Was that fuller hit a penalty?

Milton Waddams

Liked Posts:
Looked shoulder-to-shoulder to me. Receiver's neck snapped to the side b/c of physics - Fuller hit him really f*cking hard, and both guys were going opposite directions.

Anything really violent gets a flag now.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
The problem is that refs are throwing flags based on *perceiving* what *might* have happened, rather than throwing flags based on what they actually saw.

That shouldn't have been a flag, because he didn't hit him in the head. And the ref couldn't have seen him hit him in the head, because he didn't.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Looked shoulder-to-shoulder to me. Receiver's neck snapped to the side b/c of physics - Fuller hit him really f*cking hard, and both guys were going opposite directions.

Anything really violent gets a flag now.

That's the bottom line. Any jarring hit is probably getting flagged. The only two possible strategies on this for defenses:

1) Do it anyway and don't let it impact how you play the game.
or
2) Hit a guy so low that an argument can't possibly be made that it was an illegal hit.

I can see #2 becoming the norm and resulting in A LOT of lower-body injuries.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
I wonder if because of covid-19, and no fans in the stadiums, and the possibility of the season being cancelled or severely shortened...the league just decided to try an experiment with the officiating.

Like, these are where the rules are headed, so why not experiment on what's going to be a fucked up season anyway?

The pussification reminds me of the NHL transition of the 90s to the 00s. It's slow, but it's happening.

Us older guys will have to get used to it because the newer generations just go with it. I tried arguing this stuff with the NHL and most young fans just say, "Fighting has no place in the game and has a negative overall impact."

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
The problem is that refs are throwing flags based on *perceiving* what *might* have happened, rather than throwing flags based on what they actually saw.

That shouldn't have been a flag, because he didn't hit him in the head. And the ref couldn't have seen him hit him in the head, because he didn't.

They should just look at the fucking jumbotron and then decide to pick it up or not

Liked Posts:
Hell no. My man fuller has been lighting people up this year though that's how you make an NFL hit. What a beast
Yea!!! Gotta love Fuller...Gibson hit somebody square in the back hard too by the sideline...DBs keep lighting receivers up and they'll think twice.

Speed

Liked Posts:
Fuller has been hit sticking people this year. His positioning and IQ has been unreal. So good to the point he gets flagged for being too good. He's lighting up the receiver the moment they catch the ball.

twetz

Liked Posts:
The refs aren't always in position to have the best viewing angle. If that hit was delivered on Mooney, or Miller, etc., we'd want the same call. The problem with calls like this is that one crew calls things one way and another crew doesn't. Fuller and the receiver were both ducking down simultaneously. I'm glad this isn't like college where Fuller would have been ejected.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Neither player's helmet touched anything. Should not be a penalty.

The NFL should review every H2H flag. Would only take a few seconds to figure it out.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
This isn't that complicated. The refs got it wrong. Shit happens. This hit was similar to the one last week where the WR's head snapped back so hard that it looked like he was hit in the head. Against the Bucs the refs picked up the flag and called it a fumble. Here they didn't.

The one thing I didn't see was how many steps the WR took. Against the Bucs, he took the 3rd step which made it a catch, he was no longer defenseless, and thus a fumble. Here if he got hit after only the 2nd step then he hasn't been deemed to make a football move yet and thus may still be considered defenseless.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
I don't think it should have been a fumble. Should have been incomplete pass, no penalty.