What are your thoughts on Josh McCown this preseason?

Kekua Zombie

Liked Posts:
You're right, Hill has proven to be a good backup.

The point I'm trying to make is that most teams in the NFL are in the same boat and that McCown is an asset to the team when he is not playing as well as when he is. A lot of backups aren't.

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
Reason to believe in Bears' backup plan

By Michael C. Wright | ESPNChicago.com

BOURBONNAIS, Ill. -- It's crossed your mind. You've pondered the possibility in 2013 for another 2011-esque debacle where Jay Cutler goes down with an injury that forces in a backup quarterback incapable of getting the job done.

Given what transpired that season (how the Bears dropped five of six down the stretch with Cutler on the sideline), it's valid to question whether Josh McCown can carry the team in a pinch. But just know that general manager Phil Emery, the coaches, and the players aren't merely paying lip service when expressing confidence in McCown's ability to successfully fill in for Cutler if the need arises.

They genuinely believe in McCown. I tend to as well.

People within the organization readily admit the cap situation limited what the Bears could do in free agency at the backup quarterback position, which is why they let Jason Campbell bolt for Cleveland. So in a sense, Chicago settled for McCown. But it appears the club is glad it did for multiple reasons extending beyond what McCown provides on the field as a player.

Not long after taking the job as Bears head coach, Marc Trestman witnessed firsthand the depth of McCown's intangibles. Driving in the vicinity of the hotel where the team houses its rookies during the offseason, Trestman decided to stop in and take a look, just to see who he might run into.

When Trestman stepped into the lobby, he saw McCown sitting with the rookies poring over film, and helping them digest loads of new information so they could perform their best once the team hit the practice fields at Halas Hall. McCown had even borrowed a grease board from the hotel so he could draw up plays.

Nobody asked him to do it. He did it on his own. Cutler also became a part of the hotel tutorials, and spent much of his time in that lobby helping the club's rookies learn the system.

That's the type of influence McCown -- described as "fatherly" within the organization -- has on teammates, and why Emery once called him a "glue guy" and that he's "more than confident that he can get on the field and help us win."

But can he?

"I have to," McCown told ESPNChicago.com. "The teammates, everybody expects you to get it done. You've got to get it done. I've played, man. I've played in this league. So it's not like I'm some inexperienced guy who has never done any of this. I feel like I can go in and do the things we need to do to win ballgames, to keep the ship moving. I think just the way we're building our offense -- just having the command, the understanding of what we're doing, and the guys we've got out there -- it is set up for a lot of quarterbacks to be able to come in and function. I'm just thankful they've given me the opportunity."

Obviously, it's somewhat of a concern McCown has played in just six games over the last four years. When McCown filled in for an ineffective Caleb Hanie over the last two games of 2011, he notched a 1-1 record, while completing 64.1 percent of his passes in road games at Green Bay and Minnesota. Had the Bears gone with McCown sooner, perhaps the club could have actually salvaged that season.

Let's not forget McCown came in virtually cold, having signed with the team approximately one month before making his first start.

Weeks before joining the Bears, McCown was working as a high school football coach in North Carolina.

"Back then, it was coach (Mike) Martz's offense, which I was familiar with having played with him in 2006 in Detroit. So I had the familiarity with it. But still, that offense gets tweaked over the years, so it was a little different," McCown said. "Now if I had to play, it would be different. When you start from the ground up, when you start in April, and build a system that you're learning, it's just different because you understand why, the base, the ground floor of it. By the time you've gotten through training camp and into the season, you've put so many layers on it that if you miss the bottom piece, sometimes it becomes hard to understand those layers.

[+] EnlargeJosh McCown
Jason Miller/Getty ImagesJosh McCown stepped in for Caleb Hanie in 2011, completing 64.1 percent of his passes and posting a 1-1 record as the starter.
"So I greatly benefit right now from just being here from April until now. The fun thing is it's a new system for both Jay and I. We've gotten to go through it and learn it together. To be able to test each other, and help each other study, it's been good because you feel like you're getting a good base understanding of what you're trying to do. For me personally, it gives me more confidence going into games."

While it's definitely important for teams to carry backups capable of winning, it's probably equally -- perhaps even more vital -- to find a reserve signal caller who helps in the meeting room, the locker room and on the sideline as another set of eyes to go with those of the quarterbacks coach, head coach, offensive coordinator and the starter.

