What are the actual offensive problems?

gilder121

I don't care nearly as much anymore
Donator
Liked Posts:
What are the actual problems vs. what is just a byproduct of everything looking bad?

What are the real limiting factors of the offense?

A sampling of things that I've seen or have crossed my mind-
- Defenses have adjusted to Nagy's play calling and he needs to figure out how to adjust back.
- Nagy is too "cute" and needs to stop running a gadget offense
- Nagy struggles with game flow and how to adjust his play calling.

- Mitch struggles to read defenses
- Mitch misses open throws
- Mitch is inconsistent
- Mitch let's emotions affect him too heavily

- O-Line pass blocking
- Run blocking

- WRs not winning 1v1 or making correct adjustments to zone coverage

- Too many matchup guys, not enough prototype position players
- The offense needs Trey Burton and he is struggling with availability
- The wrong guys are playing

Plus any others that you can think of.

Last edited:

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
Many of these are a serious concern, but I have to disagree with the Mitch emotion one...I don't think emotions have anything to do with it, he's just not that good.

I think Nagy's play calling will work itself out.

I do believe you're on to something with "too many matchup guys, not enough prototype position players..."

As I pointed out in a lot of posts this morning, I think we've been overrating our offensive players completely.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
What category do you think these fall into

1) Extreme concern- Will lose multiple games if not fixed.
2) Moderate concern - Limiting factor for offense, but can exist on a winning team.
3) Mild concern - May fix itself without any adjustment.
4) This isn't actually an issue

A sampling of things that I've seen or have crossed my mind-
- Defenses have adjusted to Nagy's play calling and he needs to figure out how to adjust back.
- Nagy is too "cute" and needs to stop running a gadget offense
- Nagy struggles with game flow and how to adjust his play calling.

- Mitch struggles to read defenses
- Mitch misses open throws
- Mitch is inconsistent
- Mitch let's emotions affect him too heavily

- O-Line pass blocking
- Run blocking

- WRs not winning 1v1 or making correct adjustments to zone coverage

- Too many matchup guys, not enough prototype position players
- The offense needs Trey Burton and he is struggling with availability
- The wrong guys are playing

Plus any others that you can think of.

When is this due by?

gilder121

Donator
Liked Posts:
When is this due by?
Now. Move your lazy ass.

Or you can just do what @halftime did and say what you think the actual concerns are vs what's just getting magnified because everything looks bad. That's ultimately what the thread is about and the rest is just talking points to get there.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
I think the playcalling is too conservative early on.

He needs to script a play or two that take shots downfield on 2nd down. He's throwing screens to the sidelines.

I can predict most of our playcalls. So defensive coordinators are probably thinking. Ok give em small yards not big plays.

Calabis

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The oline is the biggest issue, then Mitch who probably doesnt trust them is looking at the blocked defenders, after one read. U can see him looking comfy, when he is scrambling.

It starts with the oline, then Mitch, then receivers jogging if their number isnt called...saw that a couple times yesterday.

pepethebear

Liked Posts:
They have next to no chemistry having undeservedly skipped the preseason (only one side of the ball earned that). Also the offense is reliant on a quick recieving tight end in order to function properly. Burton has barely played and might be fucked in the head.

Burton was trubisky's safety valve last season. He doesnt have a viable one right now outside of I guess Robinson and we need him to stretch the field.

The offensive line might be worse than last year but to be honest I think trubisky is exactly the same. Hasn't gotten any better which is a problem. But he looks worse because the offense is out of sync and handicapped. Navy's playcalling at times does not help things. I got Trestman flashbacks the last 2 weeks

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Also, Nagy gets paid pretty handsomely to figure this out.

gilder121

Donator
Liked Posts:
IMO the biggest issue is that Mitch isn't comfortable reading defenses right now. I don't think Nagy is doing as good of a job scheming people open as he was last year, but I think a lot of that has to do with the limited reads/route concepts Trubisky can consistently throw. The name of the game shouldn't be limiting the playbook this far into Trubisky's career.

Trubisky is clearly a rhythm QB, so hopefully they can find a way to get him in rhythm more often.

Interior OLine is a major concern too. It seems like both games there has been someone on the inside that has been having their way.

What can be fixed?

If this is truly what Trubisky is, then I don't really know. That's the scary thing. He is Tim Tebow bad these past couple of games. Kind of funny that the Broncos got Tebowed. Ultimately Mitch needs to snap out of it and I don't know how realistic it is at this point.

The Big Grabowski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
There isn't just one problem with the offense. It's a lot of things bogging the whole unit down.

Nagy was better with playcalling this week but far from what the offense needs. He's too cute with calls too often. There's not enough bread and butter plays, running or passing, to build any consistency on drives. Where's the play action when defenses stack for the run? Where are the screens to counter pressure? Where are the quick outs and slants? The league has figured Nags out and he needs to evolve.

Trubisky wasn't much better this week. He was compartmentalized. He managed to get off his first read in limited attempts. There weren't many open receivers, but he missed a wide open throw that would have blown the game open. Then he made a clutch play that got them in FG range. It's definitely on him to improve and I don't see how he gets comfortable again in the offense until Nagy figures out how to help and not hinder him.

The line was better this week. Not great, but they didn't give up a sack. I don't think there were a lot of holes for Montgomery. But it was good they stayed committed to the run and added some wrinkles in with the Patterson run and the jet sweep to Gabriel right after.

Burton played but it's obvious how much the unit struggles without a TE threat over the middle. I think getting that position right is where you start.

BBBF

Liked Posts:
Last season, MItch & Nagy were good coming out the gate with the scripted plays. What happened? Is this more on Mitch or Nagy?

Aztazzoni

Liked Posts:
Other issue no one is seeing is that the Def is not getting the turnovers like last year.. We play with a long field the oline is shit.. Cohen likes to run side to side backwards too much and Miller/Gabrial where are they in all of this.. Wimms why cant he make the field..

LeSueur

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Toronto Blue Jays
  1. Toronto Raptors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Ottawa Senators
  1. Syracuse Orange
If this offence needs Trey Burton in order to succeed it could be a long season.

gilder121

Donator
Liked Posts:
How's Alex Smith's recovery going? Any chance he plays football again?