Week 2 film review: OFFENSE

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
***I’m still having a lot of problems with posting GIF’s on the site, I started posting direct links to MP4 clips of the GIFs. Before I go any further, please let me know if the GIFs and the links to MP4s are working.***

1ST QUARTER

As the offensive coordinator of the KC Chiefs, with Alex Smith as his QB, Matt Nagy ran a short or shot offense. If you went zone, the Chiefs would kill you on the underneath routes and on YAC. And the moment you went man to try to cut off some of those short routes, KC would go deep for the killshot. This made things very easy for the QB because it eliminated the intermediate throws that had to be made in between safeties and linebackers.

With the Bears, that philosophy came to a screeching halt in 2019. The short routes weren’t getting enough YAC, whether it be because of ball placement or ball carrier. There was no threat of the run. Teams could stay in zone coverage all game, and the Bears could not do anything to change that. There were no real adjustments made as the Bears just kept taking what the zone defenses were giving them underneath for minimal gains.

This season there is a new plan of attack from Matt Nagy. It’s a two pronged approach; make teams have to respect the run game (thereby forcing more 1 high safety looks) and attack the actual zone itself.

The very first pass play of the game is on 3rd down. The Giants show a 1 high safety look presnap...

NCccmbt_d.jpg

Post snap the coverage morphs into a cover 2 zone with the initial deep safety coming down into robber coverage...

Mm2HlaZ_d.jpg

There are 8 defensive backs on the field. The target on this play is Allen Robinson. If the ball is not thrown at a high enough trajectory, it’s intercepted by the underneath DB. If it’s thrown a tad too high, it’s intercepted by the deep safety. If the ball leads Robinson a tad to far, it’s intercepted by the robber safety...

N0e8UZG_d.jpg

This is a throw that’s rarely attempted in 2019. Yet it’s brazenly throw on the first pass of this game. Definitely a statement throw...

***MP4 CLIP LINK***

giphy.gif

This is the literal definition of a tight window throw...

***MP4 CLIP LINK***

giphy.gif

On the downside, it seemed on a few occasions that Trubisky decided where to go with the football presnap without a plan b. Here Trubisky is trying to get the ball to Allen Robinson. But as Robinson tries to cross into the middle of the field, he runs straight into the middle linebacker. With Robinson slowed, Trubisky ate the football and took the sack...

***MP4 CLIP LINK***

This type of ball placement is a YAC killer...

***MP4 CLIP LINK***

giphy.gif

Here we have a 3 x 1 wr formation. Montgomery is the lone receiver on the wide side of the field. Trubisky motions Montgomery back into the backfield. The DB follows him back inside. This confirms to Trubisky that this is man coverage and now he knows the corner route to Miller is available as a straight 1 on 1, therefore he audibles into a new play...

uJAwGe0_d.jpg

At the snap, Allen Robinson positions himself in a pick position in order to slow down the defender covering Miller. The CB recovers in time to meet Miller in the end zone, but he has no time to turn his head around to look for the football. This should have been a touchdown...

***MP4 CLIP LINK***

UnawareFrenchGallinule-size_restricted.gif

***MP4 CLIP #2 LINK***

The DB charges in here to basically create an 8 man box...

rnqkSbo_d.jpg

Yet Montgomery still churns out an 8 yard gain...

***MP4 CLIP LINK***

Trubisky yet again beats a zone coverage here. It’s a cover 2 zone again, only this time both safeties initially stay on the wide side of the field because Jimmy Graham is the only target split out on the short side. This gives Trubisky the window he needs towards the sideline. Trubisky’s eyes and the threat of Cohen keep the underneath DB from sinking back and cutting off the window to Graham...

***MP4 CLIP LINK***

***MP4 CLIP #2 LINK***

Last edited:

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
THE REST

Just take a look at what Ifedi does to Leonard Williams on this play...

DzkGSl9_d.jpg

***MP4 CLIP LINK***

Here are the benefits of having an actual running threat. All linebackers are sucked in, leaving the middle completely open for Robinson...

***MP4 CLIP LINK***

Trubisky to Mooney against a Tampa 2 zone coverage look...

***MP4 CLIP LINK***

It’s hard to critique a play that gained 12 yards for a first down, but this is another example of Trubisky predetermining his read too early. I get his thinking here, he’s going to look off Allen Robinson to move the coverage and get it to his rookie Kmet.

But as circumstances change, you have to change with them. Right before the snap, Robinson motions inside right behind Mooney. This causes the CB to make a critical error post snap by overcompensating to the inside...

d4oYOlA_d.jpg

At the top of Robinson’s route, you see the CB with his back to the sideline. He’s only in a position to either go deeper or cut inside. He is in no position to cover Robinson to the sideline. Trubisky is looking that way, but Trubisky doesn’t see it because his mind is already made up and he is just looking in that direction to freeze the defense...

wdr2PM7_d.jpg

***MP4 CLIP LINK***

***MP4 CLIP #2 LINK***

Trubisky to Wims into an 8 man zone defense on 3rd and 7...

***MP4 CLIP LINK***

The best part of the 15 yard TD to Mooney was the way Mooney sold the play. He waited until the last possible moment to make a play on the ball, which kept the CB completely in the dark...

***MP4 CLIP LINK***

Coming out in the 2nd half, the Giants went with a lot of 8 man boxes to stop the running game. The commitment to stopping the run worked for the most part, but it didn’t stop Nagy from staying with it...

***MP4 CLIP LINK***

Trubisky’s first INT came on the very next drive after missing a wide open Robinson, so judging by Robinson’s body language after that play I thought he got in Trubisky’s ear and that the INT was the result of Mitchell trying to make it up to him. But listening to the radio briefly today, I heard Nagy blaming Anthony Miller for falling down on the play as the primary read. Robinson was the secondary read, and Nagy said that Mooney was out there too but not really an option. Dismal day overall for Miller.

So this obviously put Trubisky in a difficult position. After Miller flops over his own feet what looks like (allowing the defender to easily shove him to the ground), it was either get it to Robinson or run out of a clean pocket. When the ball is snapped, Trubisky’s eyes are set on Miller. After he falls over, Trubisky has to reset and locate the deep safety again. This hesitation causes the throw to Robinson to be late...

***MP4 CLIP LINK***

This is a really nice subtle move by Trubisky to buy time for Montgomery’s route against a charging LB on 3rd and short...

***MP4 CLIP LINK***

Gotta love this right here, lol...

WWK3IpR_d.jpg

***MP4 CLIP LINK***

Trubisky’s second INT was another tough one because this is the type of play that got Allen Robinson his first big NFL contract. He was well known for these types of catches in Jacksonville...

***MP4 CLIP LINK***

Whitehair wipes out the LB...

***MP4 CLIP LINK***

Daniels wipes out the LB, Leno seals the backside...

***MP4 CLIP LINK***

Weird game overall. Seemed like there were a lot of positives but no points. Some good and bad from Trubisky. Run game didn’t always work but Nagy didn’t abandon it. I thought the pass protection was really good. I still have yet to see Trubisky run out of the pocket prematurely, something he was doing regularly last season. This means he actually trusts his line.

Last edited:

Bears Backer 54

Liked Posts:
GIFs both embedded and linked are working for me. It definitely seems like some of the tighter window throws have had some success in games 1 and 2 which has definitely helped. The theory of Nagy waiting for them to show man defense to take a shot deep also makes sense because it feels like the Bears need to hit something deep periodically to keep the offense rolling (living off short passes and YAC) but once a defense goes zone and plays those short routes, the offense ends up looking like 2019 all over again.

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Yeah these gifs are working much better then last weeks were.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Bears have the least seperation out of any receiver group in the NFL and Trubisky has the highest aggressiveness out of the QBs that have started 2 games...

Trubisky has had some seriously tight windows to have to throw into.

Graham, Miller and Robinson are all in the bottom six of seperation.....

Miller and Robinson are in the top half of the league in targetted air yards, so Trubisky is having to throw deep into tight coverage.

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
The Bears have the least seperation out of any receiver group in the NFL and Trubisky has the highest aggressiveness out of the QBs that have started 2 games...

Miller and Robinson are in the top half of the league in targetted air yards, so Trubisky is having to throw deep into tight coverage.

which is why IMO they are getting mooney on the field more, as peyton manning showed the other day the kid gets way the hell open.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
which is why IMO they are getting mooney on the field more, as peyton manning showed the other day the kid gets way the hell open.

He has by far gotten to most seperation out of the receivers, and I agree they want him on the field because of it. He also has the ability to win one on one contests for the ball.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

I think Pace needs to move on from Robinson. Hopefully he can get a decent amount of draft capital in return

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think Pace needs to move on from Robinson. Hopefully he can get a decent amount of draft capital in return

no....he's a very good receiver. Letting him go now will not help the team.....I think they need to re-sign him at the right price.

CHIBEAR

Liked Posts:

He creates the majority of those tight windows himself with his inaccuracy . How many of those 64 attempts are BEHIND or above the the receiver ? You guys are misusing these stats.

94c4lt1

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

LMAO @ Jimmy Graham being dead last with 1 yard of separation. SMH

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Mitch is forcing a few too many but I like him much better this year, The things he's doing could lead to improved play. Progressions with aggression. Not yet sold on all of his choices but I see better trajectories and more air yards.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
LMAO @ Jimmy Graham being dead last with 1 yard of separation. SMH
Haven't looked at the #s but I'd bet Mooney gets the most.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Just looked it up. 3.15 ☺