McCown serves as an extension of Trestman, quarterbacks coach Matt Cavanaugh, offensive coordinator Aaron Kromer, and as a liaison between Cutler and the players because, believe it or not, part of the job is reading the demeanor and body language of teammates, and then relaying that information back to the starting quarterback. From his vantage point on the sideline, McCown also needs to see and diagnose what the opponent is doing schematically, and pass those observations to Cutler.

"Just observing the demeanor of the guys, I might say (to Cutler), 'Hey man, go pick this guy up. Go talk to him,' " McCown said. "He takes more reps than me. He has a lot on his plate as the starting quarterback. Ultimately, you know as well as I do, if the quarterback position is functioning and playing well in an organization, the organization's probably looking good. I understand my role with Jay, and helping him is vital to our team and our organization. I want him to play the best ball he can. I'm thankful to walk alongside coach Trestman and coach Cavanaugh, and just try to be there to help and back up the things they're saying, to reinforce those things, and encourage Jay to just keep trusting what they're doing, because they’ve put a great system in place."

McCown missed the entire 2010 season after flaming out with the Carolina Panthers in 2009, but the perspective gained from that year away is beneficial to the task at hand. At the very least, McCown is so appreciative of the new opportunity, he won't take it for granted by inadequately preparing for an opportunity he's hoping never comes at the expense of Cutler.

"(Being out of football), it stunk. I'm not gonna sit here and act like it was all roses," McCown said. "So many guys get to that point where they're like, 'Man, if I could just go back as a player knowing things I know now, it would be awesome.' Most guys experience that when they're retired and done. I'm just thankful I've gotten to see things through that lens, then get back in as a player where I'm gonna apply some of those things I thought about (when I was coaching high school in North Carolina). I'm gonna apply that to myself as a player, and in my preparation. I hope nothing happens to Jay and everything stays the way it's supposed to be. But if I have to play, I look forward to the opportunity, would relish and embrace it."

To me, it feels damn good the Bears have a backup who goes above and beyond what he is supposed to do and really wants to help the team. Not to mention every report I read from the beat writers say Mccown looked great in training camp and I still think he looked very solid in preseason so far. Last year helooked real good too. I just think some guys on here don't like Mccown because he isn't a big name. I mean for cryin' out loud, some of you are already prediciting Trent Edwards to edge out Mccown(lol), even though Wright and Biggs stated if anything, Edwards and Palmer are fighting Blanchard for a POSSIBLE #3 spot.. Noones taking away Mccowns #2, so relax.

Having a backup that takes away time to work with rookies is tremendous for the morale of the team and the fact that I read alot of guys are willing to bat for Mccown if need be. I never heard the same about Campbell last year or Blanchard. When you have a guy flying out a rookie Alshon Jeffrey to his hometown to board up Jeffrey for 2 weeks so they can run routes together at a local school and go over the playbook, you know you have a guy on your team. What's so wrong with that?

gpphat

2020 CCS Fantasy Football Champ (ESPN League)
Donator
CCS Overall Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Virginia Commonwealth Rams
Let's just hope Cutler doesn't go down or we are going to have to hope the defense plays lights out and Forte can take over games. because McCown won't be winning us many games if the Bears are playing from behind

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I had hoped Blanchard would move up but that's over.

Xplosive

In the Land of the Blind the One Eyed Fan Is Neggd
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
Has anyone else been unimpressed by Josh McCown this preseason? He looks lost and isn't really giving me confidence as being our #2. Too many short dump offs and not a good completion percentage. I'm not sure if it's the new system or what but something seems off about him. I actually thought looked okay last year. I'm pretty bummed Blanchard got hurt because I was hoping he would be our #2. Do you think one of our new QB's has a chance to jump over him on the depth chart?
He sucks and he sucked last year too. He is cheap and good lockeroom guy so I guess he belongs on the team, but if Cutler goes down the season is over. I think McCown can manage the team for 1-2 games or pull out a win agains teams like jacksonville but thats it. I think the bears should be trying to steal a QB from other teams like Tuel from the Bills or BJ Daniels from the 49ers because Blanchard doesn't look.... "Dynamic" as Emery would say.

Jester

White Guy
Liked Posts:
That we are screwed if Cutler gets injured.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
We brought in McCown because he was familiar with Martz' O. The bonus is that he and Jay get along and he knows his role on the team. A great backup QB is a double edge sword. They rarely play or stay for the money/ position being offered. Campbell wanted to start and make starting money. Let him be delusional somewhere else.

I want a "back-up" Qb who believes he can start. There should be potential competition at every position on the team. That's part of jays problem. He can fuck up, play mediocre , not win games AND never have to worry about being benched or losing his job.

Ari Bear

Hall of Famer
Liked Posts:
...Jason Campbell? Mr. Checkdown himself? He played scared shitless against the 49ers and did awful against the Texans. Least Mccown won against the Vikings and halfway was competitive against the Pack.
:andruw: Ok first all, the 49ers and the Texans are better teams and second, career stat wise Campbell is CLEARLY better than McCown.

Ari Bear

Hall of Famer
Liked Posts:
That we are screwed if Cutler gets injured.
Heck if he were to go down with a season ending injury say like in the 1st qtr of the first game against the Bengals, we wouldnt win more than 5 games the rest of the season..

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
They should offer him an assistant coaching job

Alterego

Master Debater
Donator
Liked Posts:
There's a reason why he's played for so many teams and we just signed two back up QBs.

Bears4Ever_34

Liked Posts:
Sucks that Blanchard got hurt because I believe he really could have made a push to be the backup had he outplayed Josh McCown this pre-season, which wouldn't have been that hard to do.

I don't blame the Bears for going the route they did in the off-season by not going after a quarterback, but next year, it'd be nice to have a young promising rookie that Trestman can develop.

CutlersCorner

Liked Posts:
To answer the OP's question.. my thoughts on Joshy.

BOOO!!

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
He is what I thought he was...

Fucking A on Tapatalk

Silverwulf

Liked Posts:
McCown has been absolutely dreadful so far ... and yes, Blanchard has just flat out outplayed him.
Let's hope Palmer or Edwards has something to offer, cause McCown should be coaching from the sideline and never allowed on the field again.

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
:andruw: Ok first all, the 49ers and the Texans are better teams and second, career stat wise Campbell is CLEARLY better than McCown.

Heck if he were to go down with a season ending injury say like in the 1st qtr of the first game against the Bengals, we wouldnt win more than 5 games the rest of the season..

McCown is better than Campbell but why the hate on Blanchard? He's looked way better than McCown this year.
How would have McCown fared against the Niners and Texans last year? And using the "at least McCown beat the Viking argument is plain dumb...the defense scored as many TD's as he did...he was 15/25 for 160 yards, 1TD, 1Int, and had 2 fumbles (luckily recovered by the Bears)...all against a team that was 3-13 without AP. So do yourself a favor and try and find a new argument because that is a very weak one. You are trying to compare Campbell who had to play against 2 of the best defenses last year vs McCown who beat a team who had the 3rd worst record in the NFL and he was not competitive against the Packers, the Bears lost by 14 points and coincidently McCown threw 2 ints.

I in no way want Campbell back and for this year the Bears are going to have to deal with having a weak backup...it actually wouldn't surprise me if Edwards or Palmer play well enough in the preseason to edge McCown, but I think McCown will be Cutler's primary backup. But I do believe next year McCown won't be with the Bears regardless if Cutler is signed or not.

80451-goodfellas-laughing-gif-Imgur-mWjs.gif

Desperado34-Really? I thought he looked good for a #2. Oh! You mean..Dumpoffs. Where Trestman was quoted as saying he didn't want Josh to get injured so t hey had him staying out of harms way and in minimal plays that kept him in 3-6 step drops.

So, nope. You're wrong. Again, it's cute the Blanchard talk never stops.. Which is always laughable. The whole organization loves Mccown(including players,coaches and Phil Emery) yet Bear fans just refuse to accept that he's agood #2 qb and goes above and beyond what is asked.

Noone will take over Mccown as the #2, Blanchard is not going to either. Just as Caleb Hanie was never going to take over Jay Cutlers spot.

Ari Bear

Hall of Famer
Liked Posts:

I also said that before the start of last season. Nobody was expecting McCown to go 13td's and 1 int's. And most were predicting(before they fell apart) the Texans to make the playoffs.

Sent from my HTC Droid DNA using Tapatalk 2