What Bears 4-3 can look like....suggestions?

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
DE = Quinn & Blackson
DT = Tonga & Nichols
WL B = Roquan
MLB= Trevis Gipson
SLB = Mack
CB = Graham & JJ
S = Jackson & Bush

With current roster....obviously need some upgrades, but not many....not crazy about the Safeties, Blackson a back-up, Nichols hasn't improved since rookie season, but a back -up....I'm very intrigued about Gipson...he showed flashes of being very good...ditto Tonga....i'd like to c coaching get these two to the next level.
Mack was all-pro one year at DE in a 4-3

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
If Roquan is not a perfect fit we should be able to get at least a 1st for him ?
He would be a perfect weak side LB, he would have his best year yet

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
yes....but y is it needed? if the ideas r communicated, y would that be important? And who would ask a question like that anyway?

You're the one who claimed to be superior thanks to being taught READING COMPREHENSION in school. Paragraphs are vital to communicating ideas in written form. Which is something you definitely should have learned when they taught you READING COMPREHENSION.

I recommend chilling the fuck out.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Anyways you moved a bunch of guys to positions they don't play and included players not under contract.

Current roster:

DE; Mack, Quinn
DT: Edwards, Goldman/Tonga
LB: Smith, Ogletree, Jones
CB: Johnson, Graham
S: Jackson, Bush

They obviously need to add to that. Middle Linebacker is a priority. A SLB would be nice but given Eberflus has run nickel heavy that's not a priority. Still Ogletree is terrible and Jones isn't much better so ideally neither is on the team next year.

In Nickel, I would expect them to move Mack inside for some packages, or even Gipson to 3 technique in sure passing situations. A 3 technique is vital to this defense(why Colts traded for Buckner) and the Bears don't have one right now on the roster. Edwards is probably the closest, but having an impact player there is very important.
Ogletree, Jones, and Bush are free agents.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The differences are between what he has done and what is required to do are far greater than you are suggesting. Dude has probably never scraped a block, stacked and shedded. He was in the dirt the vast majority of his college snaps. You notice how, in what you linked, every single comment, positive and negative, is about playing DL, and that his comp is Roy Robertson-Harris? Definite SAM prospect.

And yes it does matter if a guy who has no clue how to play SAM plays SAM for 1 of every 4 plays for an NFL team.

I believe that is why they have coaches. You are exaggerating the differences in the same way you think I am downplaying them. Again we will see soon enough.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
I believe that is why they have coaches. You are exaggerating the differences in the same way you think I am downplaying them. Again we will see soon enough.
No I'm not - I played defensive end in college. How many college defensive ends get drafted, play on the ball for several years, and them move to an off ball position?

You're just making things up.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Who wants to give Adams 25-30 mil a year and give Fields that weapon. Bears, do Bears things after hiring a defensive HC and spend money on defense. Poles FA cycle this year. 23 will be a non FA cycle when the draft picks are back in play @Raskolnikov ..

DE: Mack, Quinn, Gipson
NT: Blackson, Tonga
3T: Hicks (Resigned), Edwards Jr
SLB: Christian Jones (Resigned), Ogletree (Resigned)
MLB: Christian Kirksey (FA)
WLB: Roquan
CB: JJ, Donte Jackson (FA)
NB: Darious Williams (FA)
S: EJax
S: Tyrann Mathieu (FA)
Couldn’t Nichols be a 3-tech?

FozzyBear

Token CCS Minority
Liked Posts:

Possibly, but Im letting him walk and using an oversized hicks.. age, injury, and stupid penalty concerns.. but when hes got it going.. its going..

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
No I'm not - I played defensive end in college. How many college defensive ends get drafted, play on the ball for several years, and them move to an off ball position?

You're just making things up.

A DE and a 3-4 OLB have different responsibilities as a 3-4 OLB plays in space more and not with their hand down all the time.

Rosey Colvin was a DL in college and then played SLB on early downs and then DE on passing downs for the Bears in Lovie's Tampa 2. Hence why I referenced him. Pretty sure Bruce Irven used to do it in Seattle as well ie play SLB on early downs then DE on passing downs as a guy like Michael Bennet used to kick inside from DE to 3T.

So again no point debating. We will just have to see what happens.

Last edited:

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Possibly, but Im letting him walk and using an oversized hicks.. age, injury, and stupid penalty concerns.. but when hes got it going.. its going..

Not sure you can afford either given other holes. Probably just best to roll with Blackson/Edwards and maybe work Mack in on passing downs.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
A DE and a 3-4 OLB have different responsibilities as a 3-4 OLB plays in space more and not with their hand down all the time.

Rosey Colvin was a DL in college and then played SLB on early downs and then DE on passing downs for the Bears in Lovie's Tampa 2. Hence why I referenced him.

So again no point debating. We will just have to see what happens.
He was a DE in college and played with his hand in the dirt a lot with the Bears, who were also in Nickel like 65% of the time. He never lined up off the ball and played like a 4-3 LB, reading through OL to backfield. Switching levels of defense is very tough. Sometimes you have a guy like Isaiah Simmons who is sort of a hybrid SS/LB but its rare. I can't think of anyone who made the switch from EDGE to off ball LB mid career.

I doubt you followed how Colvin was deployed at Purdue.

If you don't want to debate, you are free to stop at any time.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
He was a DE in college and played with his hand in the dirt a lot with the Bears, who were also in Nickel like 65% of the time. He never lined up off the ball and played like a 4-3 LB, reading through OL to backfield. Switching levels of defense is very tough. Sometimes you have a guy like Isaiah Simmons who is sort of a hybrid SS/LB but its rare. I can't think of anyone who made the switch from EDGE to off ball LB mid career.

I doubt you followed how Colvin was deployed at Purdue.

If you don't want to debate, you are free to stop at any time.

Yes I am aware he was a DE in college and that he plays with his hand down alot now. I dont think the transition to playing standing up is as much a transition as you make it out to be as he already does some of that now.

Colvin and Irvin played on the DL in college. It was not that unusual for some 4-3 teams to have a guy play SLB and then drop down to DE on passing down.

We all agree he hasnt done it much. The question is does he have the skillset and the fact is Gipson has the agility to do so per his scouting report. Whether that is the route the new HC wants to go in remains to be seen.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Yes I am aware he was a DE in college and that he plays with his hand down alot now. I dont think the transition to playign standing up is as much a transition as you make it out tonbe as he already does some of that now.

Colvin and Irvin played on the DL in college. It was not that unusual for some 4-3 teams to have a guy play SLB and then drop down to DE on passing down.

The fact is Gipson has the agility to do so per his scouting report. Whether that is the route the new HC wants to go in remains to be seen.
No, you have no idea how Colvin played in college - and either way, he was drafted to play SAM. It's not a transition to 'standing up.' It's a transition to playing a different level of the field, with different types of reads, different keys and a significantly different skill set.

The scouting report does not say that Gipson has the agility to play off ball LB - and that is again not even what's at issue. It's not about agility. Mack has more agility than Gipson, why not move him to SAM?

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
No, you have no idea how Colvin played in college - and either way, he was drafted to play SAM. It's not a transition to 'standing up.' It's a transition to playing a different level of the field, with different types of reads, different keys and a significantly different skill set.

The scouting report does not say that Gipson has the agility to play off ball LB - and that is again not even what's at issue. It's not about agility. Mack has more agility than Gipson, why not move him to SAM?

He was listed as DL per CFR. He was not drafted to play SAM. He was always a tweener. Urlacher was supposed to play SAM but couldnt take on blocks so was moved to MLB eventually. You dont get 10 sacks back to back playing SAM. He dropped down to DE on passing downs as Phil Daniels would move inside to replaxe one of the two fatties we had under Jauron.

The scouting report says he has the agility to track and tackle in space.

Mack is more of a power and speed combo which is better suited to playing DE in base and moving inside possibly in some nickel packages ala Michael Bennet in the event you want Quinn/Mack/Gipson on the field at same time sometimes.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
He was listed as DL per CFR. He was not drafted to play SAM. He was always a tweener. Urlacher was suppose to play SAM but couldnt take on blocks so was moved to MLB eventually. You dont get 10 sacks back to back playing SAM.

The scouting report says he has the agility to track and tackle in space.
I read the scouting report. It has nothing to do with playing off ball LB.

Colvin was a something of a tweener (but he was drafted as that). Gipson is not.

Draftnetwork on Gipson's standup ability, if we are doing college scouting reports:

Stand Up Ability - Wouldn't endorse him playing pass coverage reps, didn't see a lot of that on film and he's not a comfortable tackler in space. His upside to stand up reps would be gaining additional leverage as an outside-in run defender who gets better leverage for contain as end man on the LOS.

Last edited:

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I read the scouting report. It has nothing to do with playing off ball LB.

Colvin was a something of a tweener (but he was drafted as that). Gipson is not.

It is a projection. The point is he is not some lumbering athlete who looks to be completely incapable of playing SLB on run downs.

There is a difference between someone not being asked to do it a lot vs not having the ability to do it. I think Gipson is the former. The skillset is there to play a Rosy Colvin role IMO.

Get the best players on the field that gives the D flexibility. The SLB is coming off in nickel as usually it is the WLB and MLB that stay on. So developing a guy that play reps at both SLB/DE is a benefit to the D.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
It is a projection. The point is hebis not some lumbering athlete who looks tonbe completely incapable of playing SLB on run downs.

There is a difference between someone not being asked to do it a lot vs not having the ability to do it. I think Gipson is the former. The skillset is there to play a Rosy Colvin role IMO.
That's fine, but no one who scouts football agrees with you. They all treat him as a EDGE and most liked him more as a hand in the dirt player.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
That's fine, but no one who scouts football agrees with you. They all treat him as a EDGE and most liked him more as a hand in the dirt player.

This is a silly argument. I like him at Edge as well with his hand in the dirt. No one would have brought it up before because it would not have come up before. He was drafted in a 3-4 where it is obvious he is an OLB.

It is also obvious he is an Edge in a 4-3 but we have Mack and Quinn so the only reason it is coming up is to see if there is a way to get all 3 on the field at the same time.

I know of no scout that is psychic and thus would have comtemplated this scenario back when he was drafted. So the question is does he possess skills to play SLB 20-25% of the time on largely run downs. I think the answer is yes.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
This is a silly argument. I like him at Edge as well with his hand in the dirt. No one would have brought it up before because it would not have come up before. He was drafted in a 3-4 where it is obvious he is an OLB.

It is also obvious he is an Edge in a 4-3 but we have Mack and Quinn so the only reason it is coming up is to see if there is a way to get all 3 on the field at the same time.

I know of no scout that is psychic and thus would have comtemplated this scenario back when he was drafted. So the question is does he possess skills to play SLB 20-25% of the time on largely run downs. I think the answer is yes.

He's not a linebacker. Why would you want him playing SLB on running downs? He's not a space player, and he'd be an absolute liability in coverage.

It's far more likely he plays 3 technique in passing situations then SLB. As it stands, I would expect them to use either him or even Mack there. He's a pass rusher.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
Base 4-3

DE: Quinn, Mack
DT: Goldman/Tonga, Blackson/Edwards
SLB: Gipson
MLB: Trevathan
WLB: Smith
S: Jackson, DHC/Bush

Nickel

DE: Quinn, Gipson
DT: Blackson/Edwards, Mack
MLB: Johnson
WLB: Smith
S: DHC, Bush
NB: Jackson

Blackson would be the 3T as he has some decent pass rush skills. Gipson would play a Rosy Colvin role as a SAM on rundowns and DE on passing downs with Mack sliding inside at 3T. DT costs more money to cut than to keep so his hobbled ass would play MLB for now. Jackson started playing more NB which keeps him closer to the action and engaged.

Realistically I would expect them to go looking for MLB, CB and S. Possibly a true 3T for the future.
You really think they're keeping Goldman who sucked as a NT and his $8M salary to pretend to be a 3T ? LOL

Devonte Wyatt in the 3rd ?