USA Today's NFL editor: 'Lazor revealed aspects of Fields' potential that Nagy clearly doesn't understand'

Toast88

Liked Posts:
I like how after what happened in 2019, Nagy basically said that he was going to spend the offseason being introspective. And here it is, 2021, and he can't even admit that he has not been good as a playcaller, and give full credit to someone that puts this team in a much better position to succeed. He basically has to be forced into it, meanwhile frantically reminding everyone that everything still goes through him.

I fully expect Nagy to take back playcalling at some point. Now that he's failed as a playcaller and been forced to give up those duties more than once, you'd think he'd realize that he should just be done with that. Instead, he says stuff like, "calling plays is something I love doing". (like he did before the season started)

As much as I appreciate Lazor putting Fields in a position to succeed, I really hope it doesn't help save Nagy's job.
It really is an unbelievable shithead move to be asked about whether your OC called the plays, and then make it all about you.

Any person who’s not a shitbag wouldn’t try to hide it. They’d be heaping praise on their OC, coaches and players. Nagy would do well to remember how he got this job in the first place, because of the full-throated support and trust by Andy Reid.

Instead, Nagy has to tell everyone how it’s really him who deserves credit, how it’s really him who made the good game happen.

A common refrain about Nagy the past few years has been that he’s a good guy, but maybe not a good coach. I’d submit we have enough evidence now to show he’s a bad coach *and* a major league asshole.

Yogi

Liked Posts:
It really is an unbelievable shithead move to be asked about whether your OC called the plays, and then make it all about you.

Any person who’s not a shitbag wouldn’t try to hide it. They’d be heaping praise on their OC, coaches and players. Nagy would do well to remember how he got this job in the first place, because of the full-throated support and trust by Andy Reid.

Instead, Nagy has to tell everyone how it’s really him who deserves credit, how it’s really him who made the good game happen.

A common refrain about Nagy the past few years has been that he’s a good guy, but maybe not a good coach. I’d submit we have enough evidence now to show he’s a bad coach *and* a major league asshole.

It was really striking compared to Bruce Arians, who was pissed Leftwich was getting left out of all the hype about their offensive success ahead of the Super Bowl:

“I mean, people give me way too much credit because I don’t do shit, really. He does it all. He calls the plays. I’m really upset he didn’t get a head-coaching interview."

Brownie

Liked Posts:
I still think you are arguing against yourself a bit here - you SEE it, but then your Bears pathos sets in. Not that I blame you, but here's how I see it, and I've been watching since 93:

The McCaskeys hate to be embarrassed and HATE negative NATIONAL media attention on them and their team. They really couldn't give a shit about local, but NATIONAL gets the gears turning.

After Justin Fields' start in Cleveland, the monolith that is the National Media has gone FULL FORCE on Matt Nagys ass and will not let up - I mean, I've seen some shit before here and there, but even during the Trestman shit, when we were just the butt of some national jokes, I have never, EVER seen the National media this LIVID, and LASER-FOCUSED on Matt Nagy.

Its the kind of thing that makes this organization make a change.

Now that alone would usually be enough. But there's more.

Nagy's press conferences are feeding the national press even further, showing a coach that appears to be having a week to week degenerative mental breakdown over losing this job, combined with thinking in some sort of sad desperation that if he can just PROVE his genius with Andy Dalton, that SOMEHOW, that would be enough to save his job. And it makes him look unstable, and unfit to be a head coach.

Then you have some outside factors that ABSOLUTELY could play a part here - the Bears interest in Arlington Heights, AND the rumors that the next generation of McCaskey kids want NOTHING to do with the football operation, and want their parents to sell.

IF the Bears are seriously going to try to sell, then it is in their best interest to drive up the value of the franchise as high as possible, and don't worry about debt because the buyer will inherit it anyway.

The stadium is a great way to do that, as is making a splash for head coach to develop your new quarterback.

NOTHING about Matt Nagy improves the value of the franchise. In fact, right now he is an IMPEDEMENT.

So, I think there is enough smoke there, that there is no way Nagy is the head coach going into 2022..

Solid reasonings Sir.... From your lips to God's ear lol

dweebs19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I honestly think the best thing Nagy can do to save his ass, is just stfu and let Lazor call plays the rest of the season with Fields. As long as the offense is working, nobody will care that Nagy didn't call the plays. Just STFU and people will forget about it and he might have a chance to come back next year if the offense improves under Lazor. If the offense doesn't improve under Lazor, everyone is out of a job next year except for maybe Desai.

mecha

Liked Posts:
there's a seeming notion that Nagy will lose his job if he doesn't reinvent the wheel as an offensive playcaller. if the offense succeeds with Lazor at the helm and he intends on actually remaining with the team unlike that cuck clown Adam Gase, then Nagy's doing his job and so is Lazor. I don't think it's worth fucking with the culture and continuity of a team because the head coach wound up not being exactly what he was advertised to be (some offensive genius stemming from the Andy Reid coaching tree).

he needs to get his pieces in order for gameday, they hired him to be a head coach, not an offensive coordinator. I think his basic function is doing that and letting Lazor and Desai do what they do and the combination of the 3 heads win games.

Mephias

Liked Posts:
there's a seeming notion that Nagy will lose his job if he doesn't reinvent the wheel as an offensive playcaller. if the offense succeeds with Lazor at the helm and he intends on actually remaining with the team unlike that cuck clown Adam Gase, then Nagy's doing his job and so is Lazor. I don't think it's worth fucking with the culture and continuity of a team because the head coach wound up not being exactly what he was advertised to be (some offensive genius stemming from the Andy Reid coaching tree).

he needs to get his pieces in order for gameday, they hired him to be a head coach, not an offensive coordinator. I think his basic function is doing that and letting Lazor and Desai do what they do and the combination of the 3 heads win games.
That's his job, except his issue is that the first interview where he has a chance to be a head coach and heap praise on his coordinators, he goes into a psycho rant about how it all "goes through" him.

46FEVER

Liked Posts:
There are 2 qbs in the league that could be successful running Nagys b.s. offense imo. One plays for Tampa, the other for GB. The fact one has shown animosity towards a certain team for not bringing him in hints at the fact it could have been Tom Brady.

The off-season dialogue with the media and Rodgers tells me he may have had contact with Nagy as well last summer.

Nagy has to go. He might actually be dumb enough to trade Fields for Rodgers after this season for a 2 year qb1.

jsu34

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
There was a thread a few weeks ago about which head coach in recent history was the worse, and I think people generally said it was Trestman. Nagy is clearly the worst hands down. Just think how bad things would have been if Cutler was Nagy's QB and Brandon Marshall was poisoning the locker room. Trestman had his warts, but he was also given a terrible hand by Phil Emery. Trestman would actually have given Trubisky a better chance at a successful career and probably would have been great for Fields.
All true, but he clung to Tucker who fielded one of the worse defenses in modern NFL history.

jsu34

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
And as I watch what's happening with Nagy it makes me consider preferring Trestman.

mecha

Liked Posts:
That's his job, except his issue is that the first interview where he has a chance to be a head coach and heap praise on his coordinators, he goes into a psycho rant about how it all "goes through" him.
I'm not saying he isn't a dickhead. but they have the tools at their disposal to right the ship. only 1/4 of the season has been played. as Lovie Smith famously said (often) there's a lot of footbaw left. if the Nagy administration were to succeed, I'm just saying there's a case to just leave it be if he stops being a megalomaniacal dickbag.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
And as I watch what's happening with Nagy it makes me consider preferring Trestman.
I'm not saying the Trestman era didn't quickly run its course, but people do have a weird fictional account of what that era was like.

The problem wasn't that the team didn't play well or that he couldn't develop an effective offense, especially in relation to what we're used to as Bears fans. The problem was that he could not keep a locker room intact to save his life. Kromer-gate. Briggs skipping practice to open up a BBQ restaurant. Cutler and Marshall being super weird all the time.

But I keep hearing people say stuff like, "This offensive ineptitude is bordering on Trestman bad," but dude, Trestman in one year took the Bears offense from 28th in the league (29th in passing) to 8th in the league (5th in passing).

