Uh-oh: Mitch vs Fields rookie year.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
If bears get the next hc right and fields starts showing major improvement I wonder what the troll pivot subject will be going forward lol

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Not even 24 hours. ???

You can not stop talking about me for 24 hours. Could you even sleep last night? Or was it like, "God damn that Black Rainbow! I'll show him someday!!" at 3am.
You took me off ignore that quickly? That was faster than you going dark

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
Is this the thread for the Long Beach area meat up?

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Maybe we should go? I'm sure he is normal in real lyfe?
Jesus not to visit him lol, I legit haven’t been there. Been to more countries than states and cities here in the USA

Canth

Liked Posts:
Probably saved Fields from having worse stats than he has now...Imagine him starting against the Rams week 1 like many posters wanted. Would have been like the Cleveland game.

The part that you cannot seem to understand in that scenario is that Nagy literally didn't prepare Fields to be the starter until he was forced into the position when Dalton got hurt. He gave him 0 reps with the 1s through the entire offseason and training camp. The week of the Cleveland game, Nagy said in a press conference something along the lines of it was great to finally give Fields some reps so they could see what he could do and how much they were learning about Fields's strengths, etc. They had the guy at that point for what? 4.5 months on the roster? And the coaching staff was just then starting to figure out what worked and didn't work for Fields? And even then, you watch the Cleveland game and realize they knew even less than we thought and gave the guy damn near no help - they didn't move the pocket, play-action, or make any serious attempt to establish a run game. They tied an anchor to him, threw Fields in the deep end, and said sink or swim.

They are damn lucky that Fields appears to be both physically and mentally tough enough to play through that and that he was able to improve as the season went on. Fields played some of his best games in prime time as well, so he hasn't been afraid of the spotlight - and he has plenty of history to show that anyway from his high school and college days.

Nagy doesn't know how to prepare a team. He was 0-4 after bye weeks. The only opener he won was vs Lions. And I'm pretty sure he has a losing record after Thursday night games as well when given 10 days to prepare. Simply put, when given more time to prepare, his teams generally play worse.

So yeah, suddenly throwing him against the Rams would have been bad, similar to Cleveland, because Nagy doesn't know how to prepare his team or to put his players in a position to succeed. There are numerous analyses out there showing how poorly designed this offense is and how much harder he makes it on the QB to be successful. This is not just true of Fields, but for every QB and his entire team.

And yes, this likely also applies to Mitch. One of the best development for Mitch this year has how bad this offense looked again with different QBs as people around the league can go...maybe the problems weren't all on Mitch and Foles. Maybe the bigger issue was Nagy not knowing how to gameplan, prepare his team to execute, or put his players in a position to succeed. Nagy this year probably just made Mitch a lot of money for his next contract this upcoming offseason.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
@PrideisBears , assuming this is considered an offensive thread, I am waiting to be tagged into. Also, glad to see that John Fox is finally getting the appreciation he deserves.

baselman1974

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Yep blame Fields when 2017 offense had an power running game identity, a really good defense, and Trubisky wasn’t asked to be main guy on offense.

Fox and Co. ran I-formation alot. Nagy doesn’t like running the ball in the I. Also Mitch played 2 more games. You are trying to compare apple to oranges. How about Josh Allen rookie to Mitch rookie. Please show that as well.

Last edited:

stelz

Heavily Medicated
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The part that you cannot seem to understand in that scenario is that Nagy literally didn't prepare Fields to be the starter until he was forced into the position when Dalton got hurt. He gave him 0 reps with the 1s through the entire offseason and training camp. The week of the Cleveland game, Nagy said in a press conference something along the lines of it was great to finally give Fields some reps so they could see what he could do and how much they were learning about Fields's strengths, etc. They had the guy at that point for what? 4.5 months on the roster? And the coaching staff was just then starting to figure out what worked and didn't work for Fields? And even then, you watch the Cleveland game and realize they knew even less than we thought and gave the guy damn near no help - they didn't move the pocket, play-action, or make any serious attempt to establish a run game. They tied an anchor to him, threw Fields in the deep end, and said sink or swim.

They are damn lucky that Fields appears to be both physically and mentally tough enough to play through that and that he was able to improve as the season went on. Fields played some of his best games in prime time as well, so he hasn't been afraid of the spotlight - and he has plenty of history to show that anyway from his high school and college days.

Nagy doesn't know how to prepare a team. He was 0-4 after bye weeks. The only opener he won was vs Lions. And I'm pretty sure he has a losing record after Thursday night games as well when given 10 days to prepare. Simply put, when given more time to prepare, his teams generally play worse.

So yeah, suddenly throwing him against the Rams would have been bad, similar to Cleveland, because Nagy doesn't know how to prepare his team or to put his players in a position to succeed. There are numerous analyses out there showing how poorly designed this offense is and how much harder he makes it on the QB to be successful. This is not just true of Fields, but for every QB and his entire team.

And yes, this likely also applies to Mitch. One of the best development for Mitch this year has how bad this offense looked again with different QBs as people around the league can go...maybe the problems weren't all on Mitch and Foles. Maybe the bigger issue was Nagy not knowing how to gameplan, prepare his team to execute, or put his players in a position to succeed. Nagy this year probably just made Mitch a lot of money for his next contract this upcoming offseason.
This is an awesome post.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
I mean. OP has a point. Not saying I think Feilds is a bust yet... but...
I don't think anyone here on the message board or otherwise think that Fields isn't having a statistically bad season.

So what's the point again...?

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
Jesus not to visit him lol, I legit haven’t been there. Been to more countries than states and cities here in the USA

Oh...I think he wanted to meat up though? As if that's a normal thing.

Krogoth

Liked Posts:
Go Blue (is that why you seem to dislike Fields)? Anyways; Lies, damned lies, and statistics...

Lots of folks here like to hate on Mitchell because he didn't live up to the draft status, (and really , in the end, just not that good), nothing wrong with that. I think Mitchell will be a good back up for many, many years in the league. I think Fields floor is closer to the top of Mitchell's ceiling. How high that ceiling goes remains to be determined.

The bolded statement is just as ridiculous as someone saying the bears should cut him today.

The kid shows all the hallmarks that plague some pretty underwhelming draft picks. Limited ability to read a defense thus far. Inability to anticipate throws, only throwing when he sees it open. Terrible ball security. hard time adjusting to NFL speed.

Those issues are the exact same things that every young QB has to overcome, and the success rate is low when the list is that long.

He has decent feet and a good arm, but what does that matter without the fundamentals?

At the very best he is a 100% unknown commodity, and this year was a complete waste.
At worst, he is who he has been all year.