Well this is depressing as hell to read.

gpphat

2020 CCS Fantasy Football Champ (ESPN League)
Donator
CCS Overall Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Virginia Commonwealth Rams
If an article based on a sports team capability to run makes you depressed...you should probably re-evaluate your priorities. Maybe get some fresh air, play some lawn darts, or learn capoeira.

greg23

Liked Posts:
BHVGHC is scheming and salivating:

Run up middle for 7 yards on the opening play

Scrap the running plays rest game

= 7 yard run up the middle average

=We're back to a dominant running team

#problemsolver

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Kmet can block. He will be in route more but his blocking is good for a rookie.

The guy was a lousy blocker in college, and without even taking an NFL snap, you're anointing him good for a Rookie, thats to much homerism even for a homer

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
The guy was a lousy blocker in college, and without even taking an NFL snap, you're anointing him good for a Rookie, thats to much homerism even for a homer
I watch ND and the Bears every week and he he is pretty good blocker. Why would you say he is lousy? WTF are you basing that on?

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Point is we can't run and haven't been a good running team much at all since the M.Ditka years as our HC.
You mean the Bears running game has been in decline since the greatest running back, possibly greatest player in NFL history retired? Shocking. Next thing you will tell me is that the Patriots offense will suffer without Tom Brady.

Angry Boomer

President Mayhem
Donator
Liked Posts:

The Bears have a dirty little secret.

They can't run the ball up the middle.

Their built-up persona, this narrative about Chicago being a tough blue-collar town that loves defense and running the ball is a total myth. It's a fabrication.

The defensive part isn't a myth. The running game part is, and it has been dating back to the end of the Mike Ditka era.

They are not a tough offense.

Overcoming this problem is part of the task facing new offensive line coach Juan Castillo, offensive coordinator Bill Lazor and coach Matt Nagy as they try to find a way to get the running game going.

"When you look at the last couple years with where we’ve been, we reflect and we understand that we need to be better in the run game," Nagy said last week during a WSCR appearance on McNeil and Parkins. “When your run game isn't quite as good as you want it to be, at that time, it's hard to call runs. At the same time, we need to do whatever's best for our team. We need to adjust and adapt as coaches to who our players are.

'Now that we've had a couple years as a staff to see figure out players' strengths are and what their weaknesses are, now we are able to work together with them and put together a product on the field that we think is a lot better. If that means running the ball a lot more, shoot, we are going to do it. Whatever we need to do, we'll do it."

Age-Old Problem

It's not a new situation.

The Bears have been a top-10 rushing team only three times since the late Michael McCaskey fired Ditka in 1992, and they haven't been higher than seventh in the league since then.

The persona about being a tough, running football team? It's a lot of blather concocted by national television networks just to give viewers something to focus on when there wasn't a quarterback worth watching.

Does a team need to lead the league in rushing to be a good offense? Of course not.

But if you're going to have the caliber of quarterbacks the Bears have had over the years since they ran Jim McMahon out of town, then they'd better be good at running the ball so they can at least have some way to move it.

Thats what happens when you run a 5'6, 180 lb back up the middle

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Now that we've had a couple years as a staff to see figure out players' strengths are and what their weaknesses are, now we are able to work together with them and put together a product on the field that we think is a lot better. If that means running the ball a lot more, shoot, we are going to do it. Whatever we need to do, we'll do it."

.......wtf is this shit?!? 2 full offseasons and a season and a half, and 5’5” 140 lb Cohen still getting short yardage calls.... Nagy is fucking an idiot. Strengths and weaknesses are figured out in one offseason not in the 3rd year..
Do you really think he has figured it out? I would mortgage the farm, Cohen takes it up the middle on short yardage week 1.
Taking "years" to figure out your players strengths and weaknesses is inexcusable. Taking 10 minutes to figure out a 5'6" 180lb rb is not an up the middle runner is laughable.

Here are his run charts.

2018 35% of his runs between the tackles.
Season YPC: 4.5
1590240727637.png
2019 51.5% of his runs between the tackles.
Season YPC: 3.3
1590240514554.png

Does this seem like a guy figuring out a players strengths?

Last edited:

msadows

Liked Posts:
Do you really think he has figured it out? I would mortgage the farm, Cohen takes it up the middle on short yardage week 1.
Taking "years" to figure out your players strengths and weaknesses is inexcusable. Taking 10 minutes to figure out a 5'6" 180lb rb is not an up the middle runner is laughable.

Here are his run charts.

2018 35% of his runs between the tackles.
Season YPC: 4.5
View attachment 5630
2019 51.5% of his runs between the tackles.
Season YPC: 3.3
View attachment 5629

Does this seem like a guy figuring out a players strengths?

You also seem to miss mentioning the fact that his edge numbers were awful in 2019.

Having our two best lineman playing in the middle might be why we ran up the middle the most with him? Also, we saw very few stacked boxes, so in theory attacking the middle should work with any RB, if your oline didn't blow.

