Victorious Patrick Mahomes Thanks Bears For Drafting Mitchell Trubisky

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Watson was by far the most accomplished of that Qb class. Strange Pace wouldn't meet with Watson

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Think this misses the point. Pace doesnt know what could be revealed in a personal workout and private dinner.

So again smartest guy in room syndrome. He was so convinced of his opinion he didnt do proper due diligence on Watson.

In short you have a personal workout and dinner prior to finalizing your ranking. You run the top guys through thr same process then rank based on an even playing field. You dont finalize your ranking and then decide on who you invite to a personal workout and dinner.

It is also idiotic to stop scoutimg a guy on an assumption that you can trade up for 2. Entirely possible someone beats you to it.
Whatever. He had his plan on draft day and it didn't jive with yours.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Whatever. He had his plan on draft day and it didn't jive with yours.

Correct. My plan involves evaluating all top QB prospects using the same process. Hard to get the pick right when the process to decide is faulty.

You honestly think it makes sense to not do a private workout and dinner with Watson?

I mean it was said Trubs sealed the deal at dinner. I wonder what would have happened if the charismatic Watson was given the same chance. Would Pace have hesistated given by all accounts one of Watson's biggest stregnths is how he can command a room. Hard to evaluate that when you dont even sit down and have dinner with the dude.

Last edited:

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Not if they attended his other workouts and decided he was going to be 3rd before needing to have a private day. It's not like they completely ignored him. They were at the team day in force, combine and Pace had been studying all 3 college QBs for the entire season. Mahomes showed them enough to seal the #2 spot for them.
Here's a good synopsis. https://www.chicagotribune.com/spor...0191112-mkiclk4l4jb3bndxf7azbtdw6m-story.html Fox didn't know who they were going to draft but was not left out of the evaluation process.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I already linked that article. It is the same article that notes Pace did not take Watson through same vetting process as his favorites.

If you are engaged in a complete vetting process you say to yourself while I have Trubs and Mahomes 1 and 2, the Head Coach and QB coach has Watson 1 so let me vet him the same way I vet the guys I favor. It is not just about your favorites. It is also about vetting the guys others in the org have higher to ensure you arent being biased.

But I can see we arent going to agree on this. I can only hope that Pace learned from this and fully vets all the top prospects particularly ones other people favor instead of narrow mindedly only fully vetting the ones he is sold on. I prefer a GM to challenge his own thinking which Pace did not do regarding Watson.