What Bears 4-3 can look like....suggestions?

marioworld

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
DL is pretty much a no brainer,
hopefully Mack can stay healthy,
Quinn at least Has one leg,
and enough fatties in the middle on rotation.

Roquan Smith at Will, he could play any spot really.
Christian Jones at Sam with Caleb Johnson to challenge for the spot.
Alec Ogletree at Mike, would rather a healthy Danny Trevathan.

Pick up a good S (Quandre Diggs, Seahawks) and CB (J.C. Jackson, Pats) in FA

Maybe I'm dreaming, would be nice if we could fill the secondary in house.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
DeForest Buckner was their 3 technique the last two years and was elite.
Not a classic 3 tech though. Not a one gap shooter type player. He win by taking on blocks with length.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
Not a classic 3 tech though. Not a one gap shooter type player. He win by taking on blocks with length.

I feel like you haven't watched him play. He's incredibly quick and disruptive. He just happens to be tall. He was constantly shooting the b-gap as a pass rusher, and he could hold up blockers in the run game.

He's literally the best 3 technique outside of Aaron Donald.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
I feel like you haven't watched him play. He's incredibly quick and disruptive. He just happens to be tall. He was constantly shooting the b-gap as a pass rusher, and he could hold up blockers in the run game.

He's literally the best 3 technique outside of Aaron Donald.
I've watched him play a bunch. He plays more like a 5 tech imo, a really good 5 tech. But imo he wins more with length than with being low and shooting like pretty much all classic 5 techs, Donald, Sapp, McCoy, Harris. Doesn't mean he's not quick or disruptive. He's a freak.

This is a pay site, but Indianapolis Star from 2021:
Buckner's rushing style is unlike any other 3-technique, a blend of length and power that makes the Colts star completely unique.

Tough to be a unicorn and also a conventional 3 tech.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Base 4-3

DE: Quinn, Mack
DT: Goldman/Tonga, Blackson/Edwards
SLB: Gipson
MLB: Trevathan
WLB: Smith
CB: Johnson, Graham
S: Jackson, DHC/Bush

Nickel

DE: Quinn, Gipson
DT: Blackson/Edwards, Mack
MLB: Johnson
S: DHC, Bush
NB: Jackson

Blackson would be the 3T as he has some decent pass rush skills. Gipson would play a Rosy Colvin role as a SAM on rundowns and DE on passing downs with Mack sliding inside at 3T. DT costs more money to cut than to keep so his hobbled ass would play MLB for now. Jackson started playing more NB which keeps him closer to the action and engaged.

Realistically I would expect them to go looking for MLB, CB and S. Possibly a true 3T for the future.

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
Der Flus primarily runs a 4-2-5.

A traditional 4-3 in today's game is asking to get shredded to pieces by simple quick slants, drag routes, or any situation even the most clueless OC can put a shifty slot WR on a slow fucking Sam/Will--unless you have 3 hyper-athletic LBs that are as fast/quick as safeties, are 100% that the offense is going for a run play, or have at least 2 DE/DT that are consistently disruptive/unblockable by 1 OL. The 4-2-5 balances that with a nickel and active safety help for the run game.

Why people don't take 2 seconds of effort to understand the difference--or just chalk it up to 4-3 because they're lazy--IDK. It is CCS after all.

Also, LOL at posters who think a 3-4 edge rusher can just transition to Sam so that position is set. Probably thought Tillman should have moved to safety because safeties are slow old CBs...

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Gipson has never played off the ball in his life.

He will rotate in at EDGE, same as he has always done.

MarkBear

?⬇️
Liked Posts:
What's funny, is I thought about Gipson a MLB ...but I don't think he has it upstairs to be QB of D.

Mack was All Pro DE...him and Quinn are D Ends

Ogletree at MLB
Travis is a DE too…he played DE in college

MarkBear

?⬇️
Liked Posts:
DT: Goldman, Tonga
If that front four could stay healthy and play to its ability this defense has a chance of being really damn good. The more pressure they can put up front the easier things become for our secondary.
I believe they will be trading Goldman

dennehy

Liked Posts:
The defense is extremely thin, obviously, and needs an overhaul. Except for EDGE, where the Bears are in the top few in the league, they need guys everywhere. At least one starting S and backups. One off ball LB who you know can play consistently, need at least two more. One established corner. Very thin on DL.

They are going to have to sign at least five or so starting caliber players on defense in FA.

DeerBrinker34

Liked Posts:
Base 4-3

DT: Goldman/Tonga, Blackson/Edwards
SLB: Gipson
MLB: Trevathan
S: Jackson, DHC/Bush

Nickel

DE: Quinn, Gipson
DT: Blackson/Edwards, Mack
MLB: Johnson
S: DHC, Bush
NB: Jackson

Blackson would be the 3T as he has some decent pass rush skills. Gipson would play a Rosy Colvin role as a SAM on rundowns and DE on passing downs with Mack sliding inside at 3T. DT costs more money to cut than to keep so his hobbled ass would play MLB for now. Jackson started playing more NB which keeps him closer to the action and engaged.

Realistically I would expect them to go looking for MLB, CB and S. Possibly a true 3T for the future.
Trevis Gipson will be a DE in this defense.

DE: Mack/Gipson
DT: Blackson
NT: Goldman/Tonga
DE: Quinn
SLB: free agent/rookie
MLB: free agent/rookie
WLB: Roquan
CB: Johnson
CB: Graham
FS: Jackson
SS: free agent/rookie
NB: Shelly/Vildor

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Mario Edwards has played 3 tech in the past.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Gipson has never played off the ball in his life.

He will rotate in at EDGE, same as he has always done.

It is a bit of a projection but he moves and tackles well in space per his scouting report. Also looked ok in coverage this year.

Bears run nickel or dime 75% of the time so we are talking 25% of the time they will be in base in mainly 2 WR sets and 15-20% of that will be run plays. So you are talking 5-10% of the time he would have to be in coverage and most likely zone not man. He was in coverage about 5% of his snaps this year.

Dejo

Godfather of FTO
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Real Salt Lake
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Utah Jazz
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Utah Utes
Hicks might need to come back as 3-technique. Danny T is probably a SLB. Roquan is the Will.

Not sure on MLB.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Trevis Gipson will be a DE in this defense.

DE: Mack/Gipson
DT: Blackson
NT: Goldman/Tonga
DE: Quinn
SLB: free agent/rookie
MLB: free agent/rookie
WLB: Roquan
CB: Johnson
CB: Graham
FS: Jackson
SS: free agent/rookie
NB: Shelly/Vildor

Yes hence why I had him at DE in Nickel which we run 75% of the time. Base 4-3 again only gets run 25% of time and in 2 WR and heavy sets.

He already played coverage 5% of the time this year and in the 25% you are in base teams run most of the time because it is their 2 WR or heavy sets. But the bulk of his time would be spent rotating in at DE in the nickel D.

The reality now is that Nickel is really your base D given how much 11 personnel teams run and the 4-3 or 3-4 is basically your run down defense.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Hicks might need to come back as 3-technique. Danny T is probably a SLB. Roquan is the Will.

Not sure on MLB.

Blackson and Edwards can rotate at 3T. Unless Hicks is cheap not worth it IMO.