Way too early Mock Draft: Can’t believe I’m doing this sh!t in November edition

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
The context of this mock draft is twofold, one Spotrac now estimates us to have 116 million dollars for next year, and it’s a low number, as it is most likely to be higher. Sons of Anarchy had a great line that contextualizes Poles’ plan going into this season. When asked if he had a plan, Jax, the protagonist, said, “I’ve got a lot of guns and manpower.” The other guy goes, “that’s a good plan.” So, with that much cap space, and, possibly even more, I’m going Poles filling the needs on the team with FA, beginning with signing a pass rushing DT, a WLB (hoping for Edmunds), and a top OL prospect to play C: I’m thinking Jenkins from GB. In other words, I’m thinking that the top holes on this team get filled in with a talent upgrade. On another note, I’m toying with the idea of trading Khalil Herbert to KC for CEH and a 7th. I’ll get my mock off-season done in the near to distant future.

My position is that you should NOT use the draft to fill needs. That’s as fucking dumb as Pace drafting Jenkins to start at LT and jettisoning the starter. No. We should use the draft to infuse talent. We need to come out of the draft lethal at positions that teams don’t want to release players into free agency within.

I used the mock draft database site to guesstimate what we could pick. As of today, we have the 2nd overall pick. I traded with Seattle. They got our 1st and we got both their 1sts this year, a 1st next, and a 3rd.

On to my mock:

1669606786219.png
1. ) Bijan Robinson RB Texas– A pure offensive weapon. When this pick happens, fans are caught in wanting to lose their minds, but also in remembering what RB and LB means to our franchise. Look at what SF is able to do with CMC. Yeah, people are going to shake their head about taking at RB early, especially within the top 10. I’m telling you now, that’s where he is going. He can line up out wide and run a full route tree. He has great hands. He also happens to be the best RB in the draft. Putting him in the backfield would force a team to play base for the run, yet he could easily move out wide and run routes. This guy’s the real deal. Think a bigger, meaner, nastier Marshall Faulk.

1669607034769.png
1.) (Seattle) Trenton Simpson LB Clemson – a big dude that is an athletic freak. He has the size and speed to pass rush. He can thump. Bring him in as an off-ball pass rusher and letting him transition into a full time linebacker with a ton of responsibility. Hopefully, we have Edmunds to bring him along and transition him.

1669607111123.png

2.) Jaelyn Duncan OT Maryland – He’s just so athletic. Yes, he has a bunch of penalties, but he seems to fit what Poles wants in an OL. He should be able to slide right in on the Right and just blast people. Watching him pull and hit people is a think of beauty. He is lethal on screens. He has the temperament you want to see out of RT. He has the arms and body length to play on the edge, but he is a sick blocker that would look great as Jenkins’ right hand man blowing up holes for Bijan and Montgomery and our other draft pick – oh, I’m getting ahead of myself.

1669607300275.png
3.) Dalton Kincaid UTE – Look at all the WR in the 3rd round – slot possession guys: Zay Flowers, Cedric Tillman, and my man Parker Washington, but Poles grabs a TE! What in the living fuck? Well, everyone’s saying we need a receiver, sticky-handed, and in the slot; a dynamic athlete; capable of moving the chains and being moved around the formation. Here’s possibly the best flex TE. Why is he falling to the 3rd, only 1 year of HS ball, and he’s coming out of Utah. He’s raw. So, he is possibly the best flex TE in the draft, so why go with a smaller WR when you can get a giant TE that basically does the same thing?

1669607423094.png
3.) (Seattle) Parker Washington WR Penn State – We finally draft a WR – a sticky-handed slot receiver that is like Eazy-E, “built like a tank and hard to hit” Parker Washington “come running shit”. He is just what Fields needs.

1669607490188.png
4.) Habakkuk Baldonado DE Pitt – Is it too soon to call him the Italian Stallion? Poles loves his raw athletic all upside pass rushers. That’s his guy. Baldonado is a point and click go get ‘im type of dude who is raw and needs development. Sound familiar?

1669607616699.png
4.) Deuce Vaughn RB Kansas State – Here’s where motherfuckers lose their mind. Holy shit does the board melt down. What, he’s only 5’6”? Yeah. That’s why we get him in the 4th. He’s probably the second best pure offensive weapon in the draft and may have THE BEST HANDS in the draft. Yes, he brings back memories of Cohen, but getsy gets a guy that can make catch after catch and threaten carries. He only needs 5-10 targets a game to be deadly. He’s what they were hoping to get with Ebner, but better.

