True strike zone? It all depends...

Bronek

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Georgia Bulldogs
MLB is wondering why the scoring is down, how many no hit games so far this year, ect. IMHO the biggest reason is the umpiring. The strike zone changes not only from umpire to umpire, but the same umpire have multiple strike zones. Consistency matters, a specially when fire throwing pitchers getting strike calls with ball misses the edge as much as 8". If the ump is watching at angle naturally accuracy is going out the window. I'm for one, like to see automated strike zone. Let the computer determine strikes and balls, let the ump be in charge of anything else. It would generate more scoring, speed up the game, and definitely more fun to watch.
Thoughts?

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
That was probably one of the worst home plate umps I've seen all year. Rookie behind the plate, I get that, but that was BRUTAL.

CUBS1958

Liked Posts:
Batters range in size from 5 foot 6 to 6 foot 8. Would you have an average strike zone for everybody or would each player have a defined strike zone. High tech balls and strikes will probably be tried in the minors before long.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I've been saying this for years. The tech is there, why not use it? For the most part, I'd say MLB umpires are probably the best officials in pro sports with the only exception being balls & strikes. There are a handful that are decent at it but being human even those guys can be inconsistent, then you got guys like last night. WTF. Of course, it doesn't help that the framing by catchers is so over the top.....actually a baseball "skill" that is only there to fool umpires.....UNBELIEVEABLE. That all goes away with electronic balls & strikes.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Batters range in size from 5 foot 6 to 6 foot 8. Would you have an average strike zone for everybody or would each player have a defined strike zone. High tech balls and strikes will probably be tried in the minors before long.

I believe it is used in some leagues right now

Last edited: