Vasher among familiar faces awaiting Bears

Status
Not open for further replies.
Liked Posts:
By Brad Biggs

The Bears are going to see plenty of familiar faces during their trip to San Diego.

The Chargers' coaching staff is full of assistants with ties to the Bears. Since Ron Rivera took over as the defensive coordinator during the 2008 season, he has added some men he worked with during his tenure with the Bears. Don Johnson coaches the defensive line and Steve Wilks handles the secondary, positions they coached previously for the Bears.

Then there is the roster, led by veteran cornerback Nathan Vasher. Look for the Interceptor to spend some time with the first unit in Saturday's game. He probably will line up on both sides. Vasher is challenging Antoine Cason for a starting job, and took advantage of time he had with the ones earlier in camp when Cason was sidelined with a hamstring injury.
"I think he's doing outstanding. I think he's been very, very consistent," Chargers coach Norv Turner said of Vasher on the team's Web site. "He's got a good understanding of what we're doing. I'm excited to watch him play in these preseason games."

General manager Jerry Angelo said he planned to bring Vasher to training camp this summer and then had a change of heart and released the one-time Pro Bowl performer. He landed with the Chargers and will, at the minimum, provide them with depth. Also on the roster are defensive tackles Alfonso Boone and Antonio Garay, both one-time Bears. Kicker Nick Novak also has spent time in training camp and the offseason with the Bears.

The Bears will practice Thursday at 3 p.m. and then travel to San Diego on Friday.

More...

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
Hmm they didn't bring back Ian Scott though. He wound up being their starting NT after injuries most of last year.

Nerrad

Liked Posts:
definitely dont miss Vasher. he was a complete waste once he got hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.