1669607657541.png

5.) Keeanu Benton NT Wisconsin – This is the dilemma: he’s the best pure run stuffing DT in the draft. He is a perfect A gapping offset true NT. With his power, he should be more impactful as a pass rusher, but he hasn’t shown a pass rush upside. Now, he is perfect for a role that allows the other DT to hit the hole, and he can control gaps to allow the LB to read and hit without worrying about an OL getting on him. He’s a great role player who has a part to play, the Dusty to the pass rushing Tommy.

1669607774901.png

5.) Jonathan Mingo WR Miss – The hands, the hands, the motherfucking hands!!!!! Yes there are some concentration drops, but the dude can catch! He falls because, despite his size, he won’t consistently take the top off of a D. He’s probably going to be a big slot. He’s not what many teams want, but, he could make our team complete as a sure-handed Z.

1669607816268.png

7.) Avery Young CB Rutgers – a very experienced CB with size, skills, and tenacity. The kind of prospect you say “yes please” when he’s available in the 7th. He should start on ST right away and may even crack the starting lineup as a N.

napo55

Liked Posts:
The big question about free agency and that 116 million dollars is how many good , young, players will be available, that is won't be signed or franchised. Most teams find a way to retain promising young players--the Bears and Roquan Smith being an exception.
In fact it will be interesting to see how the money saved by trading RS is used and whether the team would have been better off keeping Roquan.

greg23

Liked Posts:
Trade our best rb for a shittier rb....then draft two rb in rounds 1 and 4???

Who rehired Ryan Pace?

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
I hope that Poles only uses FA to bridge the team while draft picks are developing regardless of how much cap he has to play with. The sure fire way to end up in mediocre land is to fill all your needs with FA after a 3 win season. The goal should be prolonged success not the Rams.

baselman1974

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
If the Bears did this mock off-season, I really will go to the suicide machine they have in the movie “Soylent Green” , and just watch the ‘85 Bears season till I die.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
If the Bears end up top 3, there are 3 positions worth taking - QB, LT, pass rusher.

I’d even accept a WR given the Bears needs. But if the Bears hold their current position, Will Anderson is the pick

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Sons of Anarchy was one of the dumbest shows I've ever seen.

The Bears potentially needing 1st round talent at premium positions like WR/LT/Edge/3-Tech/CB and we're trading our best RB and then drafting one in the 1st round.

Not using the draft to fill needs is an interesting strategy.

vinson555

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm not going to lie, there are still holes on the team, but dare I say, doesn't this team just need, Talent?

On Offense, we need RB if they don't come to terms with Monty. We don't know what he wants. We don't know if Poles wants him. Without him, It's Herbert and nothing.

You get guys who likely will be WR to catch the ball when thrown to him, so I can dig it.

There is an RT, so there is that.

You traded down, I kind of hope to get more than that when we do, but, right now you draft talent where needed. But no all holes will be filled. We get Payne, in FA, DT becomes much less of a need.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
"but also in remembering what RB and LB means to our franchise."

This statement gets 1669642964533.png1669642954868.png1669642910699.png1669642887743.png

That's like saying, remember what child labor meant to the development of this country we need more of that.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I will say, Bijan and Simpson would definitely be BPA draft picks. I think both of those dudes are elite prospects, but I also think there's next to 0 chance the Bears grab a RB AND an off ball LB in the 1st round. Eberflus already laughed off the position value of LB in the 1st (though he was more talking top 10).

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If the Bears end up top 3, there are 3 positions worth taking - QB, LT, pass rusher.

I’d even accept a WR given the Bears needs. But if the Bears hold their current position, Will Anderson is the pick
lets hope so

Nelly

Liked Posts:
You almost lost me at the "you should NOT use the draft to fill needs" part. You definitely lost me where you used the first round pick to draft a RB.
You don't draft for need though. If Bijan Robinson is the most talented/best player at your pick, you take him. If he's indeed like CMC, imagine that alongside Fields in the Bears' offensive backfield, behind an improved O line thanks to all that cap space. That'd be pretty crazy.

I don't think it's likely, at all, but I'd much rather have the next CMC than the next Rashaan Gary, for example, even though DE is a bigger need at the moment.

Last edited:

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
You don't draft for need though. If Bijan Robinson is the most talented/best player in the draft, you take him. If he's indeed like CMC, imagine that alongside Fields in the Bears' offensive backfield, behind an improved O line thanks to all that cap space. That'd be pretty crazy.

I don't think it's likely, at all, but I'd much rather have the next CMC than the next Rashaan Gary, for example, even though DE is a bigger need at the moment.
I'll agree to disagree because im not having this same dumb argument for the 15th year in a row.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
I'll agree to disagree because im not having this same dumb argument for the 15th year in a row.
If you've got him and a DL/OL/LB/WR similarly scored/ranked/whatever, I'm perfectly fine with need being a tie-breaker.