VDN blows timeouts; Bulls lose

Wade Wilson

Liked Posts:
Re:Vinny...

Derrick Rose is a weird dude. After just taking ownership from the start of the game Saturday, he coasts through tonight, content with dropping the ball off to the screener or settling for the jumper, even with Rondo having no lateral quickness in the second half. Is it fear of success, of taking too much of the limelight?

AirP

Liked Posts:

Wade Wilson wrote:
Derrick Rose is a weird dude. After just taking ownership from the start of the game Saturday, he coasts through tonight, content with dropping the ball off to the screener or settling for the jumper, even with Rondo having no lateral quickness in the second half. Is it fear of success, of taking too much of the limelight?

When Rondo got hurt Vinnie should have told Rose the game was his. The difference in Ben Gordon scoring a bunch and Rose scoring a bunch... Rose also makes easy baskets for teammates... including open looks for Gordon. There's a reason why you run your offense through Rose instead of Gordon, because more of the team is involved... but when you have a hot hand you ride it out.

vhans5219

Liked Posts:

Noah should dunked that ball instead of going for a layup
and also Brad hustle and get the ball before you get caught up with someone and get called for a jump ball. Also BG had a good game but the player of the game was Ray Allen.

Fred

Liked Posts:

You know, I hate the +- stat, but there is a reason that the Bulls were -21 in the 20 minutes Tyrus played. He is an absolutey horrible fundamental defensive rebounder.

On the opposite end, you have Brad Miller...Absolutely rock solid fundamentally. He might not have all the jaw dropping blocks, but then again, whose jaw drops when you grab a defensive rebound? He was +19.

Newskoolbulls

Liked Posts:

Fred wrote:
You know, I hate the +- stat, but there is a reason that the Bulls were -21 in the 20 minutes Tyrus played. He is an absolutey horrible fundamental defensive rebounder.

On the opposite end, you have Brad Miller...Absolutely rock solid fundamentally. He might not have all the jaw dropping blocks, but then again, whose jaw drops when you grab a defensive rebound? He was +19.

Amen amen amen

charity stripe

Liked Posts:

Tyrus' blocks went right back to the Celtics for offensive boards which translated to easy buckets. That happens very often and gets overlooked. So his spectacular blocked shots are actually harmful to the team.

Wade Wilson

Liked Posts:

AirP wrote:
Wade Wilson wrote:

When Rondo got hurt Vinnie should have told Rose the game was his. The difference in Ben Gordon scoring a bunch and Rose scoring a bunch... Rose also makes easy baskets for teammates... including open looks for Gordon. There's a reason why you run your offense through Rose instead of Gordon, because more of the team is involved... but when you have a hot hand you ride it out.

I would hope that Vinny, or someone, tried to tell Rose to be more aggressive. The Bulls need someone that is constantly gonna be on Rose's back, pushing him, giving him that kick in the behind.

And I don't even have a problem with Gordon being the #1 option on a night like this, it's just Rose needs to be able to pick his spots and pick up the slack when Gordon is denied the ball rather than giving the ball to Brade Miller or someone else and puting them in position to try and make a play.

Basghetti80

Liked Posts:
Boy that is a tough loss. I just knew we were going up 2-0 when we were up by 5 late. It is so easy to nitpick in a game like this but if you reflect on things we have to feel good about where we are. The series is winnable and just a few days ago even without KG things did not feel as winnable as they do know.

1) The timeouts thing with VDN is easily the most concerning thing however. It would have given Gordon a chance to tie this game at the buzzer. We have to get to a point where we figure things out without having to call a timeout all the time.

2) I am not as concerned with the so called passiveness of Rose. He does seem to defer to Gordon when he is hot but Rose also seems to have a knack for knowing when we need him to attack for the most part. Sometimes he will know and sometimes he won't. He is a rookie, we can't forget that.

3) Our frontline is going to have to fight for the ball more on the glass. I know the blocks are impressive but sometimes it is better to play straight up and be in better position for the rebound than having yourself up in the air trying to block a shot and therefore having yourself out of position. But that is not the culprit all the time I know that. Sometimes you got to just throw your body in there and battle a little harder. This is an area where we miss Deng. He rebounds well for his position.

4) We got to be careful here with Allen. He is the kind of shooter that when hot can carry that team for a series. With that said our attention will be on him bigtime in Game 3 and the guy to watch out for is Pierce. He has had two so so games and is potentially due for a breakout game. Salmons is doing a solid job but if Pierce gets going he can go for 30 in a heartbeat.

5) The energy level has to be at a high level for 40 minutes for us to win this series. One thing I think playing in Chicago will do is this team is going to run the floor like crazy in Chicago and our young legs can give them fits. I honestly believe if Chicago can win games 3 and 4 the series is over. The fans must be electric and we must control the backboards and push the ball with Rose at ALL TIMES!! That is how they will beat Boston. Rebounding and Running!

**On a side note most of us have thought for this entire season that this team is one star player away from being elite. This series shows that I think. If Paxson and co. can bring in Bosh or Amare via trade to go with Rose and also still be able to sign Gordon long term then that threesome with Noah can win a championship. I firmly believe that. You got the man running the show in Rose, the big game elite shooter in Gordon, the energy and defensive bigman in Noah and the co star to go with the star in Rose--Get it done and pay the tax because we are close, real close!**

Rose1

Liked Posts:
We had a chance to go 2-0 and our players didn't put their foot on the Celtics neck with applied pressure. I'm thinking, why are we trading baskets with them. Allen ability to make shots was starting to ignite; we should of made the adjustment defensively. And tyrus need to take lessons from Bill Russell. Block the shot and keep it in play! Rose played good tonight. I like how he got everyone involve despite the Celtics pressure. I expect Rose to take the ROY crown when he gets back home. I can't picture him letting Boston come in the UC and taking a 2-1 lead. Hinrich once again showed why he's limited on the offensive end. He's a good spot-up shooter but not as versatile on the offensive end like Gordon. Pay Gordon his money Jerry. You'll are a joke if you think Hinrich will provide that type of effort in the offensive end like Gordon. As much as Ray will score, expect Gordon to match his scoring if not higher. The wild cards are Ty.Thomas and Noah.

Ralphb07

Liked Posts:
I'm gonna be alone on this one but I think everyone is overlooking something. The game was Vinny's fault but not with the timeouts. It was fine for him to take those timeouts but what he messed up on was not taking the last shot.

Boston should of never got the ball back. There was like a second difference from shot/game clock and we ran our play too fast giving Boston too much time.

If his plan was to leave that much time on the clock than he shouldn't of took it but I question running the play so fast and he should of told the players to wind the clock down

Ralphb07

Liked Posts:
This game was lost on the rebounding side. We gave Boston way too many 2nd chances and it hurt us. But guys we gotta be happy going home 1-1 and we need the UC to be crazy for game 3 and 4. Anyone going to this game I'm asking to act crazy and get whoever is in your area just as crazy

we need to win both these and we can only do it if the fans do their jobs

Newskoolbulls

Liked Posts:
Perkins and Davis should not be abusing us, this unacceptable.

Rerisen

Liked Posts:

Wade Wilson wrote:

In one of the articles after Game 1, Derrick said he didn't view any TV or media about his performance. That if he lost a game, he wouldn't watch it, so why would he if he won one?

But in light of Game 2, it seems like Derrick in his solitude, may have missed the big news. That there is a new star rookie on the scene with amazing talent and take over ability named Derrick Rose.

The whole season it has seemed Derrick has not known his own abilities, or was always holding something back for what reason I don't know. Now he comes out tonight, and acts like Game 1 never happened, almost as if he has shown enough for a bit and needed to scale back.

I thought after Game 1, that on/off hibernating Derrick Rose was gone for good - or at least gone in the playoffs, when we need him so much more. I wouldn't say there were tons of opportunities for him with BG controlling the offense so well, but there were some, and he made little attempt to take advantage when he had the chance. Especially against a gimpy Rondo early in the 2nd half, he had a great chance to attack and put Rondo on the defensive to shake him out of his rhythm. Boston's entire front line was in foul trouble too, without Powe on the bench. But he never even tried to take it at them.

Ralphb07

Liked Posts:
Newskoolbulls wrote:
Perkins and Davis should not be abusing us, this unacceptable.

The 2nd chance points just killed us and if we just get to ONE of those and we win. But everyone needs to stay positive. We went to Boston split them and played tough both games.....

We need the crowd to give us that lift and show the Bulls we appreciate what they did and make sure we give them the home court advantage we need

That's what scares me is the crowd at the UC has been weak all year and we can't have that. We need to make it hostile and give our players the extra lift they need

dougthonus

Liked Posts:
That's what scares me is the crowd at the UC has been weak all year and we can't have that.

I've been to every playoff game since 04/05, and the UC crowd has always been outstanding in the playoffs.

Diddy1122

I ain't your pal dickface
Liked Posts:
In game 1 it took an amazing game by Rondo & Pierce just to stay with us, despite the fact we turned the ball over 17 times. In game 2 it took another amazing Rondo performance, equally amazing Allen performance, & a career game from Big Baby just to beat us by 3. And we gave up 21 offensive rebounds.

I would say confidence should be at an all time high. The Bulls havent even played their best ball in this series yet. There have been amazing individual performances, but not a dominating team performance which I expect to see at the UC on Thursday.

Bulls in 6.

TheStig

Liked Posts:
dougthonus wrote:
That's what scares me is the crowd at the UC has been weak all year and we can't have that.

I've been to every playoff game since 04/05, and the UC crowd has always been outstanding in the playoffs.
It is completely different between regular season and playoffs. It is really quiet during the regular season and it gets really loud during the playoffs. It actually sounds like a basketball game is going on and I don't recall anything about big macs being mentioned either.

newbalancerun07

Liked Posts:

DerrickRose1 wrote:
2nd straight game he uses all timeouts before the end. What an idiot.

I was driving home and listening on ESPN 1000. I almost veered off the road when I heard Bill say that Vinny used all our timeouts!! I was almost sure then that we were not going to win the game :( Ohhh Vinny, what to do with you...This team deserves a coach that come through for them as much as the players have come through for his sake.

badboy

Liked Posts:
The truth definitely is that our weakness with defensive rebounding showed itself again and is the reason we lost. Another thing with the timeouts they were called at the right time but the play that Gordon tied the game was wrong. We should have milked the clock and taken the last shot of the game for the win. With no timeouts left we should have never shot so quickly.

newbalancerun07

Liked Posts:

Newskoolbulls wrote:
Pete Meyers your now in charge of timeouts, yea its that bad it has come to this.

At this point I would let the fans text their vote of when to call timeouts!! That would be more effective. LOL Just a thought.