What are you reading?

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Just finished reading Samurai Rising: The Epic Life of Minamoto Yoshitsune as well as Senjoku Jidai: Nobunaga, Hideyoshi and Ieyasu: Three Great Unifiers of Japan.

Good books if you want to learn about Japanese samurai history.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Does anyone read Warhammer 40k books?

Horus Heresy series

Gaunt's Ghosts series

Ciaphas Cain series

There's probably a dozen or more other smaller series about individual Legions/Chapters, along with some single books.

I've read all like 20 books in the Gaunt's Ghosts series thus far.

I read all but one or two of the Ciaphas Cain series.

Horus Heresy is like 50+ books.... I think I've read the first 40 or so.

KoreanBear

Liked Posts:
Currently about half way through Disgrace by JM Coetzee. Really good. Powerful and poetic. Very dark.

KoreanBear

Liked Posts:
So I found out that the movie Memento was also a short story. The Nolan brothers came up with story together and Christopher made the movie while his bro wrote a story or something... it was published in the Esquire magazine and is online. I'm about half way through and is a good read. Thought I'd share it here.

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
LED ZEPPELIN
All the Songs: The Story Behind Every Track.

KoreanBear

Liked Posts:
Can you guys read this paragraph and understand it without looking up many words in the dictionary?

"It howled execration upon the dim camarine world of its nativity wail on wail while he lay there gibbering with palsied jawhasps, his hands putting back the night night like some witless paraclete beleaguered with all limbo's clamor.'

This is from Outer Dark by Cormac McCarthy and I know my vocabulary isn't great but this shit is just damn too crazy hard right? Just trying to judge my dumbness.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Just finished reading the following 3 books all of which I would recommend and all part of a series.

Truelife
(Book 3 of Lifelike series trilogy)

Aurora Burning (Book 2)

Spirit (Book 3 of cartographer series which is still ongoing)

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
Currently reading the intelligent investor.

Did you finish? Are you now a crotchety old value investor?

I am currently reading "Trade like a Stock MArket Wizard" by Mark Minervini... I reccomend it. It is very opposite Intelligent Investor but it makes sense.

There are so many decayed companies like Ford out there. Sometimes ya gotta ride all time high stocks to make money.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Did you finish? Are you now a crotchety old value investor?

I am currently reading "Trade like a Stock MArket Wizard" by Mark Minervini... I reccomend it. It is very opposite Intelligent Investor but it makes sense.

There are so many decayed companies like Ford out there. Sometimes ya gotta ride all time high stocks to make money.

LMAO. Yeah, but by the time I got to this book, it wasn't really anything I wasn't already doing. Probably would've been better off reading it a year or two ago. Still a solid read, and it was basically why I moved my more speculative plays into a separate account. I'll look into your recommendation for sure.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Finished reading the 8th book in the Cradle Series Wintersteel. Love these series as it has a rich universe and a very detailed mythology regarding the development of the characters martial skills.

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm big on audiobooks.
Anyone read or listened to Alan Furst?
I like some of his books more than others.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm big on audiobooks

I never could get into them. Listening to someone else read to me always triggered my inner four year old and I just get really sleepy.

My terrible confession is the whole smart phone revolution of the past decade really put an end to what was a lifetime of reading books during my time riding public transportation. Now I am either CCSing or playing Spades online.

No mas!

I am forcing myself to read a book again. Someone gave me a copy of Chuck Palahniuk's "Adjustment Day" for X-Mas way back in 2018 and I am finally fifty pages in!!!

The basic theme of too many young men in the population without clear discipline or direction will lead to revolution seems a bit prophetic considering the events that would start unfolding a couple of years after it's publishing. It's what always made Palahniuk one of the best satirists of my generation.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
I never could get into them. Listening to someone else read to me always triggered my inner four year old and I just get really sleepy.

My terrible confession is the whole smart phone revolution of the past decade really put an end to what was a lifetime of reading books during my time riding public transportation. Now I am either CCSing or playing Spades online.

No mas!

I am forcing myself to read a book again. Someone gave me a copy of Chuck Palahniuk's "Adjustment Day" for X-Mas way back in 2018 and I am finally fifty pages in!!!

The basic theme of too many young men in the population without clear discipline or direction will lead to revolution seems a bit prophetic considering the events that would start unfolding a couple of years after it's publishing. It's what always made Palahniuk one of the best satirists of my generation.

I do not think I have read a bad book by Palahniuk.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I do not think I have read a bad book by Palahniuk.

His book 'Choke' is one of my favorite books ever and where I got my screenname.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
palahniuk's writing teacher was my old boss's boyfriend in portland, at least according to my old boss

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
palahniuk's writing teacher was my old boss's boyfriend in portland, at least according to my old boss

I knew I guy that took that class/workshop/etc with Palahniuk before he got Fight Club published.

He says the original story was about this guy that gets beat up one weekend, but when he goes back to the office on Monday...no one will acknowledge it. So he just starts beating himself up worse to try to get a reaction out of anybody which climaxs in the familiar scene of him beating the hell out of himself in front of his boss and everyone just assumes the boss did it and he gets this great severance package out of the company to never speak a word of what happened.

Five years later it's a movie starring Brad Pitt...I think my friend is still farming potatoes just outside of Eugene while doing a little work for the local paper.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I knew I guy that took that class/workshop/etc with Palahniuk before he got Fight Club published.

He says the original story was about this guy that gets beat up one weekend, but when he goes back to the office on Monday...no one will acknowledge it. So he just starts beating himself up worse to try to get a reaction out of anybody which climaxs in the familiar scene of him beating the hell out of himself in front of his boss and everyone just assumes the boss did it and he gets this great severance package out of the company to never speak a word of what happened.

Five years later it's a movie starring Brad Pitt...I think my friend is still farming potatoes just outside of Eugene while doing a little work for the local paper.
for what it's worth, my boss who name-dropped being palahniuk's teacher's boyfriend just stopped showing up to teach his classes at one point and we never knew what became of him, other than that we knew he wasn't dead because he kept collecting paychecks until we had to shut them off

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
for what it's worth, my boss who name-dropped being palahniuk's teacher's boyfriend just stopped showing up to teach his classes at one point and we never knew what became of him, other than that we knew he wasn't dead because he kept collecting paychecks until we had to shut them off

Well that does very much sound like behavior typical of the citizens of Portland...so maybe the story checks out or maybe they were just a another terrible person from the terrible city of Portland.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Well that does very much sound like behavior typical of the citizens of Portland...so maybe the story checks out or maybe they were just a another terrible person from the terrible city of Portland.
you put this guy with carrie brownstein and fred armisen, portlandia would've won an emmy. I am liberal and love the PNW but don't think I could live in Portland.

Sorry to have gone on a tangent. I OD'ed on literature in grad school trying and realizing it was a fool's errand trying to get even an associate professorship in the States after spending all the money and time on a Ph.D, so I only read non-fiction out of spite these days, and am a fan of military history for some reason. I adore this military historian mostly for his editorializations like 'Kesselring could be considered to be a hemorrhoid on the backside of civilization' and his new book just came out: