Two ways to go about this mess. Either blow it up or go all in (trades/FA)

Master Debater

Liked Posts:
Really both require blowing it up, but you can either trade your best assets for picks and start over or you can use your current and future assets in a trade for a star/superstar to try to lure a FA superstar (Kwahi)

So if I'm blowing it up because this team naturally tanks which appears to be the case:

Trade LaVine, get a first rounder preferably a mid pack to lotto pick
Trade Lauri, no reason to give him money if you are blowing it up
Trade Otto for a 2nd rounder and an additional year of a contract (again if you are blowing it up, what are you spending it on? try to get better comp by taking on money)
I think you can trade Sato for a 2nd
Dont know if you can trade Thad with his contract. Not that its horrible just for him its an overpay.
Throw in the option to trade White if we clearly have the worst record and hope to get Cunningham in the draft. Cunningham and LaVine seem better than Cade and White, honestly could make the argument regarding Suggs too.

If you are going in, the only player I can see making sense that could be had is KAT. Seems every offseason a report comes from an unnamed source in his camp that he wants out of there.

Trade Lauri, Carter, future pick, and White to a third team for a 1st rounder that goes to Minnesota in 2021 for Kat.
Use 2021 draft pick on a PG
Throw everything at Kwahi
Move Williams to PF

Idea is to space the floor with floor spacers, late Cade run the team let Kwahi be the alpha and have the ability to go four around one if you want to post up KAT. Another idea of this is to have good defense in Williams, a wing defender in Kwahi and hope Cade or whatever PG you draft is a good defender too. With the rebounding ability of Kwahi, Williams and hopefully Cade you dont need a turd that only rebounds and blocks shots at C.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
KAT is soft

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
You need a star at some point. I'd probably move on from LaVine and see what you can get. Then decide between Lauri and Carter.

I think Coby is a good guard, he's just not a true PG.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think Lauri is totally a 2nd contract player asset. We gotta return a good value for him or extend him, imo, and unfortunately we have looked stupid to him and he controls that. We will see if changes inspire him to stay for rebuild.

He is clearly a 3 and D player, who gets defensive points naturally with length and rebounding.

Both those traits need developing to be NBA impactful, so in typical Bulls fashion we had no good plan for his first contract and the relationship will fizzle out just when it starts to get good.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
It's clear this team needs to find a star somehow, whether its through the draft or trade.

Free agency doesn't look all that impressive for finding a high tier star down the road. Everyone coming available soon is approaching the age they start to decline or are guys like Kawhi who simply won't sign here. Beal seems to be the most attractive in 2022, but Beal isn't a #1 option to me.

The draft may be the best option unless we can find a disgruntled star to trade for.

If GarPax were still around, I'd have no hope in the process, but with new blood, we'll see what they can do.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
I think Lauri is totally a 2nd contract player asset. We gotta return a good value for him or extend him, imo, and unfortunately we have looked stupid to him and he controls that. We will see if changes inspire him to stay for rebuild.

He is clearly a 3 and D player, who gets defensive points naturally with length and rebounding.

Both those traits need developing to be NBA impactful, so in typical Bulls fashion we had no good plan for his first contract and the relationship will fizzle out just when it starts to get good.

all depends on for how much $$ IMO

I wouldn’t call him a 3 and D guy. He can’t play a lick of defense. He is a solid rebounder like you mentioned, but he can’t stop anybody.

offensively, while I love his 3 point shot, that’s all he is anymore. Last game I saw him drive the ball once and I thought I had just gotten too high. The aggressiveness is gone, and it’s sad because he has the potential and ability.

all that to say, for a guy that is a streaky 3 point shooter that can’t play any defense...I’d have a hard time paying him more than as a bench scorer

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
all depends on for how much $$ IMO

I wouldn’t call him a 3 and D guy. He can’t play a lick of defense. He is a solid rebounder like you mentioned, but he can’t stop anybody.

offensively, while I love his 3 point shot, that’s all he is anymore. Last game I saw him drive the ball once and I thought I had just gotten too high. The aggressiveness is gone, and it’s sad because he has the potential and ability.

all that to say, for a guy that is a streaky 3 point shooter that can’t play any defense...I’d have a hard time paying him more than as a bench scorer
thats what I mean...is everything you say is true and he will get away from us, but that type of a guy comes around on his second contract because defense starts to come easier, defensive positioning, flowing within the scheme, etc.

Truly even harder to grade him without witnessing much off-the-ball opportunities due to the lack of a true PG or scoring threat that makes defenses react.

It just feels like we aren't getting the most out of him, and if you put him in San Antonio or Houston or Philly all of a sudden the game would look real easy for him.

Houston should have gone after Lauri or KAT last year. They desperately needed some length, and an offensive player instead of defense would have been interesting.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
thats what I mean...is everything you say is true and he will get away from us, but that type of a guy comes around on his second contract because defense starts to come easier, defensive positioning, flowing within the scheme, etc.

Truly even harder to grade him without witnessing much off-the-ball opportunities due to the lack of a true PG or scoring threat that makes defenses react.

It just feels like we aren't getting the most out of him, and if you put him in San Antonio or Houston or Philly all of a sudden the game would look real easy for him.

Houston should have gone after Lauri or KAT last year. They desperately needed some length, and an offensive player instead of defense would have been interesting.

yeah, he probably will go elsewhere and be solid. But it just feels like it’s not going to happen in Chicago, so probably time to move on. Both him and the bulls will come out better for it IMO

Master Debater

Liked Posts:
Shoot you have the Bulls getting rid of everyone aren't you?

Pretty much. Either be good enough to win it all regardless if you do or suck and build towards the goal of winning it all. Aint no trophies for 1st,2nd,3rd,4th, etc......place losers

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Pretty much. Either be good enough to win it all regardless if you do or suck and build towards the goal of winning it all. Aint no trophies for 1st,2nd,3rd,4th, etc......place losers

I mean, pretty sure there is lol