Trubisky progressed under Fox and regressed under Nagy

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
First off, I don't like Fox and I do actually like Nagy. But the numbers I am going to share show some obvious truths. This is 2017 under Fox:

In the above graphic, it isn't shown but Mitch was given the ball in pass attempts per game at an increased amount each quarter.

Under Nagy in 2018, he saw progression in the first half from the previous year, but his second half was rather anemic, which also correlates to when Mitch reduced running the ball. 8 tds vs 16 when comparing halves,

Then in 2019, we know what we are seeing, Mitch has as many rushing attempts as Tom Brady and his season has been horrific.

I apologize for not showing the stats in the similar graphic as above, but I couldn't find a breakdown like this and went by just looking at them. If you don't cherry pick the stats you see obvious regression when Mitch has been asked to run less and pass more.

We have seen what a good head coach does when he has a running qb, just look at Baltimore. They don't complain about Jackson's lack of 300 yard games and overall passing yards, because he is getting in the end zone. In Baltimore they changed the entire scheme to fit the most important position.

In Chicago, Nagy is making the qb fit the system, as Mitch has literally been told to run less.

Last edited:

Angry Boomer

President Mayhem
Donator
Liked Posts:
First off, I don't like Fox and I do actually like Nagy. But the numbers I am going to share show some obvious truths. This is 2017 under Fox:

View attachment 3915
In the above graphic, it isn't shown but Mitch was given the ball in pass attempts per game at an increased amount each quarter.

Under Nagy in 2018, he saw progression in the first half from the previous year, but his second half was rather anemic, which also correlates to when Mitch reduced running the ball. 8 tds vs 16 when comparing halves,

Then in 2019, we know what we are seeing, Mitch has as many rushing attempts as Tom Brady and his season has been horrific.

I apologize for not showing the stats in the similar graphic as above, but I couldn't find a breakdown like this and went by just looking at them. If you don't cherry pick the stats you see obvious regression when Mitch has been asked to run less and pass more.

We have seen what a good head coach does when he has a running qb, just look at Baltimore. They don't complain about Jackson's lack of 300 yard games and overall passing yards, because he is getting in the end zone. In Baltimore they changed the entire scheme to fit the most important position.

In Chicago, Nagy is making the qb fit the system, as Mitch has literally been told to run less.
Although I loathed Fox, I cant argue with your post

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
having a viable run game w/ a moderately healthy Long and a bell cow Jordan Howard helped

theoretically Trubisky opens himself up to injuries when running and has been injured, so following that logic Jackson will eventually get injured which would force him to ease up on the running, then who is he?

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
having a viable run game w/ a moderately healthy Long and a bell cow Jordan Howard helped

theoretically Trubisky opens himself up to injuries when running and has been injured, so following that logic Jackson will eventually get injured which would force him to ease up on the running, then who is he?
I think by that time they have also developed a better pocket passing game, like McNabb and Vick did.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:

View attachment 3915

The thing is... its not like mitch is a pocket passer in a running QB system. He's literally in an RPO which he doesnt have the acceleration to run. Defenders simply do not respect Mitchs speed enough to commit to him in the case he takes off. They know linebackers can make up for it and play the actual run.

If youre running Trubisky it should be a designed run. It should be a dropback, everyone go deep and then 3 seconds into the play the Oline starts pushing out making lanes. It should feel like a screen play almost the way they sell the pass.

You can use Tru like lamar Jackson as well. You just need willing blockers.

Get him in 3rd and short he can pick up first downs. Hes in 3rd and ten almost every single drive to start.

Last edited:

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
There is a very good chance Fox is still the coach if he just shuts up and plays Trubisky in a system friendly to him. Then continues to develop his game promising that he will do everything he can to help him succeed.

Instead we hired Nagy because Fox trashed the guy. Then Nagy came in and you'd think he came in saying his system would work with Mitch. Instead he's being fed excuses like Mitch can't throw long, or Mitch is innaccurate, or Mitch is not good to his left and despite improving in all these areas every single game this year the offense still seems to be incapable of executing for more than a couple drives a game. Most of them in field goal attempts.

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Two simple reasons why:

1) Trubisky, like any NFL QB, was asked to expand his playbook, and he has failed.

2) The league has figured him out and taken away his first tendency and he has not adapted. This is why when you draft one hit wonders, especially at QB, they are untested at adapting to teams game planning their strengths. Mitch has proven he is not yet capable.

But continue to blame it on Nagy...........

Jack Lantern

Liked Posts:
Mitch has been scouted. Teams are rushing 4 and dropping 7 back in zone coverage. Mitch can't figure it out so is relegated to mostly underneath dink and dunks.

Ej63090

Anti-Exultant Cruise Dire
Liked Posts:
Trubisky also has the 6th and 15th best receivers in terms of average yards of separation.

policeman

Son of beech
Liked Posts:
Reversion to the mean. Who the coach was is immaterial.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Hard to take seriously a chart that uses color when it clearly doesn't call for color to discern the information.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Give me one solid piece of evidence that is true.

So in the above graphic we are shown that a rookie quarterback got better as his rookie season progressed?

Fascinating.

Does anyone else also remember that three of those final four games were the Bengals, Browns and Lions?

John Fox was great at beating AFC teams in his time here...like it really did anything for a NFC team, but it's cool. At least they got some high picks out of it that was spent on marquee players like Kevin White, Leonard Floyd and Mitchell Trubisky.

So in 2018 he continued to progress until the time he suffered his first major pro injury and then stopped progressing?

Fascinating.

If you don't cherry pick the stats you see obvious regression when Mitch has been asked to run less and pass more.

No idea how your OP got there, but I still see no evidence. If Matt Nagy went into the season loaded with all those RPO plays while also telling Trubisky "not to run"...I just cannot comprehend the level of incompetence that is. Like Matt Nagy would have to be taking money from all three of the other NFC North teams kind of incompetence.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
Give me one solid piece of evidence that is true.

So in the above graphic we are shown that a rookie quarterback got better as his rookie season progressed?

Fascinating.

Does anyone else also remember that three of those final four games were the Bengals, Browns and Lions?

John Fox was great at beating AFC teams in his time here...like it really did anything for a NFC team, but it's cool. At least they got some high picks out of it that was spent on marquee players like Kevin White, Leonard Floyd and Mitchell Trubisky.

So in 2018 he continued to progress until the time he suffered his first major pro injury and then stopped progressing?

Fascinating.

No idea how your OP got there, but I still see no evidence. If Matt Nagy went into the season loaded with all those RPO plays while also telling Trubisky "not to run"...I just cannot comprehend the level of incompetence that is. Like Matt Nagy would have to be taking money from all three of the other NFC North teams kind of incompetence.
Mitch has run the ball 22 times, compared to last years 68, and the year before 41. Not sure what evidence you need here. But the numbers don't lie, and in numerous press conferences they have both mentioned that they are trying to keep Mitch in the pocket longer to go through more reads.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Mitch has run the ball 22 times, compared to last years 68, and the year before 41.

I am blaming Trubisky for that.

His big bad coach asked him to try to be more than a one read QB and that is obviously failing, but the only reason he is not getting the rushing yards is because he is a giant ball of hesitation now and all that does is raise his sack eating to an alarming rate.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Although I loathed Fox, I cant argue with your post
You could if you looked at the small select amount of games used. Last year was, by far, the best year for Mitch the Bitch. Fox was gone and really his time as Bears HC did nothing but bad things for his NFL coaching legacy.