Week 11: The Gimmick Bowl

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
Chicago (4-5) at L.A. Rams (5-4)
8:20 p.m. ET (NBC)
Point spread:
Rams, -6.5

Sean McVay has only been an NFL head coach for two and a half years, and guys, I have to say it, I think he might already be out of offensive ideas, because he was definitely scraping the bottom of the barrel during the Rams loss to the Steelers on Sunday.

If you somehow missed it, here's a quick refresher of a few things that McVay decided to do during the second half of the game in Pittsburgh: For one, he PURPOSELY let Blake Bortles play quarterback on a key play during third quarter, which makes no sense. I mean the Jaguars purposely let Bortles play quarterback for five straight years and we all saw how that went. Putting in Bortles for Jared Goff is like dumping your supermodel girlfriend so you can date Honey Boo Boo's mom (Sorry guys, I was watching a TLC marathon over the weekend. I'm not proud of it).

Not only did McVay let Bortles play quarterback, but he also let his PUNTER play quarterback. HIS PUNTER! In what will almost certainly go down as one of the top-three worse fake punts of all-time, McVay had Johnny Hekker motion from punt formation into SHOTGUN formation on a fourth-and-1 play against the Steelers. Not only did the Rams fail to convert on the play, but Hekker threw an interception.

Imagine getting a $134 million contract like Jared Goff did during the offseason and then your coach takes you off the field for Blake Bortles and then takes you off the field again so your punter can throw an interception in a pivotal situation. Nothing says "I don't trust my $134 million quarterback" more than replacing him with a guy who got cut by the Jaguars and a guy who kicks for a living. As if all of this wasn't weird enough, Todd Gurley didn't touch the ball a single time during the fourth quarter against the Steelers. Seriously, I have no idea what McVay is doing anymore.

Ironically, the only coach in the NFL who trusts his quarterback less than McVay is Matt Nagy, who I'm pretty sure wishes he had any quarterback other than the one he has. Although Mitchell Trubisky has been bad over the past year, I did learn a fascinating thing about him this week: He hasn't been as bad as Goff.

I think the moral of the story here is that I don't trust either of these quarterbacks, but right now, I trust Goff less.

The pick: Bears 16-13 over Rams

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...nday-night-browns-and-steelers-play-thriller/

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
Which OL has the best chance to hold up against Donald/Mack.

The answer is Rams.

Rams win.
I think most of their backups are starting this week...

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
The main consistent theme for both teams is that their OL is limiting their ability to execute.

Bears have been bad, but I'd argue that the Rams have been worse.

Rob219_CBMB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
so they're saying Bears have a chance?

dweebs19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hard to believe this Rams team was in the Superbowl. Could have been the Bears.

abegibronlives

Liked Posts:
Chicago (4-5) at L.A. Rams (5-4)
8:20 p.m. ET (NBC)
Point spread:
Rams, -6.5

Sean McVay has only been an NFL head coach for two and a half years, and guys, I have to say it, I think he might already be out of offensive ideas, because he was definitely scraping the bottom of the barrel during the Rams loss to the Steelers on Sunday.

If you somehow missed it, here's a quick refresher of a few things that McVay decided to do during the second half of the game in Pittsburgh: For one, he PURPOSELY let Blake Bortles play quarterback on a key play during third quarter, which makes no sense. I mean the Jaguars purposely let Bortles play quarterback for five straight years and we all saw how that went. Putting in Bortles for Jared Goff is like dumping your supermodel girlfriend so you can date Honey Boo Boo's mom (Sorry guys, I was watching a TLC marathon over the weekend. I'm not proud of it).

Not only did McVay let Bortles play quarterback, but he also let his PUNTER play quarterback. HIS PUNTER! In what will almost certainly go down as one of the top-three worse fake punts of all-time, McVay had Johnny Hekker motion from punt formation into SHOTGUN formation on a fourth-and-1 play against the Steelers. Not only did the Rams fail to convert on the play, but Hekker threw an interception.

Imagine getting a $134 million contract like Jared Goff did during the offseason and then your coach takes you off the field for Blake Bortles and then takes you off the field again so your punter can throw an interception in a pivotal situation. Nothing says "I don't trust my $134 million quarterback" more than replacing him with a guy who got cut by the Jaguars and a guy who kicks for a living. As if all of this wasn't weird enough, Todd Gurley didn't touch the ball a single time during the fourth quarter against the Steelers. Seriously, I have no idea what McVay is doing anymore.

Ironically, the only coach in the NFL who trusts his quarterback less than McVay is Matt Nagy, who I'm pretty sure wishes he had any quarterback other than the one he has. Although Mitchell Trubisky has been bad over the past year, I did learn a fascinating thing about him this week: He hasn't been as bad as Goff.

I think the moral of the story here is that I don't trust either of these quarterbacks, but right now, I trust Goff less.

The pick: Bears 16-13 over Rams

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...nday-night-browns-and-steelers-play-thriller/

Is this going to be one of those 9 to 6 games, with more punts than first downs?

Yawn.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
The Training Wheels Bowl

Both QBs need everything around them to be perfect to be successful, the only difference is one of the teams paid their guy 30 million a season, the other hasn't made that mistake yet.

My greatest fear. He has a couple more "breakout" games against shit teams but still doesn't actually BREAK OUT and it's enough to convince morons up top that they can make a down payment on potential that is yet realized.

Icculus

The Great and Knowledgeable
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Army Black Knights
My greatest fear. He has a couple more "breakout" games against shit teams but still doesn't actually BREAK OUT and it's enough to convince morons up top that they can make a down payment on potential that is yet realized.

AKA The Jay Cutler Effect as the post above mine referenced.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
Arena League Playbook Bowl

I Don’t Know How To Use A RB Bowl

I Blew My Load In 2018 Bowl