Was that fuller hit a penalty?

dennehy

Liked Posts:
The Fuller hit is here at about 4:12:

It's really tough to tell if the receiver's head is contacted by any part of Fuller. If it was it wasn't more than a brush imo.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
4 minutes in. Not intentional but squarely shoulder to head regardless of comments.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
That wasn't the hit I was talking about and I believe that one was just a PI call and INT. Not the defenseless hit and possible fumble as discussed. The calls in that link do show an inequity but neither is a defenseless call.
It’s right below that comparison. Scroll down...

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The Fuller hit is here at about 4:12:

It's really tough to tell if the receiver's head is contacted by any part of Fuller. If it was it wasn't more than a brush imo.
1603116621427.png

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Agreed that officiating sucks this year. I also don't think a hit like that should be a penalty but by rule, it is. Don't be a messenger on this board and expect not to get shot.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Agreed that officiating sucks this year. I also don't think a hit like that should be a penalty but by rule, it is. Don't be a messenger on this board and expect not to get shot.
which rule?

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
which rule?
The call. What else would we be talking about?
Unnecessary roughness.

h) If a receiver has completed a catch and has not had time to protect himself, a defensive player is prohibited from launching (springing forward and upward) into him in a way that causes the defensive player’s helmet, facemask, shoulder, or forearm to forcibly strike the receiver’s head or neck area—even if the initial contact of the defender’s helmet, facemask, shoulder, or forearm is lower than the receiver’s neck.

League doesn't want guys to square up and launch at defenseless WRs still in the process of catching a ball. It's a different game than 10 years ago. Like I said, I also think the protections have gone too far but they play by the rules.

Payton!34

Liked Posts:
It was literally the same exact play as last weekend and it’s not a penalty in my mind.

to me a defenseless receiver is practically impossible to define. I’d personally limit it to when they drop a pass and not when it’s complete or in process of completing it but defenders need to e able to play defense.

I was wondering if that was intercepted or not. I know they called in incomplete

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Look at the Fuller hit from the other week. Same play, but they picked up the flag then.
If he had driven through or launched at the player, I would agree. He didn’t. He simply braced himself and let the offensive player run into him. He did not attempt to go for the head, or to take the opposing player out. Just made a football play...

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Unnecessary roughness.

h) If a receiver has completed a catch and has not had time to protect himself, a defensive player is prohibited from launching (springing forward and upward) into him in a way that causes the defensive player’s helmet, facemask, shoulder, or forearm to forcibly strike the receiver’s head or neck area—even if the initial contact of the defender’s helmet, facemask, shoulder, or forearm is lower than the receiver’s neck.
Again, Fuller did not in any way, shape, or form “launch”.

And the receiver was lowering his own head down to prepare for a hit. Is that not an attempt at protecting himself?

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I guess it’s too late for you to change your initial assumption now, eh?
And you didn't even know which play was being discussed when you formed your opinion. Then it was he didn't hit his head and now he didn't square him up. :rolleyes:
Don't think you guys know the rules. It wasn't blatant enough that it absolutely had to be called but Fuller got unlucky by squaring him up without intent to foul and almost put Kirkwood in concussion protocol.

Last edited:

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Unnecessary roughness.

League doesn't want guys to square up and launch at defenseless WRs still in the process of catching a ball. It's a different game than 10 years ago. Like I said, I also think the protections have gone too far but they play by the rules.

Two feet were down (time to protect), there was no helmet to helmet and the only possible above shoulder contact was glancing. There was no 'forcible strike' to the head or neck area, only to the shoulder.

I understand what the league does and doesn't want to happen, I do follow football.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
There actually was helmet to helmet, but honestly, I don't think the ref that called it could have seen it from his angle. And it wasn't obvious at full speed. We had to pause it when they showed the hit going into a commercial break. Quite frankly, it was the receiver that caused any contact to his own head by bracing himself to be hit. Fuller probably hits him around mid level otherwise. Which begs the question how the receiver could even be defenseless if he's bracing himself for contact.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
For me it was an unfortunate hit and call that can go either way. Why I don't have an issue with it.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
There actually was helmet to helmet, but honestly, I don't think the ref that called it could have seen it from his angle. And it wasn't obvious at full speed. We had to pause it when they showed the hit going into a commercial break. Quite frankly, it was the receiver that caused any contact to his own head by bracing himself to be hit. Fuller probably hits him around mid level otherwise. Which begs the question how the receiver could even be defenseless if he's bracing himself for contact.
This is the take those that don't like the penalty should be using. I agree with this and would have preferred it not be called but I understand. I think Fuller loading up had a lot to do with the refs impression of what happened.

Calabis

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Just curious...after Fuller hit him he lost ball and kicked it up...should have been a turnover..I could be wrong but I didn't see it hit the ground