaron Rogers had the same opportunity.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
This maybe the one guy that slides enough for the Bears to trade up for. It seems a lot of fans overrate the run on QBs and some of these guys might be in striking distance. Some of the mock drafts I'm seeing...I cannot believe how high some of them have Mac Jones.

I'm not a draft nerd. I'm not going to go to great lengths to see how many teams are in desperate need for a QB...but could Trey Lance fall out of the top ten?

dignan

Liked Posts:
No chance Lance lands here. Pace/Nagy need to win now, no way they gamble on a project QB in the first round

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
No chance Lance lands here. Pace/Nagy need to win now, no way they gamble on a project QB in the first round

Built in excuse...lol.

"We finished 9-7 and missed the playoffs with Crappy Dalton. Imagine what we could do with "our guy." Matt didn't ask for Mitch."

Last edited:

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
I have been watching a lot of college QBS this week and i've been trying to watch these QB's against top teams to see how they perform and for grins i watched Trubisky vs. Stanford last night and although his athleticism and ability jump off the screen, he's like a more athletic Fran Tarkenton...he ran better, yet there he was throwing dimes on the run and overthrowing completely open WR's like he does now. Trubisky STILL IS what he WAS in college.....this is the thing I can't stand about talent evaluators who think some kid is going to change his spots once he gets in the pros, i believe they can hone their technique etc but you rarely see one of these kids making wholesale changes w/ the exception of Josh Allen in buffalo recently.....so I think you should be looking at a QB with the idea that he may simply be what he is and is what he is good enough? Trubisky on tape even compared to some of the QB's coming out is clearly superior athletically to most of them but as a QB he was clearly a project......not sure if any of you agree but this is where I am. I will be pissed if they don't draft a QB, i think ownership needs to ask themselves if they TRULY believe that Dalton and this team can win a Superbowl, otherwise they are just pissing another year away with no up and coming hope at QB...isn't that the point of all of this?

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
This maybe the one guy that slides enough for the Bears to trade up for. It seems a lot of fans overrate the run on QBs and some of these guys might be in striking distance. Some of the mock drafts I'm seeing...I cannot believe how high some of them have Mac Jones.

I'm not a draft nerd. I'm not going to go to great lengths to see how many teams are in desperate need for a QB...but could Trey Lance fall out of the top ten?
No idea, but being out of football for nearly an entire year and only having one other year of tape does not inspire confidence for a team that is wanting a franchise QB.

If the Bears take a chance on him, it will be a big risk, and I have seen Mocks that have him dropping out of the top ten. And while mocks are not a real indicator of what will happen in the draft, it does have some logic surrounding it.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
I would not have a problem taking Lance at 20. However, for me he would/should sit the whole year and just learn. If he has that opportunity then the kid has a chance to be special. I am in no way comparing him to Mahomes but Pat mahomes benefitted from being able to sit a whole year and learn. Aaron Rogers had the same opportunity.
I sure hope that is the plan for any QB we take this year, but I don't think that Lance gets all the way to 20, I think if he falls out of the top ten there will be flurry of trade action trying to land him.

But at last, I am no GM/scout

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
No idea, but being out of football for nearly an entire year and only having one other year of tape does not inspire confidence for a team that is wanting a franchise QB.

If the Bears take a chance on him, it will be a big risk, and I have seen Mocks that have him dropping out of the top ten. And while mocks are not a real indicator of what will happen in the draft, it does have some logic surrounding it.

Yeah, tape I've seen on Lance highlights his running mostly. I'd have to dig around more.

I should be one of those scenarios where the fan base can let Lance sit for a year...but we know after 3 games with Dalton, they'll be slinging shit about, "Start Lance now!!"

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Is the fact that the Bears were burnt taking Trubisky when he had limited film making you bias against Trey Lance?

Look, I get it, but the same thing happened with Watson, because the Bears were burnt by Cutler (both are gun slingers). Everything that I have seen on Lance is that he could be a much better throwing version of Lamar Jackson, but because he only has 1 year on film, many on here are not eager for the Bears to trade up for him.

The more important question is do you all believe that the Bears FO has taken Trey Lance off the board (or moved him too far down it) because of the fear of picking another QB with limited college experience?

Interesting points. So few things. There are good "gunslingers" i.e. Moon, Marino, Elway, Mahomes. And there are bad "gunslingers" i.e. Farve, Cutler who hurt their teams with ill-advised passes and ints. So one has to differentiate between the two.

Lance and Mitch. What I like to look at is accomplishments and results. Even with one year Lance had more accomplishments
than Mitch. Lance performed at a higher level than Mitch in college . Mitch couldn't 'ball out' vs a lower ranked Stanford D in his only bowl game. Lance, however, comes with a winning pedigree.

But I think the Bears are gonna end up making a play for a non fit Qb like Jones or Trask.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
whelp, I didn't like Mahomes cause his write-ups reminded too much of Cutler

and I still got ptsd from staying on Cutty bandwagon way too long

soooo
Nobody really knows how anyone will turn out. I thought the Chiefs were crazy burning two firsts on a second round talent, back then I still believed that it was "bad value". Taking a stand on quarterback prospect makes fools of all who attempt it, I've personally thrown in the towel.