What can a new GM do with this?

Doubledown

Liked Posts:
This is all on George and Ted. Neither of these guys could see years ago what most novice fans were screaming about. Yet is still amazed me how some people still found a silver lining in things that Pace did.
And what did they Expect with a Rookie QB. Ownership is a Clown show.

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

What can a new GM do with this?​

dump all the vets and try and recoup as much draft capitol back as you can include some of our over rated younger guys in the same scenario

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
So a new gm and a new coach can pretty much turn over the roster to their liking? Not like we're winning a super bowl next season. 2023 is when the money and capital should be better

Liked Posts:
What a bunch of drama queens.

Pace inherited a much worse situation and roster after Emery, and turned it around. And he’s the guy who’s to blame for this current situation.

So if Pace can do it, why can’t any other average GM? This situation is 10x better…. 100x if Fields works out.

Happens every year, it’s how nfl teams operate. It’s gonna be ok, calm down.

stelz

Heavily Medicated
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Pace inherited a much worse situation and roster after Emery, and turned it around. And he’s the guy who’s to blame for this current situation.

So if Pace can do it, why can’t any other average GM? This situation is 10x better…. 100x if Fields works out.

Fuck off with your name calling and bullshit condescension, asshole

Last edited:

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
Does anyone else thinl the board told George if he fucks this hiring up, he's done ?

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Much ado abut nothing.

Bears are fucked next season due to Pace's kick the cap down the road, but will have $106M+ available and all draft picks in 2023 by making no roster moves. I fully expect the new GM to make some big moves, i.e. trading Mack, Quinn, cut Danny T, EJ by next offseason.

This team will be purged of dead weight and aging vets taking the cap hit lumps needed and built up around Justin Fields.

#calledit.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

I agree with this sentiment. Too many people just giving in to rote Bears pathos.

You can make this team competitive in 1 year and a legit playoff contender in 2. The roster is in a lot better shape than most fans realize - to make a playoff roster, you do need explosive blue chippers, which the Bears do lack, but you also need glue guys of a certain level who are productive and above average at their spots. The Bears have a LOT of those guys from Pace's middle rounds. The middle to bottom of the roster is solid, even with the losses and turnover. Thus the openings will allow a good GM to bring in play makers.

If the Bears get the right GM and coach, this whole thing can be turned around quickly.

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I dont get it

So the bears would be in better shape if more of a below average roster was still on the books?

Get rid of them all besides a few pieces

stelz

Heavily Medicated
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I agree with this sentiment. Too many people just giving in to rote Bears pathos.

You can make this team competitive in 1 year and a legit playoff contender in 2. The roster is in a lot better shape than most fans realize - to make a playoff roster, you do need explosive blue chippers, which the Bears do lack, but you also need glue guys of a certain level who are productive and above average at their spots. The Bears have a LOT of those guys from Pace's middle rounds. The middle to bottom of the roster is solid, even with the losses and turnover. Thus the openings will allow a good GM to bring in play makers.

If the Bears get the right GM and coach, this whole thing can be turned around quickly.

I don’t mind the sentiment, just don’t be a shriveled dick about it.

In argument, tho…The Bears have only five draft choices, and they begin in the middle of the second round. That’s not very many or much comparative value. ?

The only guys under contract that anyone would trade for are Khalil Mack and Robert Quinn. Danny Travaithan has next to no value. Mack has been unavailable for significant percentages of the past two seasons. What could you seriously get for him? That being said, get all you can.

Quinn is under contract till 2025…he’s their best player on defense, outside of Roquan. JJ is solid. I’d want to keep Quinn, so you have three legitimate players, particularly if the new DC would line RQ at DE. If someone wants to give silly draft choices for Quinn, take them and try to rehabilitate KM back into an available difference maker. With Mack you’re damned if you do and damned if you don’t as far as the cap hit. Eddie Jackson is being paid like a superstar and is FAR from that.

Your OL is holes and question marks. You have a solid number two receiver and nothing else at WR. You have a guy at TE, and that’s it. Your franchise quarterback is a question mark at best.

Then there is the salary cap, with it’s voidable years and dead cap hits. A significant percentage of the cap will be taken up by guys not on the team or not contributing nearly what their cap hits are worth. Pace managed it like the Bears were a super bowl contender (or a POS GM desperate to hold on into his job.)

I get the fact that a new GM is not likely to be coming into an ideal situation….and it’s not.

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I get the fact that a new GM is not likely to be coming into an ideal situation….and it’s not.

if he was expected to win year one, yes but he probably wont be. this will be a year to gut the team and it should have happened last season

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
The State of the Bears: Commentary — Windy City Gridiron

Void contracts, little draft capital, holes all over the roster. Here’s reasons prospective GM’s might not want to come to

Now I have a crazy idea here…. So bear with me folks…..

How about we hire a new GM for longer than one year? Since this may be a 2-3 year job?

crazy? Maybe if we give say a 4-5 year contract some poor GM might want to come here? I mean I know there’s 4 of these jobs available right now so there’s just a ton of openings! But I think we can find some poor sap somewhere to take this terrible job!

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
There are only 31 GM jobs in the NFL (Cowboys don't offer that role to anyone).

If you are on the operations side of the NFL those are the highest paying jobs someone can have.

Sure, there's maybe the odd candidate that chooses another opportunity over the Bears, but it's fair to say most candidates would love an opportunity to work with whatever situation they inherit.

Actually taking on a crappy situation could give someone an extra 1-2 years in their turnaround, so it could be a good thing.

Last edited: