We Have To Be Better

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I'm already impressed. We will get better. They've made so many great decisions already. I doubt we have a winning record. Last year, this year—both are kind of lost years. Nagy/Pace really fucked up this team. This year is all about supporting Fields and growth. Good play-calling. Young guys evolving. Getting rid of trash, older players, guys that don't bust their asses. I expect our 2nd round picks to be either OL/WR or WR/WR. I'm excited for ALL of the draft picks, as I think these guys will draft better. I'm here for it. And so far, I'm impressed. FA isn't done yet. We'll see if we get a LT/RT.

Its exactly that.

I'll never understand how some fans can be so on board by the end of one season that the current roster is ass, then then be MAD when we don't keep those ass players and let them all walk. It's silliness.

Poles is doing this thing the right way.

Bear_Assed

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Its exactly that.

I'll never understand how some fans can be so on board by the end of one season that the current roster is ass, then then be MAD when we don't keep those ass players and let them all walk. It's silliness.

Poles is doing this thing the right way.
What has poles done so far, for growth and supporting Fields? Specifically?

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
What has he done so far that has you thinking he is doing fine? Specially.

What players on this team are going to help a young inexperienced QB grow next year?
You sure are being particular about 'fine'. Tell your wife she looks 'fine' or a waiter the food is 'fine' and see if they thinks that's necessarily a favorable description.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
What gives u confidence the Oline and WR will improve? Bears have already passed on the best Olinemen and receivers in free agency. Poles has never been a GM before and is 37 years old. What specifically gives you confidence?

I remember when u was a young bears fan, I used to think every year would be better than the previous. Unfortunately it usually doesn’t work that way with this team
Couldn't get much worse. We are barely three days into FA. OUR WR were bad, Mooney is still here. Pringle I like a lot as a WR and I assume they will pick up more veteran WR and get WR in the draft, most likely in the 2nd round. So, yes, I think the WR corps will improve. I already like some of the OL moves they have made, and I also think they will make more FA moves (Armstead is still out there) and also think they will draft high taking an OL as well. I like everything Poles has said, and the way he is carrying out these tasks. Will this team be good this year? No, it will not. But Nagy/Pace really fucked this team up. Consider this a lost year, where the focus is on Fields getting better. And he will.

All I can say is that this year feels different. Ask me again after the draft. Ask me again after camps. I definitely think they will have a losing season but I don't care about the record, 8-9 or 6-11. This team WILL look better. And then next year we have a TON of cap space.

Have faith, brother.

Bear_Assed

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Couldn't get much worse. We are barely three days into FA. OUR WR were bad, Mooney is still here. Pringle I like a lot as a WR and I assume they will pick up more veteran WR and get WR in the draft, most likely in the 2nd round. So, yes, I think the WR corps will improve. I already like some of the OL moves they have made, and I also think they will make more FA moves (Armstead is still out there) and also think they will draft high taking an OL as well. I like everything Poles has said, and the way he is carrying out these tasks. Will this team be good this year? No, it will not. But Nagy/Pace really fucked this team up. Consider this a lost year, where the focus is on Fields getting better. And he will.

All I can say is that this year feels different. Ask me again after the draft. Ask me again after camps. I definitely think they will have a losing season but I don't care about the record, 8-9 or 6-11. This team WILL look better. And then next year we have a TON of cap space.

Have faith, brother.
Just because it feels different doesn’t mean it is better. I wish I could have faith, but have seen too many bears QBs fail in Chicago because of the shit they get surrounded with. This is going to be a very important year for Fields development, perhaps his most important. And right now, seeing what is left in free agency and not having a rd 1 pick looks like another year of average-at-best weapons for our young QB.

Bears Backer 54

Liked Posts:
I'm most concerned with protecting Fields and giving him a weapon or two to evaluate his ability to read defenses and make good decisions when not running for his life. I hope we continue to get a FA or two on the line and maybe a WR if the right option is there and then draft some playmakers, Oline depth, etc. We have to make sure we know what we have in Fields by the end of this season so we can plan for the future confidently. If the defense has several stop gap players filling in holes in the process, so be it.

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
What has poles done so far, for growth and supporting Fields? Specifically?
I'm sorry, is the offseason over and the season has started already?

No?

Then sit your ass down and wait till it is before bitching.

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I'm most concerned with protecting Fields and giving him a weapon or two to evaluate his ability to read defenses and make good decisions when not running for his life. I hope we continue to get a FA or two on the line and maybe a WR if the right option is there and then draft some playmakers, Oline depth, etc. We have to make sure we know what we have in Fields by the end of this season so we can plan for the future confidently. If the defense has several stop gap players filling in holes in the process, so be it.

I think all of us are concerned about that.

But what I am seeing so far, I'm okay with.

The plans obviously seems to be geared towards loading up next year. We got a brand new center with some nasty to him, which arguably was the weakest position on the entire offensive line we had.