They shouldn't be running him up the middle on 1st down, but on 2nd when its a passing down? Sure, why not, it's seemed to have worked during his career thus far. He's averaging nearly 6YPC over his career running between the guards on 2nd/3rd down(Granted, its only on 53 attempts).

Averaging 2.0YPC on 41 attempts on first down. THAT, is the true problem. When it's a passing down the D doesn't expect his midget ass to run up the middle so he succeeds more often than not.

Last edited:

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
You also seem to miss mentioning the fact that his edge numbers were awful in 2019.

Having our two best lineman playing in the middle might be why we ran up the middle the most with him? Also, we saw very few stacked boxes, so in theory attacking the middle should work with any RB, if your oline didn't blow.

They shouldn't be running him up the middle on 1st down, but on 2nd when its a passing down? Sure, why not, it's seemed to have worked during his career thus far. He's averaging nearly 6YPC over his career running between the guards on 2nd/3rd down(Granted, its only on 53 attempts).

Averaging 2.0YPC on 41 attempts on first down. THAT, is the true problem. When it's a passing down the D doesn't expect his midget ass to run up the middle so he succeeds more often than not.
There is no rationalizing running a 5'6" 180lb rb up the middle more than 5-10 times a season as a gadget play, certainly no way to justify over half his run plays up the middle, saying otherwise is football ignorant.

greg23

Liked Posts:
Those numbers are way off

When cohen runs outside, he averages at least 26 yards per rush since the field is about 53 yards wide.

#fakenews

Thomas31

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
He's still figuring it out going in to Year 3, while his opponents have already figured him out after year 1...

Hilarious...

BEARS

msadows

Liked Posts:
There is no rationalizing running a 5'6" 180lb rb up the middle more than 5-10 times a season as a gadget play, certainly no way to justify over half his run plays up the middle, saying otherwise is football ignorant.

Yes, there is. Why? Because it works.

It's like you ignored the fact he averages 6YPC up the middle on passing downs.

I agree, running him up the gut on 1st down is dumb. He doesn't have the size, but on passing downs where you get favorable boxes it has been proven to work.

Last year we couldn't run to the edges anyways. It wasn't just our oline, all our WR's sucked balls at blocking and we had no TE's who could block.

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I watch ND and the Bears every week and he he is pretty good blocker. Why would you say he is lousy? WTF are you basing that on?
I have a close friend that was recently inducted into the Wisconsin coaches hall of fame, he is also a ND and Bears fan, he feels that Kmet is a shit blocker, and he does'nt wear homer glasses, to list his name would be indiscreet, but his initials are J.O, and he's forgot more about football than both of us combined !!

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
I have a close friend that was recently inducted into the Wisconsin coaches hall of fame, he is also a ND and Bears fan, he feels that Kmet is a shit blocker, and he does'nt wear homer glasses, to list his name would be indiscreet, but his initials are J.O, and he's forgot more about football than both of us combined !!
I have watched him make blocks with my own eye on many occasions. I have seen it myself. I believe my own eyes over your buddies opinion. Don't need homer glasses to see a good block, you just need to be looking. His coaches believed he could block, the NFL scouts said he is big and strong and a willing blocker who stays on his guy until the whistle blows. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
If Nagy never runs Cohen between the Tackles, teams will have an adv in defending against him (knowing he wont run between the Tackles). Problem with Cohen is he doesn't shoot holes in the middle, has a problem running North in general... that, and the OL doesn't make many holes to begin with. That's just to say, Cohen should shoot up the middle sometimes, but 75%+ outside. That, or he should receiving in Slot more than rushing.

Madden

Liked Posts:
Nagy needs to stop forcing the offense to go through Cohen. He had something like the 2nd most touches on our team but the worst yards per touch on the team. Just a totally flawed strategy. O-line is mostly to blame but Cohen isn't exactly breaking tackles or out juking defenders, he needs initial space to work with so he can use his acceleration to run 12 miles horizontally before cutting upfield.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Yes, there is. Why? Because it works.

It's like you ignored the fact he averages 6YPC up the middle on passing downs.

I agree, running him up the gut on 1st down is dumb. He doesn't have the size, but on passing downs where you get favorable boxes it has been proven to work.

Last year we couldn't run to the edges anyways. It wasn't just our oline, all our WR's sucked balls at blocking and we had no TE's who could block.
Not sure where you are getting the 6YPC up the middle on 2nd and 3rd down in passing downs, but let's assume your very pigeon-holed stat is correct.

Here is what Cohen has done up the middle under Nagy the last 2 yrs :

1590324820292.png

That comes out to 3.745 YPC between the tackles and 5.8YPC off tackle.

To try and say Cohen is a good up the middle runner is, to put it gently, of low football intelligence .

Oh,and so as to not be selective in my stats you can throw in the Fox year and Cohens YPC between the tackles balloons to 3.847.

Last edited: