Udfa / Free Agency question

-Cago34-

CCS Mock Draft Champion
Donator
Liked Posts:
If a draft eligible college kid knows damn well he's not gonna be drafted should he be allowed to forego the draft entirely and be able to sign as an unrestricted FA when it opens in a couple days(hypothetically).

Wouldn't the extra time with their new team benefit them more than the snowballs chance in hell of being drafted that a lot of these guys face?

Please tell cargo your thoughts on this, please.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
How do they know they are not going to be drafted?

What is stopping Myles Garrett from saying he is an UDFA and signing with Dallas for more money than he would get in the draft?

Just a couple issues I can think of.

-Cago34-

CCS Mock Draft Champion
Donator
Liked Posts:
How do they know they are not going to be drafted?

What is stopping Myles Garrett from saying he is an UDFA and signing with Dallas for more money than he would get in the draft?

Just a couple issues I can think of.

Cuz obviously Garrett is going to be drafted. I'm talking about the fringe players that likely won't be drafted, I thought I described that in the OP.

Money isn't an issue either really, I'm talking normal contracts an UDFA would typically sign.

PAPABEAR77

Liked Posts:
Lol sorry didn't realize I missed the r lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
A Player can not bybass the the NFL draft to become eligible for the NFL.

Professional sports may be the only employer in the country where a person can not pick who they work for to start their career.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The issue is really Why?

Why would you open 3 cans of worms for a few fringe members of the NFL? Whose interest is that in? For what timeframe?

Why not require that everyone who plays in the NFL must clear the draft first where every team has an equal opportunity to hire them?

What you are asking would require all 32 teams to submit who they are potentially drafting. So that you could figure out if all goes according to plan...who will then be drafted.

Of course a trade will happen, and the team you thought was picking Slay in the 6th round will not have that pick to do so, so maybe Slay doesn't end up getting drafted afterall but now 30 other udfa's have already taken their pick of the spoils.

Just no.

By the way...what strain was that? Or the crack?

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
A Player can not bybass the the NFL draft to become eligible for the NFL.

Professional sports may be the only employer in the country where a person can not pick who they work for to start their career.

Technically the Draft is a violation of the Sherman Anti-trust Act. The NFL gets away with it do to an agreement in collective bargaining with the NFLPA. Why? Because unions are exempt from Anti trust laws.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If a draft eligible college kid knows damn well he's not gonna be drafted should he be allowed to forego the draft entirely and be able to sign as an unrestricted FA when it opens in a couple days(hypothetically).

Wouldn't the extra time with their new team benefit them more than the snowballs chance in hell of being drafted that a lot of these guys face?

Please tell cargo your thoughts on this, please.

Should he be? Probably, yes. Is he? No, not under the collective bargaining agreement.

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Aside from what everyone else said... I'm not seeing the benefit of being with the team early if you don't get to have any interaction with them until after the draft... What am I missing? Also... is Cargo your alt?

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
Let's say he signs with a team and a different team drafts hI'm in the 7th.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
Hell no. First, you have the determination/identification issue that's already been described above. But just as important is that you are giving an arbitrary competitive advantage to players if only because they doubt they'd get drafted in the first place.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
How about this... make the draft be some kind of auction/poker hybrid where the owner and GM of each team has to bid on players with money from their poker money pot... I like this idea cause I think Virginia's corpse face will make an excellent poker face.