Week 4 film review: OFFENSE

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This one will be very quick due to the short week and the fact that there was actually no Bears offense to speak of. There is really just one main point I want to address here.

There are times in the NFL where you are just beaten by a great player. This is what happened to the Bears on Sunday. Deforest Buckner is playing out of his mind and completely dismantled the Bears interior offensive line. He pretty much shut down the entire Bears offense all on his own.

First of all, the way Buckner is playing currently, him 1 on 1 on anyone is a mismatch. First play of the game, Buckner gets immediate penetration with a bull rush on Whitehair to cut off Montgomery’s run path...

***CLIP***

During the first 3 games of the season, Ifedi has bullied and mauled defenders. But Deforest Buckner is a different animal. He sends Ifedi flying out of his way here...

***CLIP***

After that first series, the Bears tried like hell to neutralize him with double teams and they simply could not even nudge him. When you assign two interior lineman to specifically move one man, you have to be able to move him off his spot. The Bears could not move Buckner. This makes short yardage run plays virtually impossible. Here, Leno and Daniels double Buckner. Not only can they not move him, he ends up getting in on the tackle...

***CLIP***

The very next play, Buckner knows the Bears will not dare run at him again. So instead of just hold his gap, he shoots inside to completely cut off the middle of the field. His presence alone has made the offense even more predictable than it usually is...

***CLIP***

Not only did Buckner completely nix the Bears running attack, he was almost unstoppable against the pass as well. Here he quickly gets into Foles face, causing an overthrow on 3rd down...

***CLIP***

Again, Leno and Daniels double Buckner. They just cannot move him and neither can get off of him...

***CLIP***

Here Buckner easily gets by Daniels on a swim move and nearly cripples Foles. Leno saves this from being a sack by inadvertently tripping Buckner...

***CLIP***

Daniels has just no chance 1 on 1 against Buckner...

***CLIP***

Buckner bull rushes right through Whitehair and Leno again inadvertently slows him down...

***CLIP***

Again, Buckner bull rushes right through Daniels into Foles lap, causing him to throw this ball from his back foot...

***CLIP***

Run stopper, pass rusher, here Buckner almost picks off a screen pass. He knew this play was coming, that’s on Nagy...

***CLIP***

Buckner beats Daniels again, this is a QB hit from a 3 step drop...

***CLIP***

Buckner beats Whitehair on the swim move. Whitehair is a good center. But sometimes great players make plays. And when you’re being consistently bull rushed into your QB, you become susceptible to these types of counter moves...

***CLIP***

The Bears defense was terrible this past Sunday. But sometimes we as fans forget that there are other players on the field besides the Bears. Deforest Buckner had aboot as dominating performance as a defensive player could have. Sometimes you just have to tip your hat.

Because Buckner eliminated the run game, the Colts were able to run their cover 2 whenever they wanted. This took away the big plays and the play action pass. Where Foles was comfortable throwing in front of or behind the defense, he was now forced to throw in between coverages. To make matters worse, Buckner wrecked the pass protection as well.

Hopefully this was just a series of unfortunate events snowballing from a Khalil Mack 2018 type performance of Deforest Buckner. Otherwise, the Bears are in desperate trouble.

Last edited:

Payton!34

Liked Posts:
This is an amazing post! Thanks for the hard work!

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Whitehair has great hands and knows how to help out but he a little light in the anchor and why I thought center was his spot when drafted. Great hands, a little light and VG in combos. Looks like his snaps are finally acceptable. I was OK with trying Daniels at his college spot because of snaps but he's got the body for where he's at now and would look better without Leno next to him. Real happy with Ifedi so far.

This game would have probably gone better with Mitch and plays called to use his mobility once it was seen that your QB was a sitting duck. You know Buckner is special but that sort of dismantling wasn't going to be foreseen and you can't rotate QBs every week. Leno was as much at fault as anyone. When he doubles, he just pushes some instead of tryin to knock a guy off balance with any suddenness. Buckner is going to win his one on ones and he schooled Daniels this game. Learning experience for our young G.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
I thought overall Ifedi was the best lineman in the game - his anchor was great in pass pro. That said he went up against Buckner a lot less than the other two IOL.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
And here everyone was blaming Leno. The interior has been poor in general when it comes to pass blocking. Not just in this game but coming into it the interior had given up more pressure than Leno and Massie.

