Warner Bros Will Send All 2021 Releases To HBO Max

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
The gauntlet has been thrown down. Is this the beginning of the end of first run cinemas???

Warner Bros. announced Thursday it will release its entire slate of 2021 films — including potential blockbusters such as the upcoming “Dune,” “Godzilla vs. Kong” and a fourth “Matrix” — in U.S. theaters and on its sister streaming service HBO Max at the same time — a stunning departure from how Hollywood usually does business.

Executives at AT&T Inc.-owned Warner Bros. said the plan is a short-term fix to an extraordinary situation, however, and does not represent a new business model for the studio.

Warner Bros. and other studios have chosen to delay big-budget films rather than release them in a uncertain environment in which the virus is surging and half of U.S. theaters are dark, putting the studios in a tough financial position. Warner Bros. will still release its movies in theaters in other countries, which don’t have access to HBO Max.

The studio already disclosed that on Christmas Day it would release “Wonder Woman 1984” simultaneously for streaming and in theaters, a tactic known as “day-and-date” in industry jargon. So far, 8.6 million households have signed up for HBO Max, which costs $15 a month. The strategy will continue in 2021.

“It’s a temporary solution to COVID,” Carolyn Blackwood, chief operating officer of Warner Bros. Pictures Group, said in an interview. “We know the U.S. marketplace is the most challenged. Knowing that, and knowing we’re fully committed to theatrical, our question was, How are we going to handle this and create a dynamic that can benefit all of the stakeholders?”

However, it’s no secret that studios have long wanted to experiment with new ways to distribute movies as consumers’ moviegoing habits were evolving, even before COVID-19 restrictions shuttered theaters. Simultaneous releases have long been a source of bitter dispute between studios and theaters.

Under the longstanding model, studios waited at least 74 days after movies hit theaters before making them available for home viewing. But the pandemic has given movie distributors far more leeway to experiment.

The new release method follows major moves by rival Universal Pictures to shorten the theatrical release window to as few as 17 days through deals with AMC Theatres, Cinemark and Cineplex. Walt Disney Co., the most successful studio in terms of theatrical movies, has delayed films such as “Black Widow” into next year but has moved others, such as “Hamilton” and Pixar’s “Soul,” straight to the Disney+ streaming service.

Warner Bros.’ movie distribution plan, however, is the most aggressive to date. The Burbank studio said Thursday it will make its movies available on HBO Max for 31 days for no extra charge starting when they’re released in U.S. cinemas. After that period, the movies will disappear from the platform and continue to run in multiplexes.

The strategy could give a much-needed boost to HBO Max, which Warner Bros.’ parent company launched in May in hopes of competing with Netflix and Disney+ in the digital arena.

HBO Max will pay Warner Bros. a licensing fee for the movies.

“We see an opportunity to do something firmly focused on the fans, which is to provide choice,” Jason Kilar, chief executive of WarnerMedia, the AT&T division that encompasses Warner Bros. and HBO Max, said in a statement. “Whether that choice is to enjoy a great new movie out at the cinema, to open up HBO Max, or to do both.”

Shares of theater owners, including AMC Entertainment, Cinemark Holdings and Marcus Corp., plunged on Wall Street. Cinemark fell $3.74, or 22%, to $13.30. AMC plummeted 69 cents, or 16%, to $3.63.

The complicated new release plan comes as theaters face a surging pandemic that has forced exhibitors to close again or cut hours and days of operation.

AMC Theatres, facing a cash crunch, said Thursday it is seeking to raise $800 million in additional capital to withstand the effects of the virus. The Leawood, Kan.-based company, the world’s largest cinema circuit, had praised Warner Bros.’ release strategy for “Wonder Woman 1984” but sharply criticized the studio’s updated plans.

