My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Lots of projection there.

SD Bears Fan

Liked Posts:
Question..just what in the hell did some scouts see in Trubisky despite the very limited play in college, and the fact that Trubisky played behind a future XFL/arena QB? Pace had a man crush on him for fkng WHY?

100% spot on. All the bears had to know was that he couldn't beat out Marquise Williams or whatever the fuck his name was. Dude was so good he couldn't beat out a guy that never stepped foot on an NFL field. Anybody with any football knowledge could have seen this coming.

Last edited:

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Ya, I guess all those nfl teams and scouts that had him rated as 1st round talent are completely clueless. The lack of genuine football knowledge by expert fans is mind numbing.

SD Bears Fan

Liked Posts:
Ya, I guess all those nfl teams and scouts that had him rated as 1st round talent are completely clueless. The lack of genuine football knowledge by expert fans is mind numbing.

Let's also add in the fact that he didn't exactly tear up the powerful ACC his one year on the field.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Doubling down with a bad hand? After Mitch, team went from 8-5 to 3-9. We're all disappointed but don't rewrite history. Next, you'll bring up the hurricane game.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I note you are ignoring the fact 2 coaches wanted Watson and Pace responded by hiding his decisions from them and doing less due diligence on Watson.

That is not rewriting history. That is what happened at the time and speaks to Pace's dysfunctional front office. It is no wonder they ended up making the wrong choice when your process is that fucked up.

Alpha Male

Liked Posts:
Lots of projection there.
Not sure how. Pace made this pick all by himself. Contrast that with kc where nagy and Reid were involved in the decision. Ultimately Pace had the right to choose whomever he wanted but he should be forced to live and die by that pick. It also does not matter where analysts had trubisky ranked. Good gms have their own draft boards.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
How the fuck do you know for certain that he didn't talk to Ragone or that Fox was oblivious to his preference. Just because he didn't go their way? If he's going to let people pick for him, we don't need a GM. He definitely got their input but went a different way. You also need to know that preferences have degrees of certainty. Mitch may have been their #2 and maybe some scouts wanted Mahomes ans Mitch #2. Obviously most, including Pace, preferred Mitch and he went that way. It happened to be the overall consensus but didn't need to be for Pace to go with Mitch. It's ultimately his decision but to promote that he never spoke to his coaches about it is creating a narrative out of willful ignorance. One thing we do know about Pace is that he never sleeps and is more likely to over scrutinize than he is to ignore input.

http://sportsmockery.com/2019/11/dave-ragone-whose-job-trubisky-saved-preferred-deshaun-watson/

Ultimately, a few scouts had the best take on it with Mahomes. Pace didn't get it right but it wasn't for lack of input or research, nor did he avoid listening to his coaching staff.

Last edited:

TheMarshallPlan

Ladies: Libertarians Do It Better!
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Yes I am sure he did but again if there is dissent within the ranks that should be considered.

I am not suggesting Pace has to give up ultimate decision making.

OK fine, I’ll say it.

Ryan Pace needs to give up ultimate decision making. Preferably because we hire a GM with winning experience, but the McCaskeys will never allow a strongman to be in any position of control in that team.

You can’t fuck up the first round of the draft for half a decade and have Glennon and Mitch be your Piece De Resistance of QBing when other teams have come up with Mahomes, Watson, Jackson and Jimmy G and you had the opportunity to get any of those four guys.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Because there were so many better available options when Pace was hired? Ballard was the other good option and had no more experience or title. Pace may not be the right guy but it has jack to do with these posts. You guys should just sit back and let your heads explode.

SD Bears Fan

Liked Posts:
Doubling down with a bad hand? After Mitch, team went from 8-5 to 3-9. We're all disappointed but don't rewrite history. Next, you'll bring up the hurricane game.

So 8-5 in the ACC and then going to 3-9 in the same shitty conference was a direct result of a great QB like Mitch leaving? Do some research first.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
So 8-5 in the ACC and then going to 3-9 in the same shitty conference was a direct result of a great QB like Mitch leaving? Do some research first.
Do your own. I was just pointing to your fail to make a point. Maybe look at his individual stats to see if that helps your argument. Oh wait!

Last edited:

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
How the fuck do you know for certain that he didn't talk to Ragone or that Fox was oblivious to his preference. Just because he didn't go their way? If he's going to let people pick for him, we don't need a GM. He definitely got their input but went a different way. You also need to know that preferences have degrees of certainty. Mitch may have been their #2 and maybe some scouts wanted Mahomes ans Mitch #2. Obviously most, including Pace, preferred Mitch and he went that way. It happened to be the overall consensus but didn't need to be for Pace to go with Mitch. It's ultimately his decision but to promote that he never spoke to his coaches about it is creating a narrative out of willful ignorance. One thing we do know about Pace is that he never sleeps and is more likely to over scrutinize than he is to ignore input.

http://sportsmockery.com/2019/11/dave-ragone-whose-job-trubisky-saved-preferred-deshaun-watson/

Ultimately, a few scouts had the best take on it with Mahomes. Pace didn't get it right but it wasn't for lack of input or research, nor did he avoid listening to his coaching staff.

I have no idea what you are talking about. I am referring to the fact that Fox did not find out who Pace was going to pick until draft day.

I am also referring to the fact the Tribune story noted they did less due diligence on Watson.

So the head coach and QB coach have Watson No 1 and Pace's response was to not do proper due diligence on Watson and not tell them who he was drafting until the day of.

This is all from the Tribune story I linked. Your link just quotes from it. Read the below. This is not how to run a fair evaluation process. Pace made sure he did proper due dilligence on his top 2 and then did minimal due diligence on Fox's top guy to the point Watson and his team felt it. That is bullshit dude. Pace let his preferences taint the process.

Last edited:

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Instead, over a four-day span in mid-March, the Bears embarked on a three-city, three-quarterback scouting trip. Pace, Josh Lucas, coach John Fox, offensive coordinator Dowell Loggains and quarterbacks coach Dave Ragone began in Clemson, S.C., at Watson’s pro day. From there they visited Trubisky in Chapel Hill and Mahomes in Lubbock, Texas. They hosted dinners and private on-campus workouts with Trubisky and Mahomes but not with Watson.

Watson sensed early on the Bears’ interest in him was minimal and shrugged past it.
People in his camp, however, were perplexed. Quincy Avery, one of Watson’s private quarterback coaches and a close confidant, scratched his head.

“It just seemed like a big mistake on their part,” Avery said.

If the Bears were truly on the hunt for a franchise-changing quarterback, Avery wondered, why wouldn’t they do the full gamut of homework on a two-time recipient of the Davey O’Brien Award, given to the top quarterback in college football? Why hadn’t the Bears held a private workout with Watson or taken him to dinner as they had with Trubisky and Patrick Mahomes?

Instead, they met with Watson during the assembly-line interview process at the combine and for a bit after his pro-day workout. That was it.

“Honestly,” Avery said, “I thought that either they had some kind of wild process where they were going to try to sneak under the radar and grab Deshaun because they had heard so many positive things about him. Or it was an organization with a bunch of dysfunction that wasn’t prepared to be successful or didn’t have the pieces in place to truly take the next steps.”

Last edited:

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I have no idea what you are talking about. I am referring to the fact that Fox did not find out who Pace was going to pick until draft day.

I am also referring to the fact the Tribune story noted they did less due diligence on Watson.

So the head coach and QB coach have Watson No 1 and Pace's response was to not do proper due diligence on Watson and not tell them who he was drafting until the day of.

This is all from the Tribune story I linked. Your link just quotes from it.
Not directed at you. The issue was folks thinking that Fox and Ragone were not consulted before the draft. Do you think everyone around Fox was sworn to silence? Really? If he didn't know enough, it was more likely on him. His entire stay here looked like he was calling it in. He wanted and got Glennon. In fact, Mitch was also Dowell Loggian's favorite QB.

Bears draft room
“Number one quarterback for me,” Pace said. “Number one quarterback for Josh. Number one quarterback for Mark. Dowell’s number one quarterback. Over-the-top scout’s number one quarterback. Area scout’s number one quarterback.
That’s conviction. On a quarterback.”

Fox may not have known they were going QB but if Cleveland took Mitch at 1, they may have not or moved down for another. Drafts are fluid and he could have known as much as he wanted to. He was at the secret Mitch meeting. What he didn't know was on him.

Top man regarding the Bears passing game at the time was Loggains and his opinion seems to have been considered.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Not directed at you. The issue was folks thinking that Fox and Ragone were not consulted before the draft. Do you think everyone around Fox was sworn to silence? Really? If he didn't know enough, it was more likely on him. He entire stay here looked like he was calling it in. He wanted and got Glennon. In fact, Mitch was also Dowell Loggian's favorite QB.

Bears draft room
“Number one quarterback for me,” Pace said. “Number one quarterback for Josh. Number one quarterback for Mark. Dowell’s number one quarterback. Over-the-top scout’s number one quarterback. Area scout’s number one quarterback.
That’s conviction. On a quarterback.”

Fox may not have known they were going QB but if Cleveland took Mitch at 1, they may have not or moved down for another. Drafts are fluid and he could have known as much as he wanted to. What he didn't know was on him.

My apologies if not addressed to me. My point is Pace rigged the game a bit against Watson. He would not have done that IMO if he respected Fox and Ragone's input.

Yes others may have agreed with him but as GM he should have turned over every stone.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I may have added after your post. Loggains was notably all in on Mitch so assuming Pace didn't listen is in no way a given.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I may have added after your post. Loggains was notably all in on Mitch so assuming Pace didn't listen is in no way a given.

But why did he not hold a private workout or dinnee with Watson? Why did Watson and his team sense Pace's interest was minimal?

My beef is he should have carried out the same process for all 3 QBs song as someone within the evaluation process had them rated high.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Because Watson was his #3 and he knew he was going for the #2 pick before the draft began. Paces board was Trubs Mahomes and then Watson. Can't fault him for having Mahomes ahead of Watson. I imagine that of Cleveland too Trubs at 1, we'd have Mahomes.

Oh the humanity!!!

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Think this misses the point. Pace doesnt know what could be revealed in a personal workout and private dinner.

So again smartest guy in room syndrome. He was so convinced of his opinion he didnt do proper due diligence on Watson.

In short you have a personal workout and dinner prior to finalizing your ranking. You run the top guys through thr same process then rank based on an even playing field. You dont finalize your ranking and then decide on who you invite to a personal workout and dinner.

It is also idiotic to stop scoutimg a guy on an assumption that you can trade up for 2. Entirely possible someone beats you to it.

Last edited: