Week 3 Film Review: Offense

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Let’s just get right into it here and briefly go over some plays that stood out on offense so that I can also go over some of the defense.

First of all, Matt Nagy went back to the same gameplan he used against the Lions the first time they met in 2018...

WEEK 10 Film Review

The offense basically ran up to the line of scrimmage ASAP so that Nagy could call the audibles in Trubisky’s ear based off of the defensive alignment.

1ST QUARTER

There was some good and some bad on the 1st drive of the game. Burton had a rough week 2 as far as blocking goes, but he puts together a nice block here on the end around...

zrgZNX.gif

Read option that Trubisky obviously should have kept. The rusher completely sold out on Cohen...

MhW3ap.gif

This was an inaccurate pass that Arob made a great adjustment on, but it wasn’t self inflicted on Trubisky’s part. It looks like Kyle Long impedes Trubisky’s throwing lane, forcing him to throw it further towards the sideline...

hDUXLm.gif

Nagy was probably kicking himself after this play. Arob is left completely open. No Washington defender covers him at any point in the entirety of the play. It’s like he was completely invisible to the defense...

Yq1iFWy.jpg

0h17Ob.gif

This was a play action pass, so Trubisky didn’t have the luxury of keeping his eyes on the field as he backed up in his drop. When he did turn to the field, he made an immediate adjustment to the pressure coming up the middle via the inside of the right tackle. Then the DT beats Long and Trubisky checks it down. Did Trubisky cut this play short too quickly for the checkdown ? Well, this was an 8 man protection with a 3 route concepts (2 of them being deep). Trubisky is supposed to have plenty of time on this play...

RLO3SC.gif

Good play design causes more confusion for the Redskins, leaving Arob wide open again. Difficulty throw rolling to your left. Ball was high but it led Arob nicely up the sideline...

DQAub5.gif

Great play by Landon Collins in the open field...

oYGkzY.gif

Still the same play, but watch both Whitehair and Daniels. Neither of the interior defensive linemen bought that play fake for a second. Between this and the read option play, the Bears offense may be tipping its hand in some way...

wqMDcm.gif

On 3rd and 9, Trubisky probably should have stepped up into the pocket rather than backwards and into a sack. This is what’s known as the Baker Mayfield special...

Dzc405.gif

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
2ND QUARTER

Bearfanuk

Liked Posts:
On that wide open A-Rob you can see why Mitch didn't throw it. The Linebacker/Safety start backing up. Mitch in that moment thinks they are moving back with A-Rob and the throwing lane just isn't there so he moves progressions. The moment mitch moves his eyes the defender follows leaving A-Rob wide open. Correctable and if he was afforded just a fraction more time he maybe could have seen that

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
I can't believe how much worse James Daniels looks at his natural position this year.
Right? He held his own against Aaron Donald for the most part last year, now he can't hold a block to save his life. All of Heistands players have gotten worse, and they're committing more penalties.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Mediocre start for Mitch. Hard to know how a pocket or options develop with different choices sometimes but it did look like those reads could have been better. Those are the sort of things I see all over the league. What I do want to see is better timing and accuracy early in games.

I'm a little unhappy about Nagy back to calling adjustments as that's a hunderence in this O as opposed to the simpler system that LA uses but I guess nobody is saying Goff sucks due to it. It really looks like Mitch may not be the right guy to run a complex multi read O but some guys just take a long time for the bulb to light up if they stay in a system. How long can you wait if he's not also being on time and on target? Certainly this year and probably a few next if it hasn't happened yet but at that point, you better have someone in the wings.

I still think Mitch could be VG in an O like LA runs but that has little to do with what's actually happening here. I also think this O works a lot less well when the coach is calling the adjustments. Better than Mitch getting it wrong but the QB has to be on top of that for this O to become what it could. D's have obviously adjusted to us. Hopefully Nagy is just giving Mitch some live training on how to adjust and will be able to step aside again in the near future.

It gets better later in this game but the 1st qrt was meh.

Last edited:

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Right? He held his own against Aaron Donald for the most part last year, now he can't hold a block to save his life. All of Heistands players have gotten worse, and they're committing more penalties.

Yep. Heistand hasn't earned his paycheck. Real surprising considering how well he did at ND

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The OL is bad. I have no idea what happened to them.

Kyle Long is unplayable bad at this point.

Other than the play where he backed out of the pocket into the sack I thought he made the right decisions based on the week ass protection.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Can we get the endzone view of the interception? I want to see how badly Long got dumped into his lap.

They have screwed us in Canada when it comes to game pass and we can no longer get the endzone view.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
@Adipost Kyle Long killed this play before Mitch finished his drop back with that obvious hands to the face... All of the WR's gave up on their routes due to the whistle/flag. Again, shit OL play.
Dzc405.gif

[/QUOTE]

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
On that wide open A-Rob you can see why Mitch didn't throw it. The Linebacker/Safety start backing up. Mitch in that moment thinks they are moving back with A-Rob and the throwing lane just isn't there so he moves progressions. The moment mitch moves his eyes the defender follows leaving A-Rob wide open. Correctable and if he was afforded just a fraction more time he maybe could have seen that

If you look at the all 22 he had the entire deep third available. But given the terrible blocking from both the RT and Long (I actually have a bit of sympathy for Long here because the RT almost sets a pick against him as the DT stunts around the DE, still a bad play in a terrible game from Long though), I think Bears were lucky this didn't end in a sack or throw away. A great QB makes the throw immediately to Arob, but a good QB is happy to just not get sacked. That one is for sure on the OL.

Spankypants

Liked Posts:
Ugh, that looked like screen pass blocking, but it wasn't. Monty flared out to the left flat as the outlet and didn't have a defender within 10 yards of him.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
@Adipost Kyle Long killed this play before Mitch finished his drop back with that obvious hands to the face... All of the WR's gave up on their routes due to the whistle/flag. Again, shit OL play.
Dzc405.gif
[/QUOTE]
Ummmm prettly sure they don't whistle the play on that type of penalty. There's no way the WRs would stop because of a flag being thrown. That would be dumb. They have no idea what the flag is for.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
Ummmm prettly sure they don't whistle the play on that type of penalty. There's no way the WRs would stop because of a flag being thrown. That would be dumb. They have no idea what the flag is for.
[/QUOTE]
I didn't think so either, but the guy in the middle isn't even looking behind him. Can't really tell on the rest

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Nagy better. Trubisky better. Oline LOL.

And as much as I want Montgomery to run the ball, if we don't have a NFL caliber Oline, he's going to get stuffed on every run, and only gain yards due to sure will. That's very bad for a team that needs to establish the run. They need to sort this shit out, and 100% draft Kyle Long's replacement in the 2020 draft.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
Nagy better. Trubisky better. Oline LOL.

And as much as I want Montgomery to run the ball, if we don't have a NFL caliber Oline, he's going to get stuffed on every run, and only gain yards due to sure will. That's very bad for a team that needs to establish the run. They need to sort this shit out, and 100% draft Kyle Long's replacement in the 2020 draft.
Alex Bars to replace Long maybe?