“Clearly, WarnerMedia intends to sacrifice a considerable portion of the profitability of its movie studio division, and that of its production partners and filmmakers, to subsidize its HBO Max start-up,” AMC Chief Executive Adam Aron said in a statement. “As for AMC, we will do all in our power to ensure that Warner does not do so at our expense. We will aggressively pursue economic terms that preserve our business. We have already commenced an immediate and urgent dialogue with the leadership of Warner on this subject.”

Cinemark, the No. 3 U.S. circuit, was muted in its initial response. The Plano, Texas, chain said it was not given details of Warner Bros. model before it was announced.

“In light of the current operating environment, we are making near-term booking decisions on a film-by-film basis,” the company said in a statement. “At this time, Warner Bros. has not provided any details for the hybrid distribution model of their 2021 films.”

The decision follows the disappointing domestic launch of Christopher Nolan’s “Tenet,” which launched in September in hopes of reviving beleaguered cinemas. Weak domestic box office for the time-bending action thriller led studios to further postpone their releases, although the movie performed well internationally.

Warner Bros.’ 2021 release schedule consists of 17 movies: “The Little Things,” “Judas and the Black Messiah,” “Tom & Jerry,” “Godzilla vs. Kong,” “Mortal Kombat,” “Those Who Wish Me Dead,” “The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It,” “In The Heights,” “Space Jam: A New Legacy,” “The Suicide Squad,” “Reminiscence,” “Malignant,” “Dune,” “The Many Saints of Newark,” “King Richard,” “Cry Macho” and “Matrix 4.”

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I think the big box cinemas will likely bankrupt or massively scale down. I think we could see a rise of more independent theaters. Some theaters that have the successful dine-in model going could continue to go on as well.

There's plenty of people who just simply love to go and see a movie as a way to go out and do something. So I don't think movies will just die. I think the 20+ screen theaters will struggle though.

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
The gauntlet has been thrown down. Is this the beginning of the end of first run cinemas???

The streaming market is getting soooo diluted.

The more streaming services that arise, the lower the quality of programming will be, because the parent companies will be contracted to individual services.
For a good selection, people will be forced to subscribe to them all, which defeats the a la carte appeal.

The secondary impact is big budget productions will either cease to be feasible or they will be forced to go the "transformers" route and cater to the Chinese market or others.

Inevitably the streaming market will fall in to the Disney plus and HBO mode- each parent company has their own, and the aggregate ones will fight over scraps and older garbage.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Maybe Warner Bros. should focus more on making good movies than their streaming deals.

airtime143

CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Maybe Warner Bros. should focus more on making good movies than their streaming deals.

I would agree on that. The DC universe should have been a slam dunk for them but they couldn't get out of their own way and sent them right down the crapper.

A couple movies in they lose batman and superman, make a one off joker, and pour a shit ton of money in to suicide squad... which was slightly interesting but pointless.

Darkseid vs the justice league should have whooped the shit out of avengers vs. Thanos... but wb fumbled it from the start.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:

I do not think that it will be the end of first run cinemas, it may mean a downturn in them, or them being used only for certain movies rather than like they do now by putting every movie out to theater. I would assume that there are a lot of people that would still go to the movies, post COVID. I know that I certainly will if there are theaters still around. I think it would be more for the experience than just going and seeing every rando movie that comes out like we used to when we were younger.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I would agree on that. The DC universe should have been a slam dunk for them but they couldn't get out of their own way and sent them right down the crapper.

A couple movies in they lose batman and superman, make a one off joker, and pour a shit ton of money in to suicide squad... which was slightly interesting but pointless.

Darkseid vs the justice league should have whooped the shit out of avengers vs. Thanos... but wb fumbled it from the start.
Their biggest mistake was trying to catch the MCU instead of taking their time with their own blueprint. Man of Steel had its flaws but it was a really good start for them. Then they went right for BvS and it all was dumpster fire. But i also question whether the people they have writing and directing some of these properties truly care about them. I think the new Suicide Squad will be good because James Gunn cares and knows what he doing.