We picked up some high upside wide receivers who will be given a shot to fill out the third and fourth wide receiver spots respectively.

I get people are bitching, but it usually doesn't work signing a guy to be your number one wide receiver and free agency and you overpay.

Instead, what the Bears have done is moved themselves into position to draft a wide receiver and an offensive lineman in order to fill out holes on the offensive side of the roster.

Not sure how these guys are with wide receivers, but both are GM and assistant GM have long insignificant track records of being able to find quality offensive line talent in the draft, so I think knowing that they deserve the benefit of the doubt until they prove otherwise.

They will end up protecting Fields but using draft picks to do it. They may also be banking on the coaching for the offensive line last year being absolute horseshit and therefore are expecting improvement from Jenkins and white hair. Or maybe they get some quality in the draft and white hair becomes a liability they cut after June 1st.

One of the more interesting moves I saw was them resigning Simmons despite Simmons looking really bad last year. When you consider that they let Alex bars go as well as all the other free agents with the exception of the long snapper, it makes me wonder what they see in him.

The point is though, we still have the draft, we still have the second and third rounds of free agency, and we have the period after the draft where there will be even more cuts, and more on top of that after June 1st.

So still plenty of time to protect fields and add more weapons.

Bears Backer 54

Liked Posts:
I think all of us are concerned about that.

But what I am seeing so far, I'm okay with.

The plans obviously seems to be geared towards loading up next year. We got a brand new center with some nasty to him, which arguably was the weakest position on the entire offensive line we had.

We picked up some high upside wide receivers who will be given a shot to fill out the third and fourth wide receiver spots respectively.

I get people are bitching, but it usually doesn't work signing a guy to be your number one wide receiver and free agency and you overpay.

Instead, what the Bears have done is moved themselves into position to draft a wide receiver and an offensive lineman in order to fill out holes on the offensive side of the roster.

Not sure how these guys are with wide receivers, but both are GM and assistant GM have long insignificant track records of being able to find quality offensive line talent in the draft, so I think knowing that they deserve the benefit of the doubt until they prove otherwise.

They will end up protecting Fields but using draft picks to do it. They may also be banking on the coaching for the offensive line last year being absolute horseshit and therefore are expecting improvement from Jenkins and white hair. Or maybe they get some quality in the draft and white hair becomes a liability they cut after June 1st.

One of the more interesting moves I saw was them resigning Simmons despite Simmons looking really bad last year. When you consider that they let Alex bars go as well as all the other free agents with the exception of the long snapper, it makes me wonder what they see in him.

The point is though, we still have the draft, we still have the second and third rounds of free agency, and we have the period after the draft where there will be even more cuts, and more on top of that after June 1st.

So still plenty of time to protect fields and add more weapons.
I get drafting olinemen, but my concern will be the lack of experience across that line. I know it is a new regime, but I'm a little burnt out on the coach speak of "the line needs time to gel" for a full season, meanwhile the QB is getting sacked and running for their life and impossible to evaluate. I hope they can find some year 1 starters for the offensive line and I hope they are better than previous regimes at this, but it's hard to have much confidence given the organization's track record in this arena as of late.

tgmxd

Liked Posts:
I'm already impressed. We will get better. They've made so many great decisions already. I doubt we have a winning record. Last year, this year—both are kind of lost years. Nagy/Pace really fucked up this team. This year is all about supporting Fields and growth. Good play-calling. Young guys evolving. Getting rid of trash, older players, guys that don't bust their asses. I expect our 2nd round picks to be either OL/WR or WR/WR. I'm excited for ALL of the draft picks, as I think these guys will draft better. I'm here for it. And so far, I'm impressed. FA isn't done yet. We'll see if we get a LT/RT.
Here’s my problem with what they are doing this year. Drafting and developing guys is always smarter than free agency. The issue we have right now is they are on mismatched timelines with Fields.

Fields needs immediate reinforcements on the offensive line and WR room. As in from the first snap, not 2/3rds of the way through the season or 2023, and especially not 2024 which is how long it usually takes to fairly let these players come into their own.

Mooney has a chance to turn into a true #1 this year but the odds are nowhere near a certainty. That’s why we are making a big risk not going all in right now on bringing in talent on offense for Fields.

We need to be following what the Chargers did with Herbert and what the Bills did with Allen and that’s overloading the roster on offense immediately to give our young QB the best chance to turn into a star.

We failed Fields last year and so far this is more of the same. Right now he has Mooney, Kmet, Pringle, and potentially another dice roll.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Here’s my problem with what they are doing this year. Drafting and developing guys is always smarter than free agency. The issue we have right now is they are on mismatched timelines with Fields.

Fields needs immediate reinforcements on the offensive line and WR room. As in from the first snap, not 2/3rds of the way through the season or 2023, and especially not 2024 which is how long it usually takes to fairly let these players come into their own.

Mooney has a chance to turn into a true #1 this year but the odds are nowhere near a certainty. That’s why we are making a big risk not going all in right now on bringing in talent on offense for Fields.

We need to be following what the Chargers did with Herbert and what the Bills did with Allen and that’s overloading the roster on offense immediately to give our young QB the best chance to turn into a star.

We failed Fields last year and so far this is more of the same. Right now he has Mooney, Kmet, Pringle, and potentially another dice roll.
I hear you, but did FA end? No. There are still players out there, Monty is a good RB, Kmet SHOULD take a step up, there lots of moves to still make PLUS the 2nd round. I don't like that we just lost our 3T DT, that was a big move that is now gone.

tgmxd

Liked Posts:
I hear you, but did FA end? No. There are still players out there, Monty is a good RB, Kmet SHOULD take a step up, there lots of moves to still make PLUS the 2nd round. I don't like that we just lost our 3T DT, that was a big move that is now gone.

Problem is though we know how these draft picks work - even if they use both 2nd rounders at WR you can't count on them day 1 and usually not until at least year 2 or 3. Fields development is crucial right now and we have already failed him an entire year.

This is a bottom 10 WR core right now and they only way out of it is trying to trade for another #1/ high end #2 receiver or true impact TE to pair with Mooney in the short term. Right now there's nobody available in FA who fits that mold. The Bills went all in one Stefon Diggs because they knew there was nothing more important than Josh Allen taking a huge step forward and becoming a star.

That one move is still paying huge dividends

Forty-six

Liked Posts:
Teams that fire both their coach and GM have major gaps in talent and other issues, such as a lack of draft capital. This is a process and things will not be "fixed" after two weeks of free agency. If nothing else, the Bears have a chance to get to 7 or maybe 8 wins because the schedule is much easier than it was last year. They might also go backwards this year so that they can go forward in the following years. I'll consider the 2022 season a success if...

1. The offense is constructed around Fields and designed to maximize his specific skill set
2. Fields shows considerable growth and cements in people's minds he is QB1 for the next 10 years+
3. The team plays hard and is competitive while likely being outmatched in most games played
4. The HC proves he is a guy who should lead the team, can develop an identity for the team and makes intelligent in game decisions

I'm not sure we should measure success this year in number of W's. If things look sketchy after the 2023 free agency period and draft and start of the season then you can start questioning the moves being made.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Problem is though we know how these draft picks work - even if they use both 2nd rounders at WR you can't count on them day 1 and usually not until at least year 2 or 3. Fields development is crucial right now and we have already failed him an entire year.

This is a bottom 10 WR core right now and they only way out of it is trying to trade for another #1/ high end #2 receiver or true impact TE to pair with Mooney in the short term. Right now there's nobody available in FA who fits that mold. The Bills went all in one Stefon Diggs because they knew there was nothing more important than Josh Allen taking a huge step forward and becoming a star.

That one move is still paying huge dividends
They don't have to be the #1. And last year there were 5-6 wr that contributed from day one. But we don't expect this team to win this year. So this is all about their development—Pickens and an OT in the 2nd is just fine. They'll develop. This year is shot. We just want everyone to grow and develop, and protect Fields. I agree that it's probably a bottom 10 WR corps this year. But it will improve. Next year there will be cap space to make other moves. I'd be more pissed if we did not take a WR in the 2nd at all. That would be upsetting.

tgmxd

Liked Posts:
This year is shot. We just want everyone to grow and develop, and protect Fields. I agree that it's probably a bottom 10 WR corps this year. But it will improve. Next year there will be cap space to make other moves. I'd be more pissed if we did not take a WR in the 2nd at all. That would be upsetting.

This is the problem. This year cannot be “shot” for Justin Fields again for the 2nd year in a row or there’s a great chance he’s the next top QB prospect burned by a bad franchise and thrown to the scrap heap.

We need to be smarter than this but by every possible measure this franchise still isn’t.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This is the problem. This year cannot be “shot” for Justin Fields again for the 2nd year in a row or there’s a great chance he’s the next top QB prospect burned by a bad franchise and thrown to the scrap heap.

We need to be smarter than this but by every possible measure this franchise still isn’t.
Last year was wasted. Nagy/Pace fucked it up. Fields got little support, they didn't scheme for him, so essentially this year is his rookie year. You don't have to like it, but that's what this is. Will he develop? Yes. But this year will not be a winning season, and there will be no playoffs. The difference is that Poles/Flus are actually working WITH HIM, going to scheme AROUND HIM, and hopefully put some new/better players in positions to help him. Monty is a good RB, that is set. Mooney is a WR2 with upside, that is set. Our OL is okay/average, and will hopefully be upgraded through FA/draft. Kmet needs to take a step. Take this year for what it is.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
This team has the worst talent in the NFL. 5 wins would be a fucking miracle

Skull

Liked Posts:
Nope. Just trying to be optimistic. Nagy was not good for our team. That alone gives us a chance to be better :)
Wish they would have utilized Cordell Patterson better when we had him!