Trying to make sense of the Simonovic pick, here's your cheat sheet.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Okay, Bulls draft a guy who never started a game. Right, we have those talks all over. Now, to the second round.... and

Here is what gets me. They draft a euro in the second round, very little is to be had as usual for anyone not following International Ball. He's a grab and stash prospect, no worries. But ya kinda want to know WTF asset you have on the books. Clearly, some of you have gone through this very same rabbit hole trying to find more than a highlight reel and maybe dig through a few games uploaded to youtube.

So to make sense of this. Marko Simonovic, plays for a developmental team under the ABA, but that means nothing. He's been back and fourth between the main league and the *minors* to keep it simple. A couple years ago, two of the stronger teams in the ABA merged. Like the NBA, younger players have more flexible contracts to do something similar to our two-way contract here. But he's the victim of being a developing player on a very stacked team (at least on paper, and how it translates to the Euroleague's style). Props to Vanja and Kukoc to target this kid, because he can really become a huge bang for the buck player in the NBA. New front office guys or not, they still need to work within the Bulls owners group and we know how they will take the extra step to avoid luxury taxes.

Now, there's another Marko Simonovic pro-basketball player, also drafted into the NBA, active player originally from Serbia and also played for the same parent team in 2019-20. Search for our pick and you'll need to make sure it's the right guy ("born in 1999"), not the 34 year old.

I'm not going to try to be some youtube scout, tell you how he plays, or interpret stats. All of that means little right now because he wont be playing NBA basketball for at least a season (BEST CASE SCENARIO). ***If**** he ever signs with the Bulls. If the Bulls trade him, etc. But IMO, I don't think the Bulls actually picked him to bring him to the NBA. I think he is getting stashed to use for trade packaging.