Week 10 Game Review - who's to blame? (hint: Nagy's offense)

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
View attachment 8541
I know this is a still shot, but I am confused. I am having a hard time wrapping my brain around the fact that all of the Bears offensive lineman have shuffled back between 4 and 7 yards from the line of scrimmage , the Viking DE is 9 yards deep to the LOS, yet not one WR/TE has even made it 5 yards up field and Patterson is stil l3 yards behind the line though they all seem to be running at top speed. What is happening here?

Miller and Kmet are running mesh crossing routes. Patterson came out of the backfield. Bars blocked the wrong man, as he literally stepped right in front of Whitehair to block his man. This left Leno to block two defenders, the blitzing linebacker and the edge rusher. He chooses the inside man, so the edge rusher is already behind everyone because he’s running unabated to the QB.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
And with all that, the OL had a better day on Monday. Problem is individual fuckups were still there. I hate that they don't know or are late to their assignments. Ifedi is the most disappointing because he has the tools to be a VG G but he consistently drops his head and lunges instead scanning and shuffling with a good anchor. He also dives in zone instead of finding a better target. He's got the size, strength and mobility to pop one guy and move over to another if needed but instead, he picks a spot he thinks a DL will be and lunges.

Looks like Foles has thrown in the towel. He was bad and seeing ghosts.

I used to think that if the sets and motion were reduced, the plays are fine and for the most part they are but there's not enough weekly scheming or freedom of routes with this complexity. We also are way too predictable when certain sets or personnel groups are on the field.

Last edited:

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
And with all that, the OL had a better day on Monday. Problem is individual fuckups were still there. I hate that they don't know or are late to their assignments. Ifedi is the most disappointing because he has the tools to be a VG G but he consistently drops his head and lunges instead scanning and shuffling with a good anchor. He's got the size, strength and mobility to pop one guy and move over to another if needed but instead, he picks a spot he thinks a DL will be and lunges.

Looks like Foles has thrown in the towel. He was bad and seeing ghosts.
Agreed, the OL execution looks like a really badly coached college team. Like watching a Bama vs Vandy game. The only offensive coach that even seems close to pulling his weight is Furrey and even he can't get Miller to pull his head out of his ass. All falls one one guy, the HC and offensive architect.

The Bears offense as designed by Matt Nagy:
1605793145470.png

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I know right, it's a total clown show...

Here's the first play of the game you mentioned...
View attachment 8542

View attachment 8543

Animated GIF

People can blame Lazor for calling the play but the root problem is it being in Nagy's playbook in the first place. In what universe does this play have a chance of being successful? This play has literally zero chance of being successful even if Miller doesn't get blown the fuck up like a rag doll.

Same with the 3rd and 5 screen pass to ARob at the end of the game. The fact that this play is even in the playbook tells me Nagy has no clue what he's doing and cares more about his "system" then putting his players in positions to be successful.
View attachment 8546
Throwing a screen pass 5 yards behind the LOS and asking ARob to break tackles is a criminal misuse of his skillset.

Those plays are in everyone's playbook. You expect the WR to block one guy and for Mooney to break or evade the tackle of the other.

The issue is perssonel. It is beyond stupid to have a bad blocker like Miller blocking. If that is ARob or Wims and they hold their block, Mooney can cut in or out depending on the angle the other DB takes.

Then not sure why you would use ARob on that screen but it also looks like the OL are late as they are suppose to be out in front.

It is like Nagy and Lazor have no idea the strengths of the personel or that his OL sucks.

I also have no idea why they are trying to run KC offense with little speed until Mooney came along. These plays go nowhere in large part because none of these guys are true YAC guys. Miller was suppose to be one but has failed miserably at it.

Last edited:

Broc

well baked
Donator
Liked Posts:
Those plays are in everyone's playbook. You expect the WR to block one guy and for Mooney to break or evade the tackle of the other.

The issue is perssonel. It is beyond stupid to have a bad blocker like Miller blocking. If that is ARob or Wims and they hold their block, Mooney can cut in or out depending on the angle the other DB takes.

Then not sure why you would use ARob on that screen but it also looks like the OL are late as they are suppose to be out in front.

It is like Nagy and Lazor have no idea the strengths of the personel or that his OL sucks.

I also have no idea why they are trying to run KC offense with little speed until Mooney came along. These plays go nowhere in large part because none of these guys are true YAC guys. Miller was suppose to be one but has failed miserably at it.

You say it's personnel yet everything you describe falls onto coaching.

I don't give a fuck if those plays are in everyone's playbook, if you aren't going to put the correct players in the correct spots for the play to work or flat out don't have the players necessary to make it work then they shouldn't be in your playbook.

You can't just call plays with no regards as to what players you have out there at each position, which seems to be the way Nagy and his coaching staff operate based upon the comments he's made in regards to Kmet's lack of opportunities and their handling of the TE position. Apparently that's exactly what they do, they just call plays and whoever happens to be in there at that moment oh well.

A competent HC would of heard that WR screen play to ARob being called in by Lazor and shut that shit down knowing that there's no way in hell the OL is going to be able to make the blocks and that ARob game isn't taking passes 5 yards behind the LOS and picking up the first by making a bunch of people miss...

A competent HC wouldn't have tried going to Nagy 202 after Nagy 101 and the bag of gimmicks were figured out by the end of 2018, he would of re-evaluated and adjusted. But since Nagy is an egomaniac who thought the 12-4 record was purely due to his offensive genius instead of Fangio's defense he instead plowed ahead with Nagy 202 which predictably shit the bed.

A competent HC would have realized after the 2019 debacle that his system needed to be completely rethought and overhauled to fit his talent but no, instead Nagy doubles down yet again, scapegoating his assistants and acting like a new OL coach and new QB were the missing pieces to make it work.