Trestman's offense was the high-water mark for this organization, sadly.

mecha

Liked Posts:
I'm not saying the Trestman era didn't quickly run its course, but people do have a weird fictional account of what that era was like.

The problem wasn't that the team didn't play well or that he couldn't develop an effective offense, especially in relation to what we're used to as Bears fans. The problem was that he could not keep a locker room intact to save his life. Kromer-gate. Briggs skipping practice to open up a BBQ restaurant. Cutler and Marshall being super weird all the time.

But I keep hearing people say stuff like, "This offensive ineptitude is bordering on Trestman bad," but dude, Trestman in one year took the Bears offense from 28th in the league (29th in passing) to 8th in the league (5th in passing).

offensively, the team was stacked with Marshall/Jeffery/Bennett/Forte. the offensive line was also probably its best since 2006 (amidst all the controversy with Kyle Long being drafted as high as he was with minimal college experience). that period's only real blemish was fielding the absolute worst defenses in team history. Tucker gets the vast majority of the blame, but the players that were so butthurt Lovie Smith got fired didn't help. Lance Briggs was a great player, but kind of a fucking jackoff of a human being for a multitude of reasons. also the team moving on from Urlacher, their leader, didn't help either.

Phil Emery conducted a lot of very poor business (defense; the record-setting Cutler contract [for doing nothing])aside from masterfully retooling the offense to open the door for a Trestman-type to fit in the first place. I don't think I was alone in being totally mind=blown at how they were able to gain first downs almost at will with Cutler and McCown in 2013.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

It definitely was a weird time, but remember that Trestman's offense bombed year 2. That might be what people are remembering. A lot of that was on Cutler though. In Year One, the offense really clicked and started putting up big statistical numbers when Cutler got hurt and McCown took over. McCown was for sure the lesser talented quarterback, but because of that, he actually ran Trestman's system as designed, and because he didn't get rid of the ball late like Cutler, but instead on time, receivers were putting up huge yac in between the 20s, as McCown would hit them on time and while they were on the move, vs Cutler who no matter what offensive system he was in, would always stare down the deep ball first, giving the defense a chance to correct itself whenever a receiver would come open underneath, meaning the hole in the defense underneath was no longer there when Cutler FINALLY would decide to dump off, leading to the receiver getting tackled at the spot of the catch rather than on the move with open field in front of them.

McCowns limitations would then show themselves once they got to the red zone - he just wasn't a good enough QB and didn't have a strong enough arm to punch it in.

Still, it was a very good system, but as you said, all the other nonsense, not to mention Kromer's frustration with Cutler's shit in ignoring the offensive scheme to run what he wanted to spilling out into the public square, doomed him. And a second season offensive regression on top of it....

Toast88

Liked Posts:
^^^All absolutely true. Completely agree with you guys 100 percent. Still, when people say Nagy's offensive ineptitude "is bordering on being as bad as Trestman," that's absolute revisionist history. Trestman's offense was never nearly as bad as any offensive scheme that came afterward, including Nagy, even in Trestman's second year. That's really my only point.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
There are 2 qbs in the league that could be successful running Nagys b.s. offense imo. One plays for Tampa, the other for GB. The fact one has shown animosity towards a certain team for not bringing him in hints at the fact it could have been Tom Brady.

The off-season dialogue with the media and Rodgers tells me he may have had contact with Nagy as well last summer.

Nagy has to go. He might actually be dumb enough to trade Fields for Rodgers after this season for a 2 year qb1.
Nah. He'd make Brady look average.

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
Fields played the Lions. He did better but every QB does better when facing the lions. We'll see more and know more as the season goes and Fields gets more time to learn. Just keep Nagy away so we can get a real assessment on Fields.

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:

Brady and Rodgers would audible out of Nagys calls the majority of the time. They would understand the system being ran is horrible and do their own thing. However, if they absolutely had to follow Nagys calls and game plan, I don’t think they would be as successful as you might think. That’s how bad Nagy is.