Watson is OFFICIALLY DONE WITH HOUSTON

Montucky

Liked Posts:

He can be done with the Texans all he wants but until the Texans are done with him he doesn't have many options.

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:

He can be done with the Texans all he wants but until the Texans are done with him he doesn't have many options.

If he is demanding a trade and states he will never play for the Texans again, than they should\must make the move.

1.) Why not get a ton of value for a player that will never take another snap in your uniform.
2.) Your refusal to trade and letting him sit out years till his contract is expired looks terrible to future players and potential Free Agents that you are trying to lure to town. Nobody wants to work for a company that is vindictive to its employees.

cosmodinardo

Liked Posts:
Doesn't say anything about Chicago not being preferred. Stop talking out of your ass and making up things

Hence my reference to Dan Pompeii who has reported that Watson has listed Chicago among his "possible/acceptable but not preferred" teams.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
If he is demanding a trade and states he will never play for the Texans again, than they should\must make the move.

1.) Why not get a ton of value for a player that will never take another snap in your uniform.
2.) Your refusal to trade and letting him sit out years till his contract is expired looks terrible to future players and potential Free Agents that you are trying to lure to town. Nobody wants to work for a company that is vindictive to its employees.
Well this is where it gets into a game of brinksmanship. The Texans can probably expect Deshaun Watson to not really walk away from a hundred and fifty-six million dollars. So he just deals with his frustration at the Texans and plays, and its not like he's going to purposefully suck out of spite. Nobody wants an employee that is vindictive to their employer.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Signing that extension was a really bad move. It was obvious when the Texans dealt away all that draft capital for an average left tackle then swapped DeAndre Hopkins (effectively) for Brandin Cooks and David Johnson that things weren't right. Now Watson has basically no leverage other than the prayer that the Texans wont call his bluff.

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Hence my reference to Dan Pompeii who has reported that Watson has listed Chicago among his "possible/acceptable but not preferred" teams.

he doesnt know just like the rest of the reporters. its all speculation

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Signing that extension was a really bad move. It was obvious when the Texans dealt away all that draft capital for an average left tackle then swapped DeAndre Hopkins (effectively) for Brandin Cooks and David Johnson that things weren't right. Now Watson has basically no leverage other than the prayer that the Texans wont call his bluff.

Tunsil wasnt seen as 'average' at the time

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Tunsil wasnt seen as 'average' at the time
I'm pretty sure the Texans did not foresee having the third overall selection and yeah, Tunsil in Miami was a pretty good player (not sure he was one of the best left tackles in the NFL...but still). But man, they gave him a lot of money and I don't know what they saw out of him in 2019 to make them feel like he deserved it.

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
Well this is where it gets into a game of brinksmanship. The Texans can probably expect Deshaun Watson to not really walk away from a hundred and fifty-six million dollars. So he just deals with his frustration at the Texans and plays, and its not like he's going to purposefully suck out of spite. Nobody wants an employee that is vindictive to their employer.

“Nobody wants an employee that is vindictive to their employer.” - you proved another point on why the Texans should trade him. Who wants an insubordinate employee?

I get what you are saying, but based on the mere fact, if your employee isn’t invested in your success, its bad management to continue the norm. A company is only as good as its employees.

It would be a PR nightmare if a generational talented employee sat because management wasn’t flexible and purely defiant.

Watson and the world sees the Texans are a mess, it will only get worse for them if they are not flexible.

Last edited:

Montucky

Liked Posts:
True, but based on the mere fact, if your employee isn’t invested in your success, its bad management to continue the norm. A company is only as good as its employees.

It would be a PR nightmare if a generational talented employee sat because management wasn’t flexible and defiant.

Watson and the world sees the Texans are a mess, it will only get worse for them if they are not flexible.
Watson signed a colossal extension less than a year ago. The truth is he committed to the Texans as much as the Texans committed to him. I don't think Houston cares about anything aside from retaining the services of what you yourself call a "generational" employee. They are probably willing to jump on any PR grenade in their effort to keep him. Its not like they are going to lose their charter.

There are only so many NFL jobs to go around, players will line up around the block for a chance to make it with the Texans and secure themselves and their families financially for perhaps generations. I dont think this fantasy of labor solidarity is practical. The Texans are one of only thirty-two teams, unless guys want to play in the Rock's XFL or Canada.

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
Watson signed a colossal extension less than a year ago. The truth is he committed to the Texans as much as the Texans committed to him. I don't think Houston cares about anything aside from retaining the services of what you yourself call a "generational" employee. They are probably willing to jump on any PR grenade in their effort to keep him. Its not like they are going to lose their charter.

There are only so many NFL jobs to go around, players will line up around the block for a chance to make it with the Texans and secure themselves and their families financially for perhaps generations. I dont think this fantasy of labor solidarity is practical. The Texans are one of only thirty-two teams, unless guys want to play in the Rock's XFL or Canada.

Im not saying you are wrong. I’m saying there is another view on how the Texans should respond.

The truth is, Watson was committed to the Texans a year ago but not now. They made several fumbles since he signed that deal. Things change. People change. That’s never more obvious than right now.

Every FA would rather play in the NFL than not play in the NFL. I thought it was obvious, when I talked about FA’s, I was speaking about FA’s with opinions. The scale wouldn’t tilt their way if they handle this Watson drama the wrong way.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Im not saying you are wrong. I’m saying there is another view on how the Texans should respond.

The truth is, Watson was committed to the Texans a year ago but not now. They made several fumbles since he signed that deal. Things change. People change. That’s never more obvious than right now.

Every FA would rather play in the NFL than not play in the NFL. I thought it was obvious, when I talked about FA’s, I was speaking about FA’s with opinions. The scale wouldn’t tilt their way if they handle this Watson drama the wrong way.
Well if I were the Texans I would be pretty steadfast in the idea that there is some way to rebuild their relationship with Watson. Who really knows how it shakes out, but right now it certainly seems like there is zero intention of trading Watson from the Texans.

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Well if I were the Texans I would be pretty steadfast in the idea that there is some way to rebuild their relationship with Watson. Who really knows how it shakes out, but right now it certainly seems like there is zero intention of trading Watson from the Texans.

And I dont see Watson changing his mind either. Would make him look bad imo

Think he's in for the long haul

Toast88

Liked Posts:
People will say Houston has the leverage because they hold the contract, but if he's truly done with them, the longer they wait, the more his trade value goes down.

This isn't a Le'Veon Bell situation where there's one year of control left. There's no upside to the team trying to call his bluff if he's truly willing to sit out. The closer they get to that point, the less trade value Watson has, because teams will know the Texans are desperate and without options.

Not only that, but also, teams aren't going to wait forever to resolve their own quarterback situations. The more teams that bow out of the Watson sweepstakes, the worse it is for the Texans. They want a lot of teams jumping over each other, and the only real way to do that is to trade Watson on draft night. ***Remember that you can only trade three years into the future, except on draft night, when you can add another pick.***

Visionman

Liked Posts:

Every one of those FAs will know Watson signed a huge deal only a season ago. And they know no team just let’s players out of those deals that soon. Unless Houston publicly bashed Watson, no one is going to hold Houston accountable for a player going crazy.