Week 3 film review: OFFENSE

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
1ST HALF

The game starts with Ifedi absolutely mauling somebody. He’s done this every single game so far...

RXjHpx2_d.jpg

***CLIP***

Here was Ifedi against Leonard Williams last week, one of the top run stuffers in the league...

***CLIP***

Nagy started the game by getting Trubisky two nice and easy passes to the TE’s. On the third pass play of the game, Nagy takes a shot at a chunk play. It’s a play action pass to the left. The key to this play is getting the strong safety to bite up on the run fake with Robinson running a crossing route into the vacated area. Ginn clears the high safety deep...

oUCX4Io_d.jpg

Unfortunately, the strong safety did not get sucked in on the play fake so I have no idea where Trubisky is trying to throw this ball...

***CLIP***

This is a straight up 3 step drop play to Robinson for 5 yards...

***CLIP***

But Trubisky hesitates and takes an extra stutter step. This is the difference between YAC and no YAC...

***CLIP***

This is a pretty obvious 6 man blitz on 3rd down. With 6 potential rushers against 5 offensive linemen, the QB would normally signal his RB to stay in and block the sixth man. With no crowd noise, I assume Trubisky never made that call...

iTw7wcH_d.jpg

***CLIP***

It looks like Robinson may have been able to spring this play open but decided to make a career decision instead

A0DRJPt_d.jpg

***CLIP #1***

***CLIP #2***

Trubisky goes to the wrong guy on this third down play just before the end of the first quarter. The key here is that the deep safety actually comes in to double team Graham. This leaves Miller 1 on 1 on the post route with the middle of the field completely open. It’s a better shot than trying to get it to Cohen against the sideline...

m90dz0h_d.jpg

***CLIP***

This is an absolute rope to Mooney. Really nice pass from Trubisky...

***CLIP***

Pick play to free up Graham. Nice play design by Nagy...

***CLIP***

This is the play that probably sealed Trubisky’s fate. After this, it was only a matter of time. The Falcons again play with no deep safety but this time Trubisky does find Miller in the middle of the field. If you miss a lot of reads, you’d better at least make the throws...

***CLIP #1***

***CLIP #2***

Last edited:

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
AR acting like a NBA player saying, "they don't pay me to play defense".
At least run a route and try to get a bite on a fake if you're not going to stick your nose in there . . .

Visionman

Liked Posts:
AR acting like a NBA player saying, "they don't pay me to play defense".
At least run a route and try to get a bite on a fake if you're not going to stick your nose in there . . .
AR is by far the most reliable target we have. But the guy is simply playing soft.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
On the play with the stutter step description. The stutter brought the safety that much sooner in relation to the throw but man, did it take him off the deep route early. Imagine not worrying about the QB flinching you into a huge mistake.

On the play you describe as not making the protection call, it may have been called as played with a quick throw to defeat pressure and Mitch didn't need to worry about the wide rush getting there. If he was letting Monty go he should of known that he was free against the pressure and lobbed it over the rush to him. I don't mind that he didn't keep Monty in here nearly as much of not reading the play options based on the D alignment and where the free rusher was coming from. Pulling that off would have made this a very positive play and kept Atlanta more honest later as well. We wonder why Nagy doesn't call more slants but they never work. Somebody if giving them away and it's likely Mitch.

Mitch wasn't fixed but looked like he may be getting it the 1st 2 games. On Sunday, he looked like last year's confused Mitch against coverages that weren't that difficult even if they mixed it up some. It's a shame because his throws had much better trajectories this year even if he missed too many. You can tell that he works real hard trying to do this but how do you fix deer in headlights processing? Dude just always looks anxious. Rarely calm in the pocket.

I don't see how anyone could have had issue with the change when Nagy made it. I sure didn't want to see any more of Mitch that day. Really too bad because mitch actually improving would have been best for this team.

Though many here have buried mitch, it may not be over for him. Look familiar?

Last edited:

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
AR is by far the most reliable target we have. But the guy is simply playing soft.

As he probably should with no long term deal. He would be stupid to risk injury in his situation.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
On the play with the stutter step description. The stutter brought the safety that much sooner in relation to the throw but man, did it take him off the deep route early. Imagine not worrying about the QB flinching you into a huge mistake.

On the play you describe as not making the protection call, it may have been called as played with a quick throw to defeat pressure and Mitch didn't need to worry about the wide rush getting there. If he was letting Monty go he should of known that he was free against the pressure and lobbed it over the rush to him. I don't mind that he didn't keep Monty in here nearly as much of not reading the play options based on the D alignment and where the free rusher was coming from. Pulling that off would have made this a very positive play and kept Atlanta more honest later as well. We wonder why Nagy doesn't call more slants but they never work. Somebody if giving them away and it's likely Mitch.

Mitch wasn't fixed but looked like he may be getting it the 1st 2 games. On Sunday, he looked like last year's confused Mitch against coverages that weren't that difficult even if they mixed it up some. It's a shame because his throws had much better trajectories this year even if he missed too many. You can tell that he works real hard trying to do this but how do you fix deer in headlights processing? Dude just always looks anxious. Rarely calm in the pocket.

I don't see how anyone could have had issue with the change when Nagy made it. I sure didn't want to see any more of Mitch that day. Really too bad because mitch actually improving would have been best for this team.

Yeah if you going go let Monty leak out instead of block, you check ARob and if it is not open then you pivot and throw blind to Monty. Mahomes is really good at this because he has a complete understanding of where his guys are supposed to be.

wazzupi

Liked Posts:

Alex smith looked like a 5 year old playing Madden in 2005 what a bot

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
I am not an expert, but Trubisky appears to have a hitch in his throwing motion? I remember being in little league baseball, and when I was first learning to time the pitch, I had a hop in my stance. Trubisky does the same thing right before he lets the pass go, because he has not learned to calm his feet.

Not sure he will ever fix it, but maybe watching Foles will help him visualize calming down. We are likely going to need him again this season.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Adipost, I know you show us examples of the game break down that are vital for our discussions, but I want to thank you for the work that does not show up on the post. For all the stuff you present, I am certain there is a considerable amount of effort that goes unseen.

THANK YOU for your effort to give us something to think about!!

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

With lowered expectations he could definitely rebuild his career. He’s too emotional at present, so mistakes snowball on him.

ruprecht

Bills Board Hall of Famer
Donator
Liked Posts:
This content is why I voted him Best Poster one year