I seriously can't fathom how anyone can possibly absolve Nagy of his share of the blame on this and pawn it off as solely a "personnel" issue. His fingerprints are all over this roster, the personnel decisions that have been made, and how they get used.

Not sure how anyone can defend trading Howard away for a 6th because he supposedly doesn't fit your system, then having to trade up to draft his replacement because you needlessly created a hole at RB (instead of being able to use that pick to help the OL) and then takes a WR with the next pick only to immediately put them in the doghouse for daring to question all the setup routes you have him running and never play the kid.

And then this year you decide a Kelce type TE is the missing piece to your system so you draft Kmet and then never throw him the ball and wait until the 7th round to address the OL because the new OL coach is going to solve all those problems and you're too busy obsessing over your niche players Cohen and Patterson and making them the focal point of your offense.

It's a fucking joke. Neither Pace or Nagy deserve a job in the NFL. I don't know how you can possibly have either of them preside over the next offseason and draft.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:

I don't give a fuck if those plays are in everyone's playbook, if you aren't going to put the correct players in the correct spots for the play to work or flat out don't have the players necessary to make it work then they shouldn't be in your playbook.

You can't just call plays with no regards as to what players you have out there at each position, which seems to be the way Nagy and his coaching staff operate based upon the comments he's made in regards to Kmet's lack of opportunities and their handling of the TE position. Apparently that's exactly what they do, they just call plays and whoever happens to be in there at that moment oh well.

A competent HC would of heard that WR screen play to ARob being called in by Lazor and shut that shit down knowing that there's no way in hell the OL is going to be able to make the blocks and that ARob game isn't taking passes 5 yards behind the LOS and picking up the first by making a bunch of people miss...

A competent HC wouldn't have tried going to Nagy 202 after Nagy 101 and the bag of gimmicks were figured out by the end of 2018, he would of re-evaluated and adjusted. But since Nagy is an egomaniac who thought the 12-4 record was purely due to his offensive genius instead of Fangio's defense he instead plowed ahead with Nagy 202 which predictably shit the bed.

A competent HC would have realized after the 2019 debacle that his system needed to be completely rethought and overhauled to fit his talent but no, instead Nagy doubles down yet again, scapegoating his assistants and acting like a new OL coach and new QB were the missing pieces to make it work.

I seriously can't fathom how anyone can possibly absolve Nagy of his share of the blame on this and pawn it off as solely a "personnel" issue. His fingerprints are all over this roster, the personnel decisions that have been made, and how they get used.

Not sure how anyone can defend trading Howard away for a 6th because he supposedly doesn't fit your system, then having to trade up to draft his replacement because you needlessly created a hole at RB (instead of being able to use that pick to help the OL) and then takes a WR with the next pick only to immediately put them in the doghouse for daring to question all the setup routes you have him running and never play the kid.

And then this year you decide a Kelce type TE is the missing piece to your system so you draft Kmet and then never throw him the ball and wait until the 7th round to address the OL because the new OL coach is going to solve all those problems and you're too busy obsessing over your niche players Cohen and Patterson and making them the focal point of your offense.

It's a fucking joke. Neither Pace or Nagy deserve a job in the NFL. I don't know how you can possibly have either of them preside over the next offseason and draft.
? Drop

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Missing the point. I agree that if falls on coaching. I am saying the issue is Nagy's stupid personnel groupings and not the play call itself.

There is nothing wrong with calling that play with Wimms or ARob blocking for Mooney is my point. There is no need to remove the play from the playbook as you suggested. You simply need to call that play with the right players in the right spots.

I have been hating on Nagy and his dumb personnel groupings from 2018 when most were fawning over his exotic play calls drunk off of his initial success. I said at the time his penchant for changing personnel so much would eventually be a problem. Nagy will run a play that works and then you will never see that play again because he is so enamored with staying ahead of the D or outsmarting them. He has all these players coming in and out instead of just focusing on a core set of players and a core set of plays.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
There was a whole thread started and full of CCS potatoes blaming Miller for that pick?

Wouldn't shock me if it was the same people that blamed Trubisky the entire time he was the starter.

Remember the threads/posts people made every time Foles fucked up and was like, "It would have been even worse with Trubisky!"

People just need to hold Nagy and Pace accountable. Forget the QBs, and how shit they are. We're not in this position because of any players. We're in this position because of the dumb shits in charge.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
View attachment 8541
I know this is a still shot, but I am confused. I am having a hard time wrapping my brain around the fact that all of the Bears offensive lineman have shuffled back between 4 and 7 yards from the line of scrimmage , the Viking DE is 9 yards deep to the LOS, yet not one WR/TE has even made it 5 yards up field and Patterson is stil l3 yards behind the line though they all seem to be running at top speed. What is happening here?

This is a really great and maddening point.

I'd LOVE to hear Nagy explain this. Won't happen though because:
1) He won't ever throw his OL under the bus nor question the effort of his players
2) He won't ever admit the complexity contrasts common sense & sets up this play for disaster by design
3) He won't ever admit that he wasn't / isn't even aware of #2
4) He won't ever have a media person ask a hard-hitting question

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
totally brutal. Nick been doing this at a higher rate than Mitchell had.

They're idiots, that shit pisses me off and yet they'll still will believe it's Miller's fault. it was clear AF that Nick overthrew the ball, ESPN replayed it 3 times with two different angles.

Well, there IS a significant portion of the US who don't believe in science, but follow conspiracy theories about fraud contrary to the entire Internet and all provable facts, sources, & logic so...

Rob219_CBMB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Well, there IS a significant portion of the US who don't believe in science, but follow conspiracy theories about fraud contrary to the entire Internet and all provable facts, sources, & logic so...
i plan on speaking with proof now, but that won't shut them up.