Week 6 film review

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
THE BAD

Another ugly game for the offense. It begins with the offensive line in the running game. Failure across the board, as each player took turns sabotaging the game. But Coward was at least partly involved in most.

It’s a highlight reel of ineptitude. Here Ifedi lets his man through the line of scrimmage immediately and then the pulling Coward literally runs into Montgomery in the backfield...

***CLIP***

Here Charles Leno fails to seal the inside of the running lane. This forces Montgomery to stop and redirect. The delay allows the LB to get across the field and fill the hole...

***CLIP***

Here both Coward and Kmet take on the same LB, leaving the other free to fill the hole...

***CLIP***

Here Brown just decimates Coward on his way to Montgomery...

***CLIP***

Coward is driven back two yards immediately at the snap. The instant penetration swallows up the fullback Nall. Leno whiffs on his block at the edge...

***CLIP***

Here 3 defenders meet in the backfield completely unblocked. This is just incredible...

***CLIP***

Coward has no idea who he’s supposed to be blocking on this play...

***CLIP***

Nobody picks up the blitzing LB through the A gap...

***CLIP***

Massie is supposed to help Jimmy Graham with the DE initially, and then peel off to the LB at the second level. He misses both the DE and the LB...

***CLIP***

It wasn’t all on the offensive line. Let’s not forget the TE’s and WR’s. Graham gets really lazy here and doesn’t finish his block...

***CLIP***

Rather than taking on the CB immediately and decisively, Harris hesitates and slows his feet. This allows the CB to gain outside position and dictate the flow...

***CLIP***

Wims gets bullied by a 180 lb cornerback...

***CLIP***

Harris gives up on his block prematurely and almost gets Foles killed...

***CLIP***

The pass protection was not that much better, as we saw during the INT play. The term “turnstile” is used occasionally in reference to offensive linemen. Well, on this play Coward is the very definition as he gets completely spun around by Brown, while both Ifedi and Whitehair allow Kerr to get through in between them...

***CLIP***

Harris was actually open on this play and a high velocity throw at a lower trajectory would have resulted in a touchdown. The underneath defender had to come in to cover Montgomery and the deep safety went with Graham. But Foles was retreating 10+ yards behind the LOS at speed and delivered this pass fading away (with suspect arm strength to begin with). This resulted in a pass with the hang time of a punt, giving the underneath defender plenty of time to get downfield into the play and undercut the throw.

***CLIP***

Here is a QB hit on a 0 step drop...

***CLIP***

Another developing issue in pass protection is the play of Charles Leno. A once adequate pass protecter has struggled incredibly over the past few weeks. His struggles are specific to the QB switch.

With Mitchell Trubisky, opposing defenses wanted to keep him in the pocket. The last thing they wanted to allow was Trubisky scrambling for easy yards. So the edge rushers would always rush wide to contain him within the pocket. An inside move from an edge rusher, even if successful, would allow Trubisky to easily scramble towards the sideline and around the defensive front.

With Foles, there is no running threat. Edge rushers are coming inside at their own discretion. These inside moves are what is currently plaguing Charles Leno. And then he oversets inside only to be beaten outside. He is being beat to the inside at an alarming pace, and if he does not adjust quickly the Bears are going to have to make a change at LT.

Miller is open on the out route towards the sideline, as the underneath defender gets turned around. Foles opts for the safer throw to Kmet, and Miller throws a mini tantrum...

***CLIP***

From 1st down to 4th down all in one play...

***CLIP***

This was a pass interference on Robinson and a defensive hold on Wims at the top. Foles also gets blasted because Ifedi misses his block...

***CLIP***

This is a great read by Foles after the window to his primary target, Robinson, is closed by the underneath defender. But Harris drops it...

***CLIP***

THE GOOD

There were some very impressive individual plays in this game. The first being the TD pass to Cole Kmet.

Before the snap, Foles motions Robinson out of the backfield to get a read on the coverage. Based on the movement, he diagnoses man coverage and immediately changes the play call...

***CLIP***

In zone coverage, the middle defenders would backpedal with eyes on the QB. In man, the middle defenders would have to find and follow their individual assignment...

tMixbWz_d.jpg

This clearance of the middle field is what Foles keys in on. If it stays man, he’s going to Kmet and only Kmet.

***CLIP***

This pre snap read is vital for another reason as well. This is because Charles Leno is beaten immediately off the line on yet another inside move. If Foles didn’t know exactly where he was going with the ball before the snap, this play would have ended up resulting in a quick and easy sack. Foles even adjusts the trajectory of the pass at the last moment to avoid getting it batted away...

***CLIP***

This is great manipulation by Foles against zone coverage. He pump fakes to Patterson in order to suck the underneath defender in and create a window to Mooney...

***CLIP 1***

***CLIP 2***

6 yards after contact by Montgomery...

***CLIP***

Sidearm around a leaping lineman, to Mooney in between the cover 3 zone...

***CLIP***

The running game started gCoward finally stands his ground, Montgomery breaks a tackle at the second level...

***CLIP***

Montgomery sucks the defense in and then bounces it outside...

***CLIP***

Quick snap by Foles that catches the Carolina secondary flat footed...

***CLIP***

Great clearance by Ifedi and 2nd level block by Massie. Graham is not able to hold his block, but Montgomery manages to shed that defender...

***CLIP***

FINAL THOUGHTS

The defense won this game.

