Urlacher on firing back at Bears' critics: 'I'm not going to hold my tongue'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Liked Posts:
url-cbs-ap.jpg

Brian Urlacher says he gets irritated when he hears criticism directed at his teammates. (Nam Y. Huh/AP)

By Vaughn McClure

Bears linebacker Brian Urlacher talked to the Tribune about his high expectations for the defense this season. That wasn't the only issue he addressed as the team prepares to report to training camp Thursday.

Here are some of the other topics the six-time Pro Bowler offered his take on entering his 11th season:

On speaking out against criticism, such as Gale Sayers' comments: "If someone says something I don't like, I'm not going to hold my tongue. It's not fair for us to have people go out there and say stuff about us but there are no consequences to what they say. The consequences are us firing back. They can say whatever they want to about me. There's nothing worse they can say about me. But I get irritated when they talk about my teammates and my coaches."

On NFL Network's Michael Lombardi saying the Bears have just two blue-chip players in Julius Peppers and Lance Briggs: "I don't even know who the guy is, first of all. I watch NFL Network all the time and I guess he's on there. I don't care about that stuff. They can say we don't have any blue-chippers. Who cares? What's a blue-chipper? I think every starter in the NFL is a blue-chipper."On the proposed 18-game season: "I don't care either way, as long as they take away some of those preseason games. Yes, you open yourself up to more wear-and-tear because it's 18 games that matter, but I'd rather play in games that matter than those preseason games."

On NFL's renewed emphasis on preventing concussions: "I don't think about it. I think I had one my fourth year in Denver, a pretty good one. I think I missed two plays. That's the worst one I could think of. You get dinged up during games every once in a while. You're like 'Wow, I was a little hazy after that play.' That's just the way it goes. It doesn't cross my mind when I'm out there."

On Bears running back Matt Forte: "Matt Forte looks unreal to me. He looks smooth and fast. In this offense, you look at Marshall Faulk ... Forte could be just like him. That's who I'd compare him to with his speed and the way he's coming out of his breaks. With the way he catches the ball, I don't see how we can't do the same thing with him as Faulk did in this offense."

On the possible lockout: "I know it's a big topic right now. I'm just going to try and go out this year and play well. I need to worry about my play on the football field and not what's going on with all that other stuff. But I know it's in the back a lot of people's minds, especially the young guys, the ones who don't have those contracts."

On the favorites to get to the Super Bowl: "I've got to say us. In the AFC, you have to go with the Colts. I know the Saints are going to be tough again. Our division is the toughest in the league. The AFC East is tough, I know that. And we play those teams this season."

On his role in the Cover 2: "I want to make plays. Yes, it has taken me out of plays in the past, but it's good for our team. When I go back and look at the film, I did make a lot of plays in the Cover 2. They're just plays down the field. But it works."

On former teammate Adewale Ogunleye being jobless: "Yes, I'm surprised. But I think he's waiting for the right time. When training camp starts, he'll get the call from somebody. I just want to see him go somewhere and play."

On the pressure coach Lovie Smith faces: "The pressure is on every year. I know they are saying he could be a lame-duck coach. What does he have, one year left on his deal after this year? Winning solves a lot of problems. If we go out there and win and play well, it's not going to matter. He's going to be here for a while if we win."

More...

Lefty

Liked Posts:
Great, so now he's going to be continually picking fights with the media.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
It isn't going to be picking fights but it sure beats his last 3-4 years of media conversations being only: Yes, No, yes, I don't know, talk to Jay Glazer, only Fox sports, I only will talk through Jay Glazer, no. End.

Captain Iago

Giver of Occular Proof
Donator
Liked Posts:
It isn't going to be picking fights but it sure beats his last 3-4 years of media conversations being only: Yes, No, yes, I don't know, talk to Jay Glazer, only Fox sports, I only will talk through Jay Glazer, no. End.

I think there was an "eat dinner" in there somewhere. :D

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Urlacher............has always been kind of a douche. He should stop that.

Lefty

Liked Posts:
Yet he gets away with it in Chicago, and in some cases fans flock to him because he's such a wildly outrageous asshole. Just goes to show that Chicago fans (and media) are the worst.

Captain Iago

Giver of Occular Proof
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yet he gets away with it in Chicago, and in some cases fans flock to him because he's such a wildly outrageous asshole. Just goes to show that Chicago fans (and media) are the worst.

He does get away with it, but I question fans flock to him because he's such a wildly outrageous asshole.

TheDude13

Liked Posts:
Maybe fans flock to him because hes been such a key player in chicagos defense since his rookie year. Yeah hes a douche, and he calls his kid and his qb names(allegedly) but beyond all of that, hes been a damn good middle linebacker throughout his career. Do people flock to ray lewis because he may or may not have been a part of a murder conspiracy? No, its because he plays good football. Media attention can be attributed to the fact that urlacher hasnt been very prominent in the public eye, but the fans ire? Not so much.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
He also has, or at least had, a horribly stupid drop off point for his kid. Using the Hinsdale oasis as a drop of exchange is dumb because you can't turn around from the way your going on it.

bossdrb

The Boss
Donator
Liked Posts:
At least he's being honest and not sugar coating everything. He should be, but have to respect it a bit.

Lefty

Liked Posts:
Maybe fans flock to him because hes been such a key player in chicagos defense since his rookie year. Yeah hes a douche, and he calls his kid and his qb names(allegedly) but beyond all of that, hes been a damn good middle linebacker throughout his career. Do people flock to ray lewis because he may or may not have been a part of a murder conspiracy? No, its because he plays good football. Media attention can be attributed to the fact that urlacher hasnt been very prominent in the public eye, but the fans ire? Not so much.

Right, because people loving Ray Lewis because he may or may not be a murderer is totally the same as Bears fans flocking to an asshole middle linebacker in a town known for their love of overt "toughness".

RustedShut

Liked Posts:
I really hope Urlacher reverts to his old form. I feel that Peppers taking up 2 blockers will free up Urlacher.

MRN

MRNeverwearthesamething
Donator
Liked Posts:
I actually like that he doesn't shut his mouth.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I really hope Urlacher reverts to his old form. I feel that Peppers taking up 2 blockers will free up Urlacher.

Tommie Harris being good>>>>Peppers being good in relation to freeing up Urlacher.

Status
Not open for further replies.