Versteeg Retires

Granada

Liked Posts:

Weird how certain players can be so solid, yet completely fall off a cliff in terms of ability. I don't mean to pee on the guy's grave, but Versteeg was one of those players, at least in my view -- came out like gang busters early in his career as a 20-goal scoring, solid 3rd liner, but never really regained his form. But he was huge in 2010 -- scored some massive goals in the playoffs that year. If I remember correctly, he could even throw down on occasion. Didn't fare so well when he was brought back -- like every other retread Bowman reacquired -- but again, I was so bummed to see him leave due to cap reason after 2010. In the end, maybe it was a blessing in disguise he didn't stick around.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
I dont get why this is a story again. He agreed to play in Rockford, then left saying he was retiring.

I really never realized how solid he was during the 2010 run. Big hits, great forecheck, big puck possession line that allowed Kane and Toews some time to rest. He came back and just took a spot from a kid.

After his one last shift on December 15, 2019 I thought it was official.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Weird how certain players can be so solid, yet completely fall off a cliff in terms of ability. I don't mean to pee on the guy's grave, but Versteeg was one of those players, at least in my view -- came out like gang busters early in his career as a 20-goal scoring, solid 3rd liner, but never really regained his form. But he was huge in 2010 -- scored some massive goals in the playoffs that year. If I remember correctly, he could even throw down on occasion. Didn't fare so well when he was brought back -- like every other retread Bowman reacquired -- but again, I was so bummed to see him leave due to cap reason after 2010. In the end, maybe it was a blessing in disguise he didn't stick around.

Damn, that 2010 team was loaded. There were a lot of games where players like Sharp, Versteeg and Ladd took their turns on the 3rd line.....that's three damn good hockey players on your third line. Only thing that kept this team from getting more than the 3 Cups they got was the salary cap. Couldn't agree more about Versteeg. He kind of got lost in the shuffle....a lot of people overlooked him, myself included. Watching the 2010 run a second time gives us a better perspective of what these guys accomplished and how good they really were. Hell, they beat a Philly team that was also loaded....only thing that held them back in the Finals was lack of a big time goalie.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Watching 2010 Finals game 5......first 8 minutes of that game was total domination by the Hawks....amazing they didn't score in those 8 minutes. Heh, heh....they will though.

Granada

Liked Posts:
Damn, that 2010 team was loaded. There were a lot of games where players like Sharp, Versteeg and Ladd took their turns on the 3rd line.....that's three damn good hockey players on your third line. Only thing that kept this team from getting more than the 3 Cups they got was the salary cap. Couldn't agree more about Versteeg. He kind of got lost in the shuffle....a lot of people overlooked him, myself included. Watching the 2010 run a second time gives us a better perspective of what these guys accomplished and how good they really were. Hell, they beat a Philly team that was also loaded....only thing that held them back in the Finals was lack of a big time goalie.

I actually find it hard to watch those old videos now, as weird as that sounds. It's sad seeing how great the Hawks once were, considering where they are now.

That team had crazy depth. I remember having this discussion on the old Hawks board -- I still believe, if I had to pick the best Cup team, it was the 2010 squad -- no question. That team was just so damn well-rounded. Other than maybe a strong PP and a knockout-goalie, they literally had it all: speed (one of the fastest teams in the league), skill, grit (Madden, Kopy), physicality (Buff, Brouw, Eager, Fras), pests (Bolland, Burish), and a perfect mix of vets and young players.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
I didn't realize he wasn't already retired. But good for him. Best of luck and such.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I actually find it hard to watch those old videos now, as weird as that sounds. It's sad seeing how great the Hawks once were, considering where they are now.

That team had crazy depth. I remember having this discussion on the old Hawks board -- I still believe, if I had to pick the best Cup team, it was the 2010 squad -- no question. That team was just so damn well-rounded. Other than maybe a strong PP and a knockout-goalie, they literally had it all: speed (one of the fastest teams in the league), skill, grit (Madden, Kopy), physicality (Buff, Brouw, Eager, Fras), pests (Bolland, Burish), and a perfect mix of vets and young players.

You watch and compare, at least that's what I do. For instance, the PP......while the success rate was only about 17% to this year's 15%, it just looked a whole lot better. They pass it better, they launch shots from everywhere and anywhere unlike this year's team of poor passers with an inbred reluctance to shoot the puck. For sure the difference in talent is unmistakeable but there's something to be said about how a coach tailors his team's stategy around it's personel.

Icculus

The Great and Knowledgeable
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Army Black Knights
Remember his rapping at the rally for the 2013 Cup? Good times.

hawkinmontreal

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Oakland Athletics
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Duke Blue Devils

you mentioned there PP, I agree it wasn’t good, but when they really needed to execute and capitalize on it, I remember that team doing so.