Trubisky finishing spring practices with confidence

Washington

Liked Posts:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-spt-bears-mitch-trubisky-growing-offense-20180606-story.html

For nine weeks now, Mitch Trubisky has continued through the fog.

The Bears’ second-year quarterback has been neither helpless nor directionless in learning new coach Matt Nagy’s offense — in fact, quite the opposite is true — but the process has forced him forward in pursuit of clarity instead of propelling him. He has had to embrace his role at the center of the offense despite lacking command of it and be comfortable being uncomfortable.

And as the Bears’ offseason program concludes Thursday, six weeks before training camp, the fog is lifting slowly to reveal a more seasoned, capable quarterback.

“He has a very bright future, but he has to build that library in this system,” Nagy said recently. “It's intriguing to me right now watching this process happen with him because he's a perfectionist. And it's impossible to be perfect on every single play.

“So when things are gray, how does he react to when it's not black and white? That's what we're working through right now, and he just has to know that he can't get frustrated when it is gray and he doesn't do the right thing. He'll grow through that.”

Nagy and others have praised Trubisky this spring for how steadily and eagerly he has dedicated himself to learning the new quarterback-centric system, understanding the options receivers have on one play depend on the coverage and determining whether a defensive alignment demands a change to a blocking protection or his downfield progression.

It hasn’t been just trial and error. It’s trial, error and improvement — a method that seems to drive Trubisky.

Nagy has smoothed the road as Trubisky’s guide. Not only does the first-year coach effectively explain the intricacies of the scheme, he also reassures Trubisky when the growth doesn’t come easily or isn’t readily apparent.

How has that helped Trubisky internalize the learning process?

“Just knowing there are going to be bumps in the road and having that mentality that we're getting better every single day,” he said. “Learning from our mistakes, talking to Coach, just being on the same page (and) knowing it's part of the plan.

“We all believe in Coach Nagy's plan. And you've seen the progression from the first day to now, so I guess that gives us confidence.”

That’s how Nagy measures the success of his first offseason. In April, he challenged players to emerge from spring practices with confidence that they are improving.

Trubisky undoubtedly has it, but that’s not because practices have been consistently smooth. That’s where his partnership with Nagy, offensive coordinator Mark Helfrich and quarterbacks coach Dave Ragone has been so important.

“Any competitor is going to get angry with (himself) and frustrated, and all the emotion comes on and he does that,” Nagy said. “So that's our job as coaches to corral that and make sure he understands that.

“It's not false enthusiasm, (where) the kid just made three mistakes in a row and you're pumping him up. No, there's a balance to it. It's (saying), 'Listen, here's why you did what you did. Don't do it next time and you'll be OK.'

“He might make a bad throw, and I don't care about that because his eyes went to the right spot. He'll make the throw in a game. Right now, I'm not too concerned about results.”

At this stage, and for much of training camp, Trubisky’s understanding of the offense is more of a priority than his execution of it. The former should facilitate the latter.

After studying and practicing it for nine weeks, though, Trubisky appreciates what he described as a “wide-open attack” with “so many options I can’t even begin to say where it starts.”

“The system fits the players we have,” he said. “In particular, it really fits my skill set with the RPOs, the quick game, stretching the ball down the field, and then with the running backs we have just pounding it inside and continuously trying to establish the run game.”

Tailoring that fit was Nagy’s objective this spring as he introduced Trubisky to more of the scheme than the quarterback could realistically handle. It was one big test to see what information Trubisky could retain and what he did well on the field.

In a way then Nagy wanted to thicken the fog so that his quarterback will be self-assured when he finally emerges. And judging from Trubisky’s outlook Wednesday, that plan for him is on course.

“We just have a great understanding of this offense,” Trubisky said. “The way they’ve taught it, we’re able to play fast, execute plays, and each man knows how to do his job. (We) just have to keep on learning the details of the offense, keep making it more dynamic, which it is.

“It’s a lot of fun, so we’re headed in the right direction.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
They talked with him at the facilities yesterday on NFL Network and i loved how he said he's shutdown all of his social media accounts and not only for the OTA's and training camp but for the entire season so he can 100% focus on this team and offense.

https://twitter.com/StaceyDales/status/1004541210629992449

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Let's hope so. It's time for the sacrifice of support during a rebuild to end. Can't wait for the HOF game to see what's up.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Let's hope so. It's time for the sacrifice of support during a rebuild to end. Can't wait for the HOF game to see what's up.

Sacrifice of support? There were only a few that supported the rebuild on here.

Washington

Liked Posts:
They talked with him at the facilities yesterday on NFL Network and i loved how he said he's shutdown all of his social media accounts and not only for the OTA's and training camp but for the entire season so he can 100% focus on this team and offense.

https://twitter.com/StaceyDales/status/1004541210629992449

I saw that yesterday too. I think all athletes should run far far away from social media.

There were good interviews yesterday with Nagy, Smith, Trubisky, and Hicks. All are articulate and seem to say the right things. Hicks does have a humorous side to him. Smith amazed me with how humble he is. It was almost like someone could have scripted his answers. He's going to be something very special. Good stuff happening right now. Very encouraging all around. It is nice to have some enthusiasm right now versus knowing we'll be mathematically eliminated come the end of September.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
Sacrifice of support? There were only a few that supported the rebuild on here.
What are you talking about? The fact that ownership made poor decisions causing fans to deal with eight years of shit?

I think the fans sacrificed a lot, support wasn't one of those things.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

brundleflyguy

Liked Posts:
What are you talking about? The fact that ownership made poor decisions causing fans to deal with eight years of shit?

The fans sacrificed a lot? What, exactly? I wasted a couple of hours on Sunday last year and the year before until I realized that the Bears were crap and could be ignored for another season. If anything, they gave me back three hours every Sunday. :)

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
The fans sacrificed a lot? What, exactly? I wasted a couple of hours on Sunday last year and the year before until I realized that the Bears were crap and could be ignored for another season. If anything, they gave me back three hours every Sunday. :)
Yea?

Well you just described a sacrifice you weren't willing to give...

theOHIOSTATE!

Liked Posts:
I remember the football dumbs on here talking about one yr turnarounds in 2014 and telling me I was a tard because I said it would be 3 yrs minimum.

Oh yes, they still have big mouths.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers

If you didn’t ride with us when we sucked don’t ride with us when we are good you fair weather fan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I liked this line:

It hasn’t been just trial and error. It’s trial, error and improvement — a method that seems to drive Trubisky.

shoopster

BANNED
Donator
Liked Posts:

It's all on ownership? How about the people ownership paid alotta money to fix things? Like, for instance, the guy who received one of the most undeserved extensions in the history of sports this offseason in the midst of 14-and-34? . . .

. . . The McCaskeys are an easy target - put the focus where it belongs - on the operations center of the franchise: the GM. Until Snails produces, he's a loser. 14-and-34 says so . . .

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's all on ownership? How about the people ownership paid alotta money to fix things? Like, for instance, the guy who received one of the most undeserved extensions in the history of sports this offseason in the midst of 14-and-34? . . .

. . . The McCaskeys are an easy target - put the focus where it belongs - on the operations center of the franchise: the GM. Until Snails produces, he's a loser. 14-and-34 says so . . .

Says the fucking moron broken record...try and have a thought.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:

Ownership stuck with tangelo way too long and then hired Emery board.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
disliked for impersonation of the pathetic Shitster.
I think I might've caught some sort of infection. At least I didn't start putting on lipstick and wearing women's clothing...

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You mean...
CvUHwUdWgAAtwsD.jpg

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams