***Video*** Fields on being a bear

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
Being highly intelligent and being able to process quickly are 2 different things. You can have a genius level iq but if you can't read a defense, work through your progression, then make make the correct decision withing 2-3 seconds post snap then everything else is meaningless.

I was reading the draft reports thread and his negatives were giving me flashbacks of Cutler. They all say he trusts his arm too much and will force throws to his first read because he is slow to process and doesn't go through his progressions. Cutler was also a guy coaches raved about how smart he was in the class room but on the field his downfall was he was always too slow to process what was happening. Both Mitch and Cutler had that same issue. Hopefully its not a problem with Fields as well. No qb can be great without that ability to process everything in 2-3 seconds.

If you read the negatives and think back on other Bear hopefuls, how their negatives played out, were inflated by the press and believed by the fans this is going to be a repeat unless this GM/HC stop dicking around at WR and Oline until it's too late.

Bust

Liked Posts:
Love this pick. I've been saying the only guys I think are real NFL starters is Fields and Lawrence.

He might not be too excited now because he fell so far and he won't get to immediately start like Lawrence & Wilson.

Give Pace credit. He could have shied away from trading up due to the Trubisky pick but he's quickly moved on.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
I actually am a pretty big Trey Lance fan. I don't scout the stat line ever, scouting the stat line is how you wind up selecting Dwayne Haskins. I hardly am some quarterback genius who can pour over this tape and find all the little tells, but I know when a guy is playing like shit and I know when a guy is getting carried by his teammates.
Playing like shit? He had 2 bad games in 2 years. Every single word you used to describe actually describes Trey Lance, not Fields.

Fields carried by his teammates? What the hell are you talking about?

No offense, but you sound like someone who watched Fields play in just those 2 games and has never even seen Lance play-you just put on a highlight tape which can make almost anyone look better than they are.

Maybe Lance will learn the QB position. Maybe not. But he’s nowhere close to Fields as a QB at this point in time.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
Dad was a former Marine. May not have been an emotional guy and instilled tough love with Justin. Fields may deem showing personal affection (love or emotion in general) publicly as a weakness and was uncomfortable with cameras around.
Being an Atlanta guy myself, the buzz that was around Fields was his dad was a helicopter parent-always coming in and trying to tell the coach how the show is going to be run.

Now to be fair, that was just rumor. And they are much older. And that shit won’t fly in the NFL.

Didn’t know his dad was a Marine. So was I. Makes me like the pick even more.

ruprecht

Bills Board Hall of Famer
Donator
Liked Posts:
49ers made the wrong choice. Self fleeced

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Chicago media is going to rip him to shreds after he has his first three pick game against Green Bay.
Not after he wins that game anyway.

Dstone5553

Liked Posts:
This was the first comment from a 49er fan last week after Ryan Day talked about Fields for 10 min that may hold a lot of truth.

"He has every intangible, now the question is how good of a coaches are we. If you can't work with 6'3 230 that is accurate on all three levels, big arm, and on top of that runs a 4.4. If you cant work with that it says a lot about you."

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Where does this even come from? Is this just a "feeling"? Lol.

I'm an Ohio State fan, I watch a lot of games. I don't know where this is coming from.
Loved the pick.
He likely has a bit of an aloof persona in interviews and probably a part of why he dropped. Seems a little introverted. I suspect this is a wrong read on him and he just has a slightly reserved demeanor. How was he in terms of leading beyond his example? Vocal rallying, correcting etc?

Last edited:

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
So i like to hear R.Pace say that their 2nd option after moving up for a QB was to maybe do some moving around for some other positions of need which is something he's never said before cause he's always been a BPA guy so gives me more comfort knowing or hoping that he'll go with players who play positions that we all think they need with the rest of this draft especially with the next couple of picks. I wonder if that was a slip up saying that.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Dude what are u smoking? Are u questioning his mental capacity?

"Justin Fields, the guy who supposedly can't go through his reads, doesn't have great work ethic, all this bogus stuff -- he scored the highest. Ever. He scored the highest that they can rank him. He scored a 130 on it. [Patrick] Mahomes was like a 108. Josh Allen was like a 108. Over 100 is good.

-Former NFL quarterback and current analyst Mark Sanchez
Jim McMahon was last in and 1st out. Thought the Bear O was simplistic after running a more complicated O in college. Covert and Farve called him the smartest player they experienced in the NFL. He was a dick but he could ball while his arm still functioned. My guess is that Fields situation is overstated. I suspect he wasn't last one out but not 1st either... because he didn't need to be last. He got it quickly. Everything gets amplified and overly scrutinized leading up to the draft.

We finally get our break over it.:)