Two thoughts on Fields and the passing game

czman

Liked Posts:
There are two major things I would like to comment on when it comes to Fields and the Bears passing attack. First the idea that the Bears can move the pocket 40%+ a game to help fields. That is just not realistic. The Niners started leaving their DEs at home on the roll outs and the Pakers did it all game. If the DE does not crash down the LOS and stays home the QB has to make insane moves to get away and that is just not going to happen that often. Moreover, the Pakers also put a spy on Fields and basically rushed in their lanes to force him in the pocket. If the Entire DL is staying in their lanes and they are spying your QB there is not moving the pocket. It just won’t work without an insane play from your QB he makes one possibly two guys miss in space. In a defense like that it should he really easy to throw the ball. The Defense is committing 5 players to stop the QB but only rushing 4 and they are all bull rushing to keep the QB in the pocket. This is what made it looks so bad. The Bears were going against 6 guys on the back end and people were open, but Fields looked like crap from the pocket. It is also why the cut back lanes in the running game where there.

Secondly, Fields was not throwing the ball on time. I know a lot of people keep talking about processing, but I don’t think that is the issue. Fields is by all accounts a smart guy and a hard worker. I am getting the feeling he is not recognizing NFL windows (I don't think this is intelligence based). When the WR plants the foot to cut he needs to let it go, but he does not. Then he moves on to player and does not throw ontime. There is no anticipation in his game, and I don’t believe anticipation is based on IQ. Additionally, I don’t ever remember a QB having this little ability to throw with anticipation ever becoming good at. I am not ready to write him off yet. For me I don’t care about his numbers going forward. I would rather him see the WR plant to cut and just let loose. If the ball is incomplete, picked, or batted down…….. I just don’t care. I want to see him start trying to throw guys open. If he does not show some ability to do it by the end of this year, I think the Bears may start the process of moving on from him. I would like to see him get 3 years to sort this thing out.

TLDR: Defense can force fields to stay in the pocket and beat them from the pocket. Right now he is showing no ability to do that. Bad juju.

BearClaw55

SELL THE TEAM
Donator
Liked Posts:
There are two major things I would like to comment on when it comes to Fields and the Bears passing attack. First the idea that the Bears can move the pocket 40%+ a game to help fields. That is just not realistic. The Niners started leaving their DEs at home on the roll outs and the Pakers did it all game. If the DE does not crash down the LOS and stays home the QB has to make insane moves to get away and that is just not going to happen that often. Moreover, the Pakers also put a spy on Fields and basically rushed in their lanes to force him in the pocket. If the Entire DL is staying in their lanes and they are spying your QB there is not moving the pocket. It just won’t work without an insane play from your QB he makes one possibly two guys miss in space. In a defense like that it should he really easy to throw the ball. The Defense is committing 5 players to stop the QB but only rushing 4 and they are all bull rushing to keep the QB in the pocket. This is what made it looks so bad. The Bears were going against 6 guys on the back end and people were open, but Fields looked like crap from the pocket. It is also why the cut back lanes in the running game where there.

Secondly, Fields was not throwing the ball on time. I know a lot of people keep talking about processing, but I don’t think that is the issue. Fields is by all accounts a smart guy and a hard worker. I am getting the feeling he is not recognizing NFL windows (I don't think this is intelligence based). When the WR plants the foot to cut he needs to let it go, but he does not. Then he moves on to player and does not throw ontime. There is no anticipation in his game, and I don’t believe anticipation is based on IQ. Additionally, I don’t ever remember a QB having this little ability to throw with anticipation ever becoming good at. I am not ready to write him off yet. For me I don’t care about his numbers going forward. I would rather him see the WR plant to cut and just let loose. If the ball is incomplete, picked, or batted down…….. I just don’t care. I want to see him start trying to throw guys open. If he does not show some ability to do it by the end of this year, I think the Bears may start the process of moving on from him. I would like to see him get 3 years to sort this thing out.

TLDR: Defense can force fields to stay in the pocket and beat them from the pocket. Right now he is showing no ability to do that. Bad juju.

I hate to hear it but we have to call a spade a spade. If Fields isn’t the guy. Poles needs to find out sooner rather then later.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:

You are absolutely right that a QB processing information at the NFL level has nothing to do with intelligence. You can work hard to improve it but this is something that by and large you either have or you don't. If it was solely just attributes and intelligence, then you would be having loads of QBs in the NFL that came out of Ivy League schools.

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Wake Forest Demon Deacons
Just speaking for myself, I tend to think of concerns over "processing," "reading NFL defenses," "throwing on time," etc. more or less interchangeably.

Not saying that's correct or accurate--I'm almost sure it's not--but I sort of lump all that together in the general category of "Not realizing and/or recognizing fast enough when a WR is or is not 'open' and when the ball needs to be thrown--i.e., before they actually look open."

J2hotnspicyy

Liked Posts:
I'm pretty convinced it's comfort and reassurance. He's faced a lot of horrible situations thus far, and needs more reps and stability. The weapons aren't coming, but I think once him and Getsy start to gel and they let him off the leash a little bit, it's going to come. Even with the 50/50 split of runs to passes, I still think Getsy called a very predictable script after drive 1. Think Fields just needs the right stage, and some non-super bowl bid teams to warm up with

Spankypants

Liked Posts:
Need to script more passes to Monty out of the backfield.
Mutt WR's and Cole Cement ain't gonna get it done.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
You are absolutely right that a QB processing information at the NFL level has nothing to do with intelligence. You can work hard to improve it but this is something that by and large you either have or you don't. If it was solely just attributes and intelligence, then you would be having loads of QBs in the NFL that came out of Ivy League schools.
I agree about great intelligence not being necessary to be an NFL quarterback. Take a look at Terry Bradshaw. The guy was a great quarterback and he is certainly not a Rhodes Scholar type.. QBS have to be great leaders and be able to rise above the ordinary. At least the above average qbs need to do it.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
He is still crazy hesitant, but his coach is doing him no favors. Getsy needs to bring back some of those easy preseason gameplans early in the game. Get Fields in a rythm of actually throwing the ball and receivers actually catching the ball with some easy three yard slants. Quick easy completions that we all know a Lovie Smith defense gives up.

The passing game should not be this ice cold after two games. Start forcing it against a subpar defense this week.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I agree about great intelligence not being necessary to be an NFL quarterback. Take a look at Terry Bradshaw. The guy was a great quarterback and he is certainly not a Rhodes Scholar type.. QBS have to be great leaders and be able to rise above the ordinary. At least the above average qbs need to do it.
You wouldn't know a Rhodes Scholar if one bought one of your hand carved wooded dildos.

Last edited:

czman

Liked Posts:
Nailed it. Can’t move the pocket all the time. Can’t play action every down. They need to just let him drop back and sling it then live with the results. He is not going to grow with this type of offense.