Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
LT in the last 1/2 of round 2 is usually a losing proposition.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Umm, Mack “rag dolled” that rookie once. Most of the time Mack lined up against Wirfs the Iowa took was just fine. Mack had more pressures when lined up v the LT.
And to be fair, not every OLB is like Mack!

Wirfs allowed 0 sacks, 0 pressures and 0 hurries on Sunday against Zadarius and Preston Smith of the Packers. Maybe, just maybe, Khalil Mack is a special player.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
LT in the last 1/2 of round 2 is usually a losing proposition.

How about 7th round picks that have gotten paid and then fallen off a cliff?

By the way, guys like Dion Dawkins and Brian O'Neill (RT) have become good tackles in the NFL who were late 2nd round picks.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
How about 7th round picks that have gotten paid and then fallen off a cliff?
Relevance to my post? This draft was deep at LT and I was all for taking one if by some chance a 1st round talent fell. It didn't. I'm all about drafting 1st round LTs. Not so much the last 1/2 of round 2 unless you're trying to fill a different spot on the line. There's a reason they get paid over twice as much as RTs on average.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Relevance to my post?

You said, drafting a LT in the late 2nd is a losing proposition. The Bears currently have a former 7th round pick, who has fallen off the cliff at LT, and he sucks. When's this magical winning proposition going to come around? And are you content with throwing Leno and Massie out there until it does?

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It's like drafting a late 2nd round QB. You can get lucky but generally a bad idea. We currently have an early 2nd round LT behind Leno. Should probably try him at some point. Spriggs has played elsewhere on the line for the Pack but he looked like a pure LT coming out but only because if he couldn't play LT, he was probably not going to get stout enough for elsewhere and that's been the case. Kinda like Chris Williams who was a 1st round LT and a pick I didn't care for on draft day because he sucked.

LTs that go against the best rushers on your QBs blind side are highly valued and those expected to start there in the NFL go early. Simple as that. I didn't say the end of round 2 was a waste because I don't value the position. Quite the opposite and reaching out of desperation is a formula for fail.

Last edited:

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
It's like drafting a late 2nd round QB. You can get lucky but generally a bad idea. We currently have an early 2nd round LT behind Leno. Should probably try him at some point. Spriggs has played elsewhere on the line for the Pack but he looked like a pure LT coming out but only because if he couldn't play LT, he was probably not going to get stout enough for elsewhere and that's been the case. Kinda like Chris Williams who was a 1st round LT and a pick I didn't care for on draft day because he sucked.

LTs that go against the best rushers on your QBs blind side are highly valued and those expected to start there in the NFL go early. Simple as that. I didn't say the end of round 2 was a waste because I don't value the position. Quite the opposite and reaching out of desperation is a formula for fail.

Nobody said anything about reaching. And this post is all over the place. Chris Williams has nothing to do with anything, other than the fact that just because a guy is picked in the first half of the first round doesn't mean he's any good.

Some of the best LTs in the league were drafted after the mid 2nd. Dion Dawkins, David Bahktiari, Terron Armstead, Andrew Whitworth. There are no rules to drafting which positions where.

discplayer

Liked Posts:
Wirfs allowed 0 sacks, 0 pressures and 0 hurries on Sunday against Zadarius and Preston Smith of the Packers. Maybe, just maybe, Khalil Mack is a special player.

What dawg said :)

discplayer

Liked Posts:

And just maybe Wirfs is - or soon will be - too.

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
or packers defense is and has always been overrated and their sacks are padded stats, a sole product of the system the packers run and is why they allow way more points against.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Which of these two outcomes would you prefer?

1) Pace drafts an offensive tackle in the first, but since Pace has no idea what he's doing with that position so the guy sucks and its a wasted pick.
2) Pace drafts a cornerback, linebacker or receiver in the first and the guy winds up being pretty good.

So personally I lean against the idea of drafting for need with this particular front office, they tend to be awful when forced to do that. I'm not a Ryan Pace fan by any means but he is already better than many G.M.'s around the league because he can at least consistently succeed at drafting a few positions. Probably best to work within those limitations.

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
Which of these two outcomes would you prefer?

1) Pace drafts an offensive tackle in the first, but since Pace has no idea what he's doing with that position so the guy sucks and its a wasted pick.
2) Pace drafts a cornerback, linebacker or receiver in the first and the guy winds up being pretty good.

So personally I lean against the idea of drafting for need with this particular front office, they tend to be awful when forced to do that. I'm not a Ryan Pace fan by any means but he is already better than many G.M.'s around the league because he can at least consistently succeed at drafting a few positions. Probably best to work within those limitations.
I think BPA is the way to go. especially in the first within our needs. so thats QB/LT/WR/SS/DL/ILB/OLB/OG/TE

Last edited:

Montucky

Liked Posts:

I think BPA is the way to go. especially in the first within our needs. so thats QB/LT/WR/SS/DL/ILB/OLB/OG/TE
I think this particularly applies to the 2021 draft. Judging players after this NCAA season is going to be extraordinarily difficult.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
I'm not sold on aiming for a rookie that will be able to compete for left tackle next off-season in the second round.

I do think we could find a guy who would compete at RT with th athleticism to one day play LT in that frame. If they are ready to move on from both tackles this off-season, I'd say you look for a LT in free agency or hold on to Leno, and draft a guy to take over at RT.

bufordht

Liked Posts:
I would go OT with the first 2 picks if there's decent prospects there. Wait for QB till next year unless one drops in your lap. Start the new qb out with a decent line.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Remy this is a safe space. It’s okay to admit Leno is garbage. We will still love you my friend.

I don't think you've been listening to Remy at all if you think he's defending anyone on the offensive line. He is simply saying they have all sucked while some like to focus on Leno.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Trade for a GOOD veteran guard now, with multiple years on his contract. Plug him in at LG the rest of the way. In the offseason, figure out where to play that vet, Whitehair and Daniels. Even if it means trying Daniels at C again (Whitehair has been bad this year).

Draft a tackle in the first 2 rounds. Use the rest of this season to determine which of Leno or Massie to cut (creating too many holes to cut both), but bring in a cheap swing tackle (preferably someone better than Spriggs) that can start if Leno/Massie struggles again to start 2021.

Daniels has yet to show he has a fucking clue what he is doing when he as to block in space. Putting him again at center sounds like a recipe for disaster. Coaches have also stated he isn't vocal enough of a lineman to be a center, although that may have changed with time/maturity. Whitehair is nowhere good enough to make up for the guards next to him fucking up. I still don't think guard is his best position either although he's at times played decently at guard.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I would go OT with the first 2 picks if there's decent prospects there. Wait for QB till next year unless one drops in your lap. Start the new qb out with a decent line.

If they draft a QB, he will start as the backup to Foles anyway, so doesn't really matter if you're trying to protect him if he's on the bench. And what do you do if one doesn't fall in your lap in 2022? Or the year after that? Or ever?

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Daniels has yet to show he has a fucking clue what he is doing when he as to block in space. Putting him again at center sounds like a recipe for disaster. Coaches have also stated he isn't vocal enough of a lineman to be a center, although that may have changed with time/maturity. Whitehair is nowhere good enough to make up for the guards next to him fucking up. I still don't think guard is his best position either although he's at times played decently at guard.

Well Tom Thayer has been saying the exact opposite of most of this but he doesn't have anywhere near your experience.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
Move Whitehair to RT where he belongs and draft a center in the late 1st round. Bears don’t have the luxury of waiting on a late 1st or 2nd round LT to develop. Late 1st round center is an instant plug and play pick.