Week 4 Film Review

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
1ST HALF

The play in which Trubisky injured himself on reminded me a lot of the play in the playoff game I highlighted where Trubisky had Braunecker coming open deep but couldn’t pull the trigger. The difference is that this current play was much easier, as the playoff game play would have made Trubisky take a pretty big hit to make the play...

WILDCARD FILM REVIEW PART 1: OFFENSE

In this particular play, there was no impending hit coming, the pocket was still in relatively good shape. He’s got Miller who is aboot to come open over the top, and the deep safety Smith is out of position...

VpBIRod.jpg

A8QWQT.gif

But Trubisky didn’t pull the trigger for whatever reason. Instead, he bailed out of the pocket and right into pressure...

W0_oqK.gif

Sometimes on these power running plays you just have to pick a lane and hit it hard. Dancing around will turn a 3-4 yard gain into a 0-1 yard gain...

wJAFDq.gif

On this play, Chase Daniel identifies Harrison Smith barreling downhill and knows he can’t throw this ball out in front of Shaheen, rather right at him. But Shaheen doesn’t stop the route, so the ball arrives well behind him. Just an incredible adjustment by Shaheen...

MfcBDS.gif

Really nice play design here. Daniel pump fakes to Cohen on the screen, which carries the CB and the S to him and leaving Arob open...

v5HfqE.gif

I loved what Daniel did in the pocket. Danielle Hunter beats Massie immediately and badly on this play. Massie can’t even slow Hunter down much. But Daniel buys time by sliding to his left as he waits for Arob’s route to develop. That is the difference between a strip sack and a big time 25 yard play...

4LDgQS.gif

Cohen is such a weapon in the passing game because of how quickly he can get into his route from the backfield...

XPc0Lk.gif

In the Washington game there were a number of plays where a WR was rather obviously open but the Bears pass rush (combined with bad QB) bailed out the secondary. The same was the case in this game. First Vikings offensive play has Eddie Jackson getting caught too close to the LOS, leaving the TE open on the post route in the middle of the field...

sYk4pl.gif

But Kirk Cousins is a very bad qb. He goes through 1 progression before getting completely spooked by a falling Goldman 2 yards in front of him and dropping his eyes...

RpqfIU.gif

This is a play I would expect from the Bears offense. The TE motion across the field and trips the LT right into Cook’s path...

vNVS69.gif

Blocking Goldman 1 on 1 in the run game is not a good idea...

L3DoS0.gif

This is a 3 step drop and pressure still gets to Cousins...

I21JT4.gif

Nick Williams lays out to clog the hole...

UOm1uA.gif

Thielen beats Fuller deep but Cousins overthrows him. I’m not sure what HHCD was doing on this play. The Bears had 3 safeties out there on this play and still got beat deep...

Jw5euD.gif

Montgomery looks like a guy who needs defenders around him to bounce off of. When he has open space, it’s as though he doesn’t know what to do with himself. Rather just hitting the hole here, he’s still running side to side...

fO3GuJ.gif

Harrison Smith comes in on the blitz, and Daniel simply throws into it...

rPRDdl.gif

Nice poise in the pocket shown by Daniel here. He has to hold this ball for a long time, but he doesn’t panic. Finally gets off an accurate pass with Hunter in his face...

w9L9Rq.gif

Everson Griffen beats Leno on this play. Again, Daniel subtly slides away from the pressure and releases on time...

qZia92.gif

This is just a brutal miss by Daniel on third down...

3CDas5.gif

It almost looks like Trevathan baits Dalvin Cook on this play...

ocgLYG.gif

Fuller probably saves a big gainer here. Dalvin Cook’s fluidity and burst are pretty remarkable...

tvM-GN.gif

RRH made this look way too easy. This was a synchronized move between Goldman and RRH. Goldman threatened to the right initially to keep the center from helping the LG with RRH...

Ihw9kW.gif

Nick Williams takes on a double team here and dude never stops working. Meanwhile, Dalvin Cook weaves around both Eddie Jackson and Trevathan only to be brought down by, you guessed it, Nick Williams...

QtwUS5.gif

Kwiatkowski was out there dropping people, just laying waste to the Vikings offense...

xmSeZq.gif

Here Nick Williams just throws the center out of his way...

JXsocY.gif

Chase Daniel had Anthony Miller open here in the middle of the field but chose to dump it off. But it’s probably for the best that he doesn’t attack the deep middle with his arm strength...

D6vqc9.gif

Daniel kind of locks up on this play. If you’re going to hit Arob here, you gotta throw it to him at the break in his route...

iPd2e-.gif

Daniel misses the window, but he continues staring down Arob determined to fit it in there somewhere. He completes the pass, but only after Massie saves his life at the very last moment...

KpmXwZ.gif

This was such a crucial 3rd down. You convert and you are almost within field goal range and can kill the clock into the half. You don’t, and the Vikings get it back with plenty of time before the half.

This play was made on the back of great pass protection. This was 3rd and long, so every rusher had 1 thing in mind. Yet Daniel was able to hold this ball for over 4 seconds, until Montgomery crossed his vision. It kinda looks like Whitehair gets knocked out cold at the end of the play there, lol...

S-0Gec.gif

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Is it just me or is Daniels much more calm in the pocket?

Is this even something that can be taught, I have a sneaky suspicion Trubisky might not ever fix that part of his game.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:

Is this even something that can be taught, I have a sneaky suspicion Trubisky might not ever fix that part of his game.
He's way more calm in the pocket and he actually does go through his progressions. That play were Turbisky gets injured is pretty damning in that he didn't throw it to Miller. He was clearly looking that direction and had a clean pocket and still didn't pull the trigger. WTF. The guy's brain is locked up.

Novak

Mod in Training/Fire Forum
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
O line has been rough (obviously) but Monty isn't taking what he can get when he can get it, and that's why he's being outperformed by our ex-GF Howard on the season.

Novak

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Other than not letting the ball go before the scramble, I think you're too critical of the play Mitch got injured on. He did avoid the impending rusher. He got tackled because Massie didn't hold his block and let his guy go. Otherwise, Mitch would have either run OB without being touched or been free to toss it.

I get that Mitch didn't start that strong this game either but he is also getting a bit of a jaundiced eye of late. Of course he doesn't deserve much benefit of doubt at this point and his value is a bit unorthodox but he's clearly still our best option.

I know we all wonder if it will ever slow down for him. It's like he needs ritalin or adderall. I don't think he's the sharpest pencil in the box but he's also not an idiot.

Agreed on Monty but I suspect he'll adjust to the speed and strength of the NFL.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Very much so and even more so than last year. Looks like Daniel knows where everyone should be and sees the D well before the snap.

Novak

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Agreed on Monty but I suspect he'll adjust to the speed and strength of the NFL.
Is there something that makes you suspect this? Just curious what's helped you reach this conclusion.

Here's to hoping

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Some of the DM examples you show dont look like good running lanes to me. O line was trash run blocking IMO.
So lower your head and push for a couple.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Some of the DM examples you show dont look like good running lanes to me. O line was trash run blocking IMO.
Garbage run blocking and no threat of a passing offense. We’re gonna have the same issue every week. Make Chase/Mitch beat you.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
Other than not letting the ball go before the scramble, I think you're too critical of the play Mitch got injured on. He did avoid the impending rusher. He got tackled because Massie didn't hold his block and let his guy go. Otherwise, Mitch would have either run OB without being touched or been free to toss it.

I get that Mitch didn't start that strong this game either but he is also getting a bit of a jaundiced eye of late. Of course he doesn't deserve much benefit of doubt at this point and his value is a bit unorthodox but he's clearly still our best option.

I know we all wonder if it will ever slow down for him. It's like he needs ritalin or adderall. I don't think he's the sharpest pencil in the box but he's also not an idiot.

Other than not reading the play correctly, you mean??

Also lol at criticizing Massie, OT are supposed to ride the DE wide of the pocket, not every block has to be a stonewall.

If Mitch stays in the pocket like he’s supposed to, the DE is completely out of the play. Massie did his job.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Other than not reading the play correctly, you mean??

Also lol at criticizing Massie, OT are supposed to ride the DE wide of the pocket, not every block has to be a stonewall.

If Mitch stays in the pocket like he’s supposed to, the DE is completely out of the play. Massie did his job.
I said exactly what I meant 'other than not letting the ball go before the scramble'. I was also not being that critical of Massie but did correctly point out that he let the man that injured Mitch go. The line that defender took to get Mitch was a great anticipatory play but he doesn't get there if Massie give one more push.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
I said exactly what I meant 'other than not letting the ball go before the scramble'. I was also not being that critical of Massie but did correctly point out that he let the man that injured Mitch go. The line that defender took to get Mitch was a great anticipatory play but he doesn't get there if Massie give one more push.
So you meant “other than by far the most important aspect of the play” then?

The way you described it minimizes how important that error was on Mitch’s part.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Is there something that makes you suspect this? Just curious what's helped you reach this conclusion.

Here's to hoping
Guys tend to learn. Of course Cohen still runs sideways so...

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
So you meant “other than by far the most important aspect of the play” then?

The way you described it minimizes how important that error was on Mitch’s part.
Piss off.

Do we know if that was a go route or if Miller saw that and optioned deep? If so, Mitch would not read that as open as it looked at the point he needed to ditch. He could make that throw safely either way but he could also extend the play as he did and successfully except for Massie guys tackling him.

This is what I'm getting at. We don't know everything that's going on even if it appears we do. I suspect that Adi's right on this and Mitch's play this year would fit the scenario but it's not assured.

Last edited:

Novak

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Guys tend to learn. Of course Cohen still runs sideways so...
For every guy that learns I can show you 2 that never do.

Progression should never be assumed. Monty hasn't really shown me anything that says this isn't exactly who he is. He did this in college too.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

Which should actually be maximized.

I don't want to say it is a good thing or a bad thing, but Trubisky is now going to have to sit on the sideline with the very last play he was in on very clearly illustrating WTF is wrong with Mitchell Trubisky.

There was no reason not to step up into that pocket unless all Trubisky is doing is keying on his first read and the second it's gone...so is he. Which I could almost live with if he ran with the deciviness that he was last season pre-injury. Now he just a ball of indecisiveness and took a hit he never had to take.

Everyone says he just needed a confidence boost, but instead he has to let that horrible play run through his head for weeks...if not more.

As a fan, I wish for better news, but I think you just saw the begining of the end for Mitchell Trubisky.