Watson will be moved

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I actually think they will get a deal done but we will see. Definitely wont let him walk for nothing.

I think he walks, anything is possible. Silly for the Bears to tag him, better off just getting the third round compensatory pick that carries no risk

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Answer me this, how did the Mack trade work out?

It was good, it wasn't really good and it wasn't great but i would say it was good or maybe close to good. Lets go with a B-

What's the point?

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I actually think they will get a deal done but we will see. Definitely wont let him walk for nothing.

They better get a veteran QB he believes in or R.Pace and M.Nagy better become the best salesmen they can be to get him to re-sign on a long term deal with us cause he's definitely gonna get long term offers from multiple other teams if we don't re-sign or tag him. I want him back but i'm also good with a sign and trade and letting him walk does bring us a 3rd round comp pick which isn't bad as long as we replace him.

Alpha Male

Liked Posts:
I think he walks, anything is possible. Silly for the Bears to tag him, better off just getting the third round compensatory pick that carries no risk
They wont get that if they sign someone else. Better to tag and trade for a 2nd.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
They wont get that if they sign someone else. Better to tag and trade for a 2nd.

Your assuming you get a 2nd round pick for a 18 mil WR with only one year guaranteed.

Here is the current status of the FA market at the WR position

Chris Godwin
Kenny Golladay
Will Fuller V
JuJu Smith-Schuster
Allen Robinson II
Corey Davis
Marvin Jones Jr
Curtis Samuel
T.Y. Hilton
Sammy Watkins
A.J. Green

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Your assuming you get a 2nd round pick for a 18 mil WR with only one year guaranteed.

Chris Godwin
Kenny Golladay
Will Fuller V
JuJu Smith-Schuster
Allen Robinson II
Corey Davis
Marvin Jones Jr
Curtis Samuel
T.Y. Hilton
Sammy Watkins
A.J. Green

Quite the list. Robinson's agent might be hoping he gets tagged.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Tagging Robinson would pretty much decimate the Bears functional cap space.

It would 100% either cost you Hicks or mean next to no free agent signings.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Tagging Robinson would pretty much decimate the Bears functional cap space.

It would 100% either cost you Hicks or mean next to no free agent signings.

But, But.......tag and trade, tag and trade!!!!

Guys that keep throwing this out there need to study what happened to Jax last year with Yannick.
Hint hint, they never got what they expected out of him, and where held hostage until July 15 because Yannick refused to sign the tag.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
But, But.......tag and trade, tag and trade!!!!

Guys that keep throwing this out there need to study what happened to Jax last year with Yannick.
Hint hint, they never got what they expected out of him, and where held hostage until July 15 because Yannick refused to sign the tag.

The tag and trade is hard to pull off for 2 reasons,

1. Teams do not give what you want because of the financial issues. I would expect Robinson to be valued at no more than a late 2nd or early 3rd round pick considering he needs a contract with 60 million guaranteed.

2. They do not happen till during the offseason, which means that cap space is all tied up when the real free agency is happening.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The tag and trade is hard to pull off for 2 reasons,

1. Teams do not give what you want because of the financial issues. I would expect Robinson to be valued at no more than a late 2nd or early 3rd round pick considering he needs a contract with 60 million guaranteed.

2. They do not happen till during the offseason, which means that cap space is all tied up when the real free agency is happening.

Exactly, which is the part no one seems to understand.

Alpha Male

Liked Posts:

Chris Godwin
Kenny Golladay
Will Fuller V
JuJu Smith-Schuster
Allen Robinson II
Corey Davis
Marvin Jones Jr
Curtis Samuel
T.Y. Hilton
Sammy Watkins
A.J. Green

You do realize the team that trades for him would only do so if they can agree to a long term deal.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You do realize the team that trades for him would only do so if they can agree to a long term deal.

I do, and that makes it even more complicated if it is a team AR doesn't want to go to.

Say the Lions offer the Bears a 2nd. But then AR says fuck that, i ain't playing for that shit franchise, and refuses to sing the tag or negotiate a deal with the Lions. It effectively gives AR a no-trade unless I want to clause.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Answer me this, how did the Mack trade work out?
He was the best football player in the world in 2018. He hasn't been close to that since. Is that and Cole Kmet worth Damon Arnette, Bryan Edwards and Josh Jacobs? Personally I think it is. It was cool to witness a true NFL force of nature even if it was only for a brief time. Who knows what happens if Cody Parkey hits that field goal.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Dont be silly. He wants to get paid. He will go to any team that pays him.

So you don't think he would be willing to take a discount to play on a team that he considered a contender?

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
He was the best football player in the world in 2018. He hasn't been close to that since. Is that and Cole Kmet worth Damon Arnette, Bryan Edwards and Josh Jacobs? Personally I think it is. It was cool to witness a true NFL force of nature even if it was only for a brief time. Who knows what happens if Cody Parkey hits that field goal.
Bears would have been more likely to draft Sweat and maybe Ruiz, keep Floyd, never signed Quinn, who knows how the domino's might have fallen......

Would they have won more games in 2018-2020, no, at least not in 2018, but they would have a better core of younger players to build on.

Last edited:

Alpha Male

Liked Posts:
So you don't think he would be willing to take a discount to play on a team that he considered a contender?
Maybe but that has no relevance to the discussion. You are moving the goalposts. The point is that if hte bears tag ar then his agent can seek a trade with any team that arob wants to play for. Simple as that.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Maybe but that has no relevance to the discussion. You are moving the goalposts. The point is that if hte bears tag ar then his agent can seek a trade with any team that arob wants to play for. Simple as that.
I haven't moved the goalposts at all, but thanks for proving my point. It is very relevant, it outlines one of the problems with the tag and trade scenario.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
You are failing to take into account the uniqueness of this season and cap implications, making approximately only ten teams in a reasonable financial position to take on his contract. Subtract the teams that already have their QB in place, or have a high enough draft pick to be better served drafting a QB, and that cuts the pool of teams bidding for his services even more.

You also need to factor in the fact Watson is not on a rookie contract, and has a no trade clause. Every time you lower the number of bidders for his services, you potentially lower his value.

You seem to be missing the point. All first round picks do not have the same value. a number 3-7 overall pick has a lot more value than a number 20-28 pick. If you think that the Texans would not take that into account when considering a trade offer, and speculate where the 2022 or 2023 number 1 pick they might acquire from a trade partner might fall, then your are a fool.

two top 10 first round picks > 3 mid round number one picks.

game/set/match
Still as stupid as ever. OhHHRly?! The Texans would prefer higher draft picks?! Wow what a revelation. You're right! I didn't think of that. You just said a whole lotta nothing. As usual.

I'll bet you a life long ban from this board that Watson, if traded, costs said team more than 2 firsts.

You won't take it because you know it's true and have pussy pants.