Last edited:

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I'm not sure how Pace watches this and does nothing to improve the line. Castillo is working with the least talented line in the league. Coward is a disaster

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
This offense fails on so many levels, but how does a brain trust of coaches design a play, esp in the redzone, that has 3 receiving targets converging at one point? What?

Another issue that stems from coaching, or lack there of. Good team with good coaching hustle to the ball and play to the whistle. This teams offense doesn't. This all stems from poor practice habits. Nagy seems just to be that guy that wants to have his players like him a bit too much. I highly doubt he has once ripped them a new one for loafing at practice. An O-lineman hustling downfield and falling on a fumble or pushing the player 4 extra yards or a WR looking to block after not being the target are things that win games, esp for teams with talent limitations.

This team needs to maximize every positive play, God knows there aren't enough of them.

Graham and Montgomery just stop and start strolling downfield before Mooney even catches the ballWhat if he fumbles or fights for more yards, he may need the help.
Pair of loafers

Ifedi stops and pulls up his pants as Montgomery runs by.

Saggy Britches

Miller busy pouting and Harris signaling 1st down as Kmet, 4 yards away, you know, is fighting for a 1st down.

Thanks fellas

Last edited:

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
This offense fails on so many levels, but how does a brain trust of coaches design a play, esp in the redzone, that has 3 receiving targets converging at one point? What?

A Nagy-designed offense. I'd prefer if they just flat out cut Miller. Kid is a spoiled little bitch

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
They should try some more quick hitters in the run game. So hard to tell by how poor the blocking is but it seems that sometimes Monty could use a bit more patience behind the line. I'm saying that with a bit of trepidation because the run game is not on him and that sort of patience may also have more DL closing on him sooner with this OL.

While I'm not sure Kmet always gets his assignments right but it's nice to see him pick a guy, latch on and actually move him. He looks to maintain very good leverage on the move. The OL is crazy disappointing and you can see why the coaches initially picked Mitch in these circumstances even if he dumped the magician act of 2018.

Thing is, these players, except maybe LG right now, should at least be serviceable and they miss assignments and just plain get beat way too often. I get that it was going to take a few games this year with a new run scheme and new line coach but that's past. They better be getting their asses kicked in the film room. Get Spriggs and Bars out their and if they fail, next until they find somebody that wants to play. How much worse could Spriggs and Bars play than Leno and Coward did in this game?

Last edited:

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
So much for Castillo improving technique and the OLs understanding of assignments. These guys still routinely blow assignments.

It is also obvious that Foles is saving this O right now. As bad as he has looked at times, he is also changing things and manipulating the D in key moments.

Last edited:

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
That first play, it looks like Montgomery could have cut inside and followed Coward and scored. Coward has to get his ass thru the line faster though, he takes an arc like route instead of going right down the LOS......and another example of Montgomery's lack of patience in the run game.

I could go thru and comment on every play, but I won't. Leno has always struggled against inside moves, he does well with speed but not speed-to-power. It's 100% technique with him. He just flat out looks bad. He's bending at the waist not the knees. He doesn't have nose over toes, he's all out of balance because his upper body is too far ahead of his lower body. He's not getting a punch. And we've seen in past weeks his cut technique is atrocious.

There's still the miscommunication and missed assignments from last year, but the biggest issue seems to be that guys are just flat out being beat. Whether it's talent or technique (probably both) guys aren't performing up to expectations. Can't keep blaming the OL coach.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Well Bears fans certainly scapegoated HH last year. Cant blame JC for lack of talent but technique and blowing assignments are coachable. If those were HH's fault last year then they are JC's fault this year.

I mean these are not complicated techniques or assignments. If you can point them out on the internet, how is it JC hasnt drilled these things into the OL yet?

Nagy seems to care more about being the players' friends than he does instilling discipline hence why Long and Larson were clowning him for his stupid bonding games.

Last edited:

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Well Bears fans certainly scapegoated HH last year. Cant blame LC for lack of talent but technique and blowing assignments are coachable. If those were HH's fault last year then they are LC's fault this year.

I mean these are not complicated techniques or assignments. If you can point them out on the internet, how is it LC hasnt drilled these things into the OL yet?

Nagy seems to care more about being the players' friends than he does instilling discipline hence why Long and Larson were clowning him for his stupid bonding games.

Who is LC?

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Well Bears fans certainly scapegoated HH last year. Cant blame JC for lack of talent but technique and blowing assignments are coachable. If those were HH's fault last year then they are JC's fault this year.

I mean these are not complicated techniques or assignments. If you can point them out on the internet, how is it JC hasnt drilled these things into the OL yet?

IMHO, it probably goes back to Nagy and his play designs. He really likes to complicate the simple. As I have said before, all his excessive presnap motion seems to confuse no one other than his own players.

Indecision leads to inaction.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
I'm not sure how Pace watches this and does nothing to improve the line. Castillo is working with the least talented line in the league. Coward is a disaster
Word is Bars was dealing with an injury. He seems healthy now, so hopefully there is a change for a Monday.

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Word is Bars was dealing with an injury. He seems healthy now, so hopefully there is a change for a Monday.

I really don't think Bars improves the line much. I'm a Notre Dame homer too

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels

The better question is, how are Nagy and Castillo watching this tape and not screaming at all of the linemen in the film room???

CHIBEAR

Liked Posts:
For as bad as the tape was we had one three and out and managed to put up points 3 of the first 4 time we touched the ball. For our offense thats an improvement but it still has so much stuff to clean up and Im not sure it will ever clean it all up with the current talent level.