They should stick with the one offs because i feel like they're really focused on their projects when they're not trying too hard to world-build.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I don't think this is the beginning of the end of cinema. Just seems like a short term solution and a way to flood people towards HBO Max subscriptions.

I really want to see Dune and Matrix 4 in theaters though.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I believe I read that included in this is the release of the Sopranos prequel, called The Many Saints of Newark. It's kind of cheesy to have Gandolfini's kid playing young Tony, but the casting of Johnny Boy, Livia, and Junior are solid.

Hopefully we'll be able to figure out why Tony didn't have the makings of a varsity athlete.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I believe I read that included in this is the release of the Sopranos prequel, called The Many Saints of Newark. It's kind of cheesy to have Gandolfini's kid playing young Tony, but the casting of Johnny Boy, Livia, and Junior are solid.

Hopefully we'll be able to figure out why Tony didn't have the makings of a varsity athlete.
I already love The Sopranos but i'll watch anything with Jon Bernthal. I also cant wait to see Joey Diaz in it.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I already love The Sopranos but i'll watch anything with Jon Bernthal. I also cant wait to see Joey Diaz in it.
Yeah, I’m excited to see Joey in this. I always heard they wanted to explore Dicky Moltisanti and make him the focus, but it sounds like young Tony is going to get a lot of focus.

airtime143

CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Their biggest mistake was trying to catch the MCU instead of taking their time with their own blueprint. Man of Steel had its flaws but it was a really good start for them. Then they went right for BvS and it all was dumpster fire. But i also question whether the people they have writing and directing some of these properties truly care about them. I think the new Suicide Squad will be good because James Gunn cares and knows what he doing.

They should stick with the one offs because i feel like they're really focused on their projects when they're not trying too hard to world-build.

See, I thought bvs was a great second movie.
I loved the story, and the shit ton of Easter eggs relating to the dark night returns graphic novel were greatly appreciated.
That particular graphic novel was what pulled me in to comics as a kid... so I was ecstatic to see the nods to it from cover art to costume to treads on the boots of the mechanical batman.

Batmans fighting style was amazing and his attitude fit.
Loved Affleck as batman.

The Martha thing, the spear thing... people give those shit all the time but they are both actually quite poignant moments when you look at the greater story and it bugs me that nobody can recognize that.

There are 2 parts I really disliked though. The beginning version of doomsday was unimpressive, and the casting, directing and acting of luthor was unwatchable.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
See, I thought bvs was a great second movie.
I loved the story, and the shit ton of Easter eggs relating to the dark night returns graphic novel were greatly appreciated.
That particular graphic novel was what pulled me in to comics as a kid... so I was ecstatic to see the nods to it from cover art to costume to treads on the boots of the mechanical batman.

Batmans fighting style was amazing and his attitude fit.
Loved Affleck as batman.

The Martha thing, the spear thing... people give those shit all the time but they are both actually quite poignant moments when you look at the greater story and it bugs me that nobody can recognize that.

There are 2 parts I really disliked though. The beginning version of doomsday was unimpressive, and the casting, directing and acting of luthor was unwatchable.
I disagree with a lot here but i will say i'm glad you enjoyed it lol.

airtime143

CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I disagree with a lot here but i will say i'm glad you enjoyed it lol.
Its all good. Movies are ham fisted and hand everything to the viewer on a silver platter nowadays.

Inferred character growth get missed by most.

Hell- they even slipped in exactly how superman was going to die and why it was him that had to do it literally 1 minute in to the movie.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Its all good. Movies are ham fisted and hand everything to the viewer on a silver platter nowadays.

Inferred character growth get missed by most.

Hell- they even slipped in exactly how superman was going to die and why it was him that had to do it literally 1 minute in to the movie.
Kind of insulting but ok.

Houston

Liked Posts:
Most of those releases look like they will suck anyway. This way they avoid the box office bombs.