1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats

The Big Grabowski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ordinarily a team has contract leverage to wait out the player but Houston bungled PR so badly in recent years they have zero organizational credibility. I have to wonder how concerned the league is getting about the state of their ownership.

Brett Kollman was talking about the coaching hire on his podcast. Culley was the only guy who would take the job. The coaching staff was brought in to guide a tank. No one is expected to last more than 2 years. They'll be shedding any unnecessary contracts.

What the Texans are saying publicly is that Watson isn't available for trade, but they've had internal discussions that contradict that.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Watson:

tenor.gif

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
If he is demanding a trade and states he will never play for the Texans again, than they should\must make the move.

1.) Why not get a ton of value for a player that will never take another snap in your uniform.
2.) Your refusal to trade and letting him sit out years till his contract is expired looks terrible to future players and potential Free Agents that you are trying to lure to town. Nobody wants to work for a company that is vindictive to its employees.
How are the Texans being vindictive? They gave him a shiny brand new super lucrative contract.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
Signing that extension was a really bad move. It was obvious when the Texans dealt away all that draft capital for an average left tackle then swapped DeAndre Hopkins (effectively) for Brandin Cooks and David Johnson that things weren't right. Now Watson has basically no leverage other than the prayer that the Texans wont call his bluff.
It's not a bluff and the Texans know it. He'll sit out/ not show up. Like Mack, Like Cutler etc and be dealt. He doesn't have to say a word publicly. His agents will do all the work. Right now the Texans are in the trying to save face phase. Watson will never play another snap as a Texan even if it cost him a few mil in the process. You can't out a price on happiness as they say.

Last edited:

circusboy666

Liked Posts:
No one is leaving that much money on the table. Idc how much money you have. They know they are going to be bad next year anyway so I think Texans ownership will win out here and refuse a trade. They have to be pissed as all this attention will negative effect FA from ever going there and don’t see them caving in. It’s a pissing fight at this point.

Luke

Liked Posts:
No one is leaving that much money on the table. Idc how much money you have. They know they are going to be bad next year anyway so I think Texans ownership will win out here and refuse a trade. They have to be pissed as all this attention will negative effect FA from ever going there and don’t see them caving in. It’s a pissing fight at this point.

I would love to watch this drama play out as I don't give a shit about either party involved.

satchice

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
If he is demanding a trade and states he will never play for the Texans again, than they should\must make the move.

1.) Why not get a ton of value for a player that will never take another snap in your uniform.
2.) Your refusal to trade and letting him sit out years till his contract is expired looks terrible to future players and potential Free Agents that you are trying to lure to town. Nobody wants to work for a company that is vindictive to its employees.

On the other side of the coin if the nfl owners start letting the employees run the franchises then it will ruin the NFL. He signed the contract and cashed the check he needs to be responsible for his actions.

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
On the other side of the coin if the nfl owners start letting the employees run the franchises then it will ruin the NFL. He signed the contract and cashed the check he needs to be responsible for his actions.

Franchises don’t always honor the contracts either.

The players run the league now. That’s why WRs are getting over 20mil a year. It’s crazy.

satchice

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Franchises don’t always honor the contracts either.

The players run the league now. That’s why WRs are getting over 20mil a year. It’s crazy.
What do you mean they don’t honor the contract? They have guarantees in their contracts. If a team cuts a player they still have to pay him depending on how the contract is stuctured.

If they start letting players choose what teams to play for so they can build super teams like the NBA than the NFL would suck. There would be 4 to 6 good teams.

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
What do you mean they don’t honor the contract? They have guarantees in their contracts. If a team cuts a player they still have to pay him depending on how the contract is stuctured.

If they start letting players choose what teams to play for so they can build super teams like the NBA than the NFL would suck. There would be 4 to 6 good teams.

The NFL does not have defined contract obligations. Some players have obligations to portions of the contract number but most do not. Most of the league, if the player is cut under contract, he will not receive the full or any amount of the signed final deal the franchise agree to. The union has been fighting this since 1983. MLB and NBA have defined contracts.

Most NFL players can not choose where they want to play (except FA’s). That’s why there is a ridiculous low salary cap compared to the NBA per player. The NFL strives for parity.

Last edited: