Were the Bears to trade for Wilson, are you prepared to lose Hicks and Fuller?

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
Yeah i guess i'm kinda doing the same but just not posting about it as much like it's gonna happen.
It’s the offseason, we know news like that is going to be posted here. Why not have fun with it.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Like has been mentioned, Wilson's hit is a very affordable 19M if traded. I think most are missing the point though, of adding a stud QB like Wilson/Watson. If you are going to trade multiple 1st round picks for a QB AND pay him tons of money, the whole point of doing that is that you think you're a QB away. If you get the QB at the expense of multiple starters (Hicks, Fuller, ARob), now you went from being a QB away to a DE, CB, and WR away. And since you traded multiple picks away, you won't be able to sufficiently replace them.

So, if the Bears feel like they are even close to Wilson or Watson, best believe they have plans to restructure contracts, keep everyone, and make a run in 2021.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Without thinking twice.

Keep in mind Goldman will be back so Hicks is expendable. Plus as of late he has been injury prone and caught takin plays off. Fuller can be replaced Id simply slide over Jaylon and draft another late round corner. Like losing Leno and Massie would even show. Hell might be an improvement.

You'd be adding Goldman, but losing Hicks. Also, every other DL from the 2020 roster is a FA except Bilal Nichols who is a FA after 2021. While you can sign a few cheap players to fill the void, your DL would clearly be worse without Hicks. And you'd have the worst CB group in the league with a late round pick, a 2nd year guy that missed several games, Vildor and Shelley.

What's the point of adding a great QB just to gut the defense? At that point, you're basically the same team as the Seahawks

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
You'd be adding Goldman, but losing Hicks. Also, every other DL from the 2020 roster is a FA except Bilal Nichols who is a FA after 2021. While you can sign a few cheap players to fill the void, your DL would clearly be worse without Hicks. And you'd have the worst CB group in the league with a late round pick, a 2nd year guy that missed several games, Vildor and Shelley.

What's the point of adding a great QB just to gut the defense? At that point, you're basically the same team as the Seahawks
Well, to me, Wilson is a QB that makes us competitive with GB. He can captain this team through a shootout and come out victorious.

Love Fuller, love Hicks, but while they can keep GB to fewer points, our offense can't get the job done. I'd rather score 30+ with a chance to beat GB than lose in a low scoring game.

redgrange19

Eater of Ham
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Let them go. Haven’t won shit and won’t win shit with them.

redgrange19

Eater of Ham
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Fuller is solid, but you could see Hicks decline big time last season.

Butkus34

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
It would suck to lose Hicks and Fuller as a fan. As an organization it is the smart play. Hicks is undoubtedly a locker room leader that would need to be replaced and Wilson would do just that. Nichols would move into Hicks starting spot and Goldman would man the middle where Nichols and crew filled in admirably.

Fuller would be tough to replace as he sets a physical tone that I am not sure the Bears could easily replace. Do they find that replacement in Artie Burns? Tre Roberson and Michael Joseph don't think would do that. JJ becomes your number 1 corner and Burns number 2 or a FA/draft pick and they go young with the expectation that the front gets back to being disruptive allowing for a few more mistakes to be forgiven by pressure.

Overall, it is best to part with talent before there is a big salary and play has completely fallen off. When any of that can help net you a Franchise QB, you have to do it. Wilson at QB, Nichols replacing Hicks, JJ replacing Fuller and Burns/FA/Draft pick locking down the CB2 is infinitely better than Foles/low tier trade/FA/draft pick, Hicks, Fuller.

Last edited:

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
I'm already in favor of cutting Massie just to free up space regardless of what happens at QB.

Hicks hasn't been dominant since his injury in 2019. I think its hard to cut him just because, but if it mean we get to sign Arob or make a move at QB its a no brainer.

Leno is likely gone after next season anyways and we should be looking for his replacement anyways. If it means speeding up the process to get this franchise the best QB its ever had then byyyyyyeeee!

Fuller shouldn't be given away just on the idea he will free up cap space. I believe his contract is set up as the top candidate to restructure + extension. Spread out the cap hit and tack on a few years. But if we need to make But if Fuller is highly valued by Seattle, and they place a 1st rd pick+ on him, then you make the deal.

Bears Backer 54

Liked Posts:
Cutting both starting tackles means you MUST hit on an OT prospect in the draft. There is no margin for error. The loss of Fuller is a huge, huge blow to the secondary. You cannot afford another injury to Johnson, or the defense is completely cooked.

For Watson, It’s a no brainer. Wilson, on the other hand, is 32 years old. He’s been hit a ton throughout his career and relies on his mobility to manufacture many of his game changing splash plays. The mobility is huge because it offsets most of his deficiencies in regards to making the proper reads. It’s a bit trickier to try and rebuild the team with him. You simply don’t have as much time.

All that being said, yes, you still take the trade off. Keeping a defense or offense together is nearly impossible anyways, there are just too many moving parts. But a great QB, alone, can keep an offense afloat.
This is my big concern on Wilson. You cannot mortgage as much to get Wilson as you might for Watson because of his age and playing style. I don't see Wilson being a dominant QB in his late 30s or even making it to 40 given his playing style. If you go with Wilson you have to somehow cut a bunch more players for cap space and then try and fill all the existing holes and the new ones with less cap and draft picks in order to make a run in the next 3-4 years. Watson at least has more time on his side (assuming he doesn't lose his patience with the Bears front office and demand a trade again if we can't build a annual contender around him).

Bears Backer 54

Liked Posts:
Hicks hasn't been dominant since his injury in 2019. I think its hard to cut him just because, but if it mean we get to sign Arob or make a move at QB its a no brainer.
How quickly we forget the Vikings and Packers games without Hicks. The defense's ability to stop the run with and without him was night and day Hicks shows value against Vikings While his cap hit is huge, I think it is a disservice to act like cutting him and plugging in anyone will not be felt. Unfortunately, the contract structures Pace gave us with players like Hicks, Fuller, etc. really put us in a jam now because Pace also continues to give up draft picks to move up and not acquire any additional and so the pipeline of talent is narrowed down and we don't have enough young talent in the wings to allow us to get out of these bloated contracts when we need to.