Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Cutting a 3rd round pick not even the full year into his rookie year is absolutely a big deal and a wasted draft pick.
No it's not. You obviously want them to succeed but only about 25% of them ultimately do. I agree it would be unusual to cut a 3rd round player in his 1st year and obviously a GM likes his own picks until they've proven to fail. Velus hasn't had enough time to prove that yet but losing a 3rd round pick is actually no big deal if it comes a year or 2 earlier than normal.

Wide Receiver

The crazy thing is that unlike the other skill positions (QB, RB, TE) they don't have a goose egg in one of the rounds. WR has at least had success in every round. That said, the numbers are really that great and the bust factor in the first round is tied for the worst overall.

• Of 317 selected, only 74 have become starters for at least half their careers.
  • The first round success rate is 58% and the second round is almost as good at 49%.
  • The third round has the second highest number of receivers drafted with 52 but only a 25% success rate.

Obviously different takes exist based on the metrics chosen but picks after round 2 tend to be overvalued by fans. That said. There's no reason to cut him now and as I've said, I keep him at least through next years camp. Anyone that thought he'd be a quick study was fooling themselves. Slow to develop in college and will be the same here at a position that rarely sees rookies excel.

Last edited:

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Poles drafted him knowing he'd secure the Bears a top 3 pick. Why you think he only touches the ball at the most crucial moments in the game? Poles playing 5-D chess while the rest of us play chinese checkers.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Think about how the Bears literally don't have any decent receivers right now.

And think about how despite them having no receivers, they still don't trust a third round receiver to run routes.

Velus Jones is the exact type of guy who should be getting a lot of playing time in this offense, with its receiver room being so decimated and talentless. And yet, he can't get on the field.

This guy is toast. I doubt he's on the team next year when the regular season begins.

doctorbear

Liked Posts:
I mostly just watch around here, but I had a great fear I thought I would share. I heard how it was said part of what the Eagles did to succeed was to admit their mistakes. I think we need to admit our mistakes as well and just cut Velus Jones. Yes, it sucks. He was a 3rd round pick. But he is what he is and he turned out to be a liability in every part of the game he is involved in. He drops and muffs returns. He drops as a WR. You can hope all you want as we all do as fans but he just doesn't have the hands and ball security. My great fear is that we keep him. we build a great team. We contend. And then we lose the big game on a Velus Jones drop/fumble. Just go away from that unreliable bad hands crap and cut him. Get people here with hands like glue.
He is by far the worst receiver in the league

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
I believe you’re right. I’m definitely a big believer in admitting mistakes and cutting your losses sooner than later. I was patient with the pick and typically give draft picks a couple of years before concluding what that player is, but I’m done lol…he sucks and is a liability not worth having. Him and Ebner should be cut yesterday
It's to soon, no benefit just yet, give him the off season and camp. Remember Amari Rogers, I think it was the Pack that cut him and he goes to the Texans and lights it up. Go figure!

Nelly

Liked Posts:
Think about how the Bears literally don't have any decent receivers right now.

And think about how despite them having no receivers, they still don't trust a third round receiver to run routes.

Velus Jones is the exact type of guy who should be getting a lot of playing time in this offense, with its receiver room being so decimated and talentless. And yet, he can't get on the field.

This guy is toast. I doubt he's on the team next year when the regular season begins.
I don't disagree on the assessment of Jones himself, but I also think he offers enough value on special teams to carry as a 6th WR. Usually you don't have your 3 of your top 4 guys go down all at the same time like we have.

Bearcub13

Liked Posts:
I don't disagree on the assessment of Jones himself, but I also think he offers enough value on special teams to carry as a 6th WR. Usually you don't have your 3 of your top 4 guys go down all at the same time like we have.
He is legit fast & quick, but his fumbles are probably going to get him a ticket to unemployed free agent next season.

vinson555

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cutting him only makes sense if you can find 6 WR's better than him... which I'll admit, it don't sound too hard but... someone did tease him at Running back...

This game against the Eagles proves that is a no.

redgrange19

Eater of Ham
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I had such high hopes for this guy, but he is a definite bust. He has the hand-eye coordination of a naked mole rat out there.

Also, how did that fucking fumble not go out of bounds? Such a god damn bum he can't even fumble right.

doctorbear

Liked Posts:
I had such high hopes for this guy, but he is a definite bust. He has the hand-eye coordination of a naked mole rat out there.

Also, how did that fucking fumble not go out of bounds? Such a god damn bum he can't even fumble right.
I cannot believe he was a third rounder. Totally disaster of a pick and a failure of scouting. He’s also like 30 fucking years old

doctorbear

Liked Posts:
Cutting him only makes sense if you can find 6 WR's better than him... which I'll admit, it don't sound too hard but... someone did tease him at Running back...

He’s the worst receiver in the fucking league! Anyone who doesn’t fumble on every single play is better

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

He has 27 yards receiving. If Ryan Poles cant find 6 WRs better than him, he shouldn't hold a position in any NFL front office.

melm

Liked Posts:
Feed him the ball 10 times a game. Get him over it. Plenty of opportunities to cut him in the next year and a half, if he can't get over it.

Da Coach

Liked Posts:
Feed him the ball 10 times a game. Get him over it. Plenty of opportunities to cut him in the next year and a half, if he can't get over it.
Yep I agree we're looking to tank and playing your young draft picks is a perfect excuse. This guy might be able to single handedly lose us the gameb if we're lucky

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
Too early to cut him, but he's fucking up a lot of simple stuff, even on a clear out/diversion deep routes:

Its hard to give him more snaps when he has trouble doing something as simple as "run a deep route so we can use the space you create".

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Every GM makes bad picks, so even if you like Poles, it's O.K. to admit that the Velus Jones pick sucked.