Trubisky VS Alex Smith

Zerovoltz

Liked Posts:
I propose that Trubisky = Alex Smith. Smith was a highly drafted 1st round QB, who turned out to have decent skills but not elite level skills. When he got in the right system with Andy Reid....he was put into favorable situations that allowed for decent numbers....especially those that relate to passer rating.....so in the case of Smith.....he did alot to take care of the football, including taking short gains on third and long, or running for a gain instead of opting for a better available pass. These show up as positive plays in passer rating systems, but ultimately, Smith made alot of plays that were not optimal, often killing drives, or causing the offense to settle for 3....even has his ratings and stats looked good. Smith is the worst kind of "good" QB to have....the numbers look good, but they are playing safe and/or far less than optimal. In his last season in KC for example...Smith had only a 44% completion pct in the Red Zone...wich was nearly last in the NFL. If you look at his stat line, you'd say he was a top 10 QB. He made the pro bowl.

That is what you have with Trubisky. He's Alex Smith. He has some talent...but he doesn't have elite talent, and he has a coach who is going to set him up to produce many positive plays....but too often, without you noticing, he'll kill a drive by making a play that isn't optimal..he'll be too safe, or just not talented enough or confident enough to take the best possible target, and do something he knows he can do for a shorter gain etc.

This isn't to say that Trubs is bad....you can win alot of football games with Alex Smith at QB....but you need a strong roster around that kind of guy to help carry him, as opposed to a guy like Mahomes, who makes everyone better.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
I propose that Trubisky = Alex Smith. Smith was a highly drafted 1st round QB, who turned out to have decent skills but not elite level skills. When he got in the right system with Andy Reid....he was put into favorable situations that allowed for decent numbers....especially those that relate to passer rating.....so in the case of Smith.....he did alot to take care of the football, including taking short gains on third and long, or running for a gain instead of opting for a better available pass. These show up as positive plays in passer rating systems, but ultimately, Smith made alot of plays that were not optimal, often killing drives, or causing the offense to settle for 3....even has his ratings and stats looked good. Smith is the worst kind of "good" QB to have....the numbers look good, but they are playing safe and/or far less than optimal. In his last season in KC for example...Smith had only a 44% completion pct in the Red Zone...wich was nearly last in the NFL. If you look at his stat line, you'd say he was a top 10 QB. He made the pro bowl.

That is what you have with Trubisky. He's Alex Smith. He has some talent...but he doesn't have elite talent, and he has a coach who is going to set him up to produce many positive plays....but too often, without you noticing, he'll kill a drive by making a play that isn't optimal..he'll be too safe, or just not talented enough or confident enough to take the best possible target, and do something he knows he can do for a shorter gain etc.

This isn't to say that Trubs is bad....you can win alot of football games with Alex Smith at QB....but you need a strong roster around that kind of guy to help carry him, as opposed to a guy like Mahomes, who makes everyone better.

I'd actually say that to this point, Trubisky is the opposite of what Alex Smith became.

Smith didn't have the physical traits or natural athletic ability, but was smart and developed really good decision-making.

Trubisky so far is the opposite. Arm talent is there. Physical traits and natural athletic ability are there. Decision-making and reading a defense? Nope, not yet.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
I'd actually say that to this point, Trubisky is the opposite of what Alex Smith became.

Smith didn't have the physical traits or natural athletic ability, but was smart and developed really good decision-making.

Trubisky so far is the opposite. Arm talent is there. Physical traits and natural athletic ability are there. Decision-making and reading a defense? Nope, not yet.
I disagree. Neither Smith nor Trubisky has a cannon. They both, however, are pretty darn good runners. Smith was more or a pocket passer than Trubisky, who is less disciplined and takes off more early in his career.

Smith was pretty athletic. He just wasn't a risk taker/gunslinger.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs

You really don’t have a clue what Mitch is or isn’t. Your team was lucky enough to draft Mahomes but that doesn’t make you a pro scout. Go grab some barbecue and enjoy watching your team get smoked because of that laughable defense.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
And to pretend where Trubs ends up is silly. The ceiling is very high.
Beat me to it......after only one year in Nagy's system no one has any idea of where Mitch will be as a pro. At the very low end his floor is Smith, but to me that means he will never be any better than he was last year. As you said his ceiling is very high.

NorcalBear

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels

Not a horrible take. Mainly because we still have those nagging concerns with Mitch and cant say yet we are confident he will become a stud. You might be right. But this year will give us a lot better idea IMO. Much more enjoyable having him than Cutler tho.. glad to have him, and this current team is exciting.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Wow, I've never heard that comparison before.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Don't know where to put this but don't really care to keep thinking about which thread and you are the winning thread.

I remember many here going apeshit over the Packers jumping us for Spriggs. I hated Spriggs as he reminded me of another pick I hated on draft day, Chris Williams. A guy that wasn't good enough for LT and not stout enough to move spots when he failed there. If the Bear ever wanted Spriggs, I was glad he got gone.

Zerovoltz

Liked Posts:

I think this is holding up well.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
At this point I would gladly take Alex Smith.

The problem is that it took Alex Smith 5 years to become good Alex smith. We don’t have that much time to wait.

Alpha Male

Liked Posts:
Alex smith is much better than trubisky. No comparison. What have people seen about trubisky that makes them think he will be more than average?

Calabis

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

He does have elite talent.....does he have a brain to make that talent become elite is the issue...ie anticipate openings, read defenses, be able to get through progressions quickly

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Alex smith is much better than trubisky. No comparison. What have people seen about trubisky that makes them think he will be more than average?

How many years did it take Alex Smith to be a serviceable NFL QB?

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
How many years did it take Alex Smith to be a serviceable NFL QB?

Smith was in a black hole of QB development. a run/defense system and his team was run off the rails by Nolan/singletary.
That team was a clown show in 2009 and 2010.

I always thought he could grow- was actually wanting him here back in the grossman orton era.

for the most part he did pretty darn well when they had a balanced attack and he got to throw 30+ times a game.

... as an aside, I have always hated the 49ers- I was happy as hell that they made the choice to send Smith packing in favor of tebow 2.0 in 2012.
As well as that team was run in the 80's and 90's since that point they have been shooting themselves in the foot repeatedly and I cant get enough of it.