JesusHalasChrist

N.eg it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Donator
Liked Posts:
Thanks, Adi, but I'll pass. :cool:

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
This is why talent on the OL is important, because at some point, someone needs to slow down Buckner on their own.

Ej63090

Anti-Exultant Cruise Dire
Liked Posts:
Literally, any offense crumbles when you are getting consistent pressure and push back on the interior line.

Hence why that was operative #1 against Brady all of his career and why New England invested heavily in one of the best interior lines forever.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Terrible?
Assuming that was supposed to say offense.

Also, this isn't a review of the Bears offense as much it is a review of Buckner. To be fair, Buckner's awesome and I'd rather re-watch him over the Bears offense.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
Assuming that was supposed to say offense.

Also, this isn't a review of the Bears offense as much it is a review of Buckner. To be fair, Buckner's awesome and I'd rather re-watch him over the Bears offense.

ah ok makes sense and ya for sure. He's a one man wrecking crew.

Rob219_CBMB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
This one will be very quick due to the short week and the fact that there was actually no Bears offense to speak of. There is really just one main point I want to address here.

There are times in the NFL where you are just beaten by a great player. This is what happened to the Bears on Sunday. Deforest Buckner is playing out of his mind and completely dismantled the Bears interior offensive line. He pretty much shut down the entire Bears offense all on his own.

First of all, the way Buckner is playing currently, him 1 on 1 on anyone is a mismatch. First play of the game, Buckner gets immediate penetration with a bull rush on Whitehair to cut off Montgomery’s run path...

***CLIP***

During the first 3 games of the season, Ifedi has bullied and mauled defenders. But Deforest Buckner is a different animal. He sends Ifedi flying out of his way here...

***CLIP***

After that first series, the Bears tried like hell to neutralize him with double teams and they simply could not even nudge him. When you assign two interior lineman to specifically move one man, you have to be able to move him off his spot. The Bears could not move Buckner. This makes short yardage run plays virtually impossible. Here, Leno and Daniels double Buckner. Not only can they not move him, he ends up getting in on the tackle...

***CLIP***

The very next play, Buckner knows the Bears will not dare run at him again. So instead of just hold his gap, he shoots inside to completely cut off the middle of the field. His presence alone has made the offense even more predictable than it usually is...

***CLIP***

Not only did Buckner completely nix the Bears running attack, he was almost unstoppable against the pass as well. Here he quickly gets into Foles face, causing an overthrow on 3rd down...

***CLIP***

Again, Leno and Daniels double Buckner. They just cannot move him and neither can get off of him...

***CLIP***

Here Buckner easily gets by Daniels on a swim move and nearly cripples Foles. Leno saves this from being a sack by inadvertently tripping Buckner...

***CLIP***

***CLIP***

Buckner bull rushes right through Whitehair and Leno again inadvertently slows him down...

***CLIP***

Again, Buckner bull rushes right through Daniels into Foles lap, causing him to throw this ball from his back foot...

***CLIP***

Run stopper, pass rusher, here Buckner almost picks off a screen pass. He knew this play was coming, that’s on Nagy...

***CLIP***

***CLIP***

Buckner beats Whitehair on the swim move. Whitehair is a good center. But sometimes great players make plays. And when you’re being consistently bull rushed into your QB, you become susceptible to these types of counter moves...

***CLIP***

The Bears defense was terrible this past Sunday. But sometimes we as fans forget that there are other players on the field besides the Bears. Deforest Buckner had aboot as dominating performance as a defensive player could have. Sometimes you just have to tip your hat.

Because Buckner eliminated the run game, the Colts were able to run their cover 2 whenever they wanted. This took away the big plays and the play action pass. Where Foles was comfortable throwing in front of or behind the defense, he was now forced to throw in between coverages. To make matters worse, Buckner wrecked the pass protection as well.

Hopefully this was just a series of unfortunate events snowballing from a Khalil Mack 2018 type performance of Deforest Buckner. Otherwise, the Bears are in desperate trouble.
Too bad you didn't say anything about MILLER.
If anyone here ever bother to rewatch tape, watch Miller, two so called drops plays aren't drops on Miller. 1st one it the same as A-Rob's hit and incompletion. People blowing their sack for no reasons.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

V27sBoL.gif

All I did was yank the gifs off your links and replace the links with gifs hosted on IMGUR.

EDIT: And it still doesn't work.

@zack54attack is there some limitation with CCS on image hosting per post?

This is just odd.... all of @Adipost's gifs used to work fine for these breakdowns.

Last edited:

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
Can someone start accumulating the nagy gadget plays to compile a season long list of fails and successes?

Rob219_CBMB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
All I did was yank the gifs off your links and replace the links with gifs hosted on IMGUR.

EDIT: And it still doesn't work.

@zack54attack is there some limitation with CCS on image hosting per post?

This is just odd.... all of @Adipost's gifs used to work fine for these breakdowns.
If @zack54attack can, i hope they allow us to host our own bears related gifs here on this site, the server must be strong enough to handle it, and as long as we follow the rules of media sharing. Otherwise, I hope @Adipost figures out the gif displaying properly on CCS, I've done tried to help him. Giphy.com should work but the site Adi uses has Adi refusing to switch it to gif or even bother to rewrite the address from ".mp4" to ".gif".

Can someone start accumulating the nagy gadget plays to compile a season long list of fails and successes?
It's in the negative for sure. No doubt about it.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If @zack54attack can, i hope they allow us to host our own bears related gifs here on this site, the server must be strong enough to handle it, and as long as we follow the rules of media sharing. Otherwise, I hope @Adipost figures out the gif displaying properly on CCS, I've done tried to help him. Giphy.com should work but the site Adi uses has Adi refusing to switch it to gif or even bother to rewrite the address from ".mp4" to ".gif".

It's in the negative for sure. No doubt about it.

I thought it was the hosting, but I put all 13 of his gifs on IMGUR and edited his OP to use the gif links off IMGUR and it still won't display them.

I don't think it is IMGUR or MakeAGif, it is something with CCS itself not allowing either the number of gifs or the size of gifs or some combo of additional factors.

I had this happen actually with one gif I tried to post off IMGUR, so it makes me wonder if the CCS software is now limiting gifs or perhaps just had a setting revert on an update.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
@Ares @Rob219_CBMB The gifs have to be uploaded through a responsive site that Xenforo allows. Let me look into the media settings on it.

The file size shouldn't be an issue unless they are mp4 or mov... Gifs really aren't that big of file sizes and I upped the allowed size last month.

Rob219_CBMB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
I thought it was the hosting, but I put all 13 of his gifs on IMGUR and edited his OP to use the gif links off IMGUR and it still won't display them.

I don't think it is IMGUR or MakeAGif, it is something with CCS itself not allowing either the number of gifs or the size of gifs or some combo of additional factors.

I had this happen actually with one gif I tried to post off IMGUR, so it makes me wonder if the CCS software is now limiting gifs or perhaps just had a setting revert on an update.
try clicking the gif on the gif's uploading site..click on the gif or inside of the gif, it should open a new window (or tab in my case) for it to just show the gif only and nothing else like as if it's a blank page almost, this is the direct address to the gif.
Right click gif and copy that address as it should end with a ".gif" and then come back here, and you should click the insert image button here on this site and paste the address into the box and check it with preview, sometimes it'll show up, if it doesn't try refreshing the thread's page but save your work first, it takes practice to do that too, not all gif sites works here and it's a bitch sometimes, so if that don't work, try to edit post and then try the media button and add the link. imgur.com works with the media button on here and gifhy works with the image button on this site.

It would be a lot easier if we could just upload our own gif straight from our own computers instead of some other websites.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
try clicking the gif on the gif's uploading site..click on the gif or inside of the gif, it should open a new window (or tab in my case) for it to just show the gif only and nothing else like as if it's a blank page almost, this is the direct address to the gif.
Right click gif and copy that address as it should end with a ".gif" and then come back here, and you should click the insert image button here on this site and paste the address into the box and check it with preview, sometimes it'll show up, if it doesn't try refreshing the thread's page but save your work first, it takes practice to do that too, not all gif sites works here and it's a bitch sometimes, so if that don't work, try to edit post and then try the media button and add the link. imgur.com works with the media button on here and gifhy works with the image button on this site.

It would be a lot easier if we could just upload our own gif straight from our own computers instead of some other websites.

Yeah, I know all of that.... I think we're on the same level on that front.

When I use the IMGUR gif links, they show fine in my post window, but won't work once posted.

1602183345289.png

This is a screenshot of me editing my post.... it plays all the gifs just fine.

But once you see the actual post...

1602183403270.png