What can a new GM do with this?

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
No one wants to hire a GM for one year, no one’s saying it’s a terrible job. And yes, they gave an idiot seven years.

If you were a GM candidate, maybe there are situations elsewhere where you could come in and make more of an immediate impact. Maybe if you were eager, and wanted to put your stamp on a draft class, you’d want more than five picks and what you could get for a broken down Khalil Mack. Maybe you would be put off by all the dead cap hits. Maybe you would want to draft your own quarterback.

Of course you are going to find a guy who wants to be GM of the Bears and is willing to build around JF.

The question is anything about the situation off putting for the top candidates and are there more attractive situations out there. You want to get the top candidate, if you can…and are you able to do that either with where the Bears are at?

There’s so much “it’s all this way or it’s all that way” and would be alphas pissing on their shoes here. Life isn’t black and white and neither is the situation with the Bears.
There is no “top candidate”. There’s like 10+ guys qualified to do the job. They will get someone “good”. Time and a shit load of luck will determine if it’s the right person or not. But again there is no top guy we should be worried about missing out on. That’s the least of my concerns

stelz

Heavily Medicated
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
There is no “top candidate”. There’s like 10+ guys qualified to do the job. They will get someone “good”. Time and a shit load of luck will determine if it’s the right person or not. But again there is no top guy we should be worried about missing out on. That’s the least of my concerns

That’s more like it. And I would disagree, and say that Rick Smith is the top candidate, as he has been a GM before and successfully hit on tons of number one draft choices and drafted a franchise quarterback.

Last edited:

stelz

Heavily Medicated
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
And that’s another question, did he ignore dirt about that QB. What did he learn from that? And another: would he feel constrained by the Bears insistence on “high character guys” that over the years has seemed to manifest itself as slow, unathletic white guys from Notre Dame. That’s an exaggeration but there you go. It’s not Sunday school

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
That’s more like it. And I would disagree, and say that Rick Smith is the top candidate, as he has successfully hit on number one draft choices and drafted a franchise quarterback.
Has Rick Smith even interviewed with anyone yet? Honest question. I haven’t heard anything about him in days.

Dodd seems like the prettiest girl at the ball right now with the most interest from people.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
No one wants to hire a GM for one year, no one’s saying it’s a terrible job. And yes, they gave an idiot seven years.

If you were a GM candidate, maybe there are situations elsewhere where you could come in and make more of an immediate impact. Maybe if you were eager, and wanted to put your stamp on a draft class, you’d want more than five picks and what you could get for a broken down Khalil Mack. Maybe you would be put off by all the dead cap hits. Maybe you would want to draft your own quarterback.

Of course you are going to find a guy who wants to be GM of the Bears and is willing to build around JF.

The question is anything about the situation off putting for the top candidates and are there more attractive situations out there. You want to get the top candidate, if you can…and are you able to do that with where the Bears are at?

There’s so much “it’s all this way or it’s all that way” and would be alphas pissing on their shoes here. Life isn’t black and white and neither is the situation with the Bears.
Imagine being a candidate for one of the 3 top NFL positions available and being so myopic you were only able to see what the next11 months looks like. Imagine hiring a guy that lacked that much vision.

Oh and :

stelz

Heavily Medicated
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Has Rick Smith even interviewed with anyone yet? Honest question. I haven’t heard anything about him in days.

I don’t know. Tons of articles saying the Bears want him, one I saw where the interest was mutual. He’s not employed so it doesn’t have to be publicized…

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers

Dodd seems like the prettiest girl at the ball right now with the most interest from people.
I am warming up to a Schoen/ Deboll pairing myself.

stelz

Heavily Medicated
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Imagine being a candidate for one of the 3 top NFL positions available and being so myopic you were only able to see what the next11 months looks like. Imagine hiring a guy that lacked that much vision.

Oh and :

You got me there, BRO. LOL!!!

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I don’t know. Tons of articles saying the Bears want him, one I saw where the interest was mutual. He’s not employed so it doesn’t have to be publicized…
Most of that stuff was from days ago. I really haven’t heard anything lately. It’s a little weird.

Bearsgonewild

Liked Posts:
I find it hilarious (and sad) that the Bears are so "impressed" with some of the candidates, GM and HC.

It's because what we had, wasn't very good!!!!!

How are they going to break the cycle of "looks good to us" but in reality, it sucks? The same people are in charge of making the same hirings.

I Just Want To Read

Liked Posts:
I feel like we need to punt hard on this coming season.

Stop kicking the can on the salary cap troubles. Liquidate the defensive talent. Trade for future picks.

So I'm very much hoping they're giving full autonomy to a GM for like 3 years to build this up slowly (and correctly).

greg23

Liked Posts:
Wait.....gm openings don't come with a young super bowl roster, franchise qb, tons of cap.space and multiple 1st and 2nd round picks for years to come?

All these candidates sould pass on the bears opportunity as they're a dime a dozen

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
Exactly.

No one is expecting this to be a one year turnaround. Just that some of us see the nature of parity in the NFL, and realize that if the Bears can fix the offense in one season, which IS possible, then just by virtue of that, the Bears would be in contention of playoff spots 5, 6, or 7.

And while some people express shock at that, just look at Dallas, the Cardinals, the Raiders, etc this year - you don't think the Bears can be one of THOSE teams next year?

I think they can. Not because those teams are great either - but because there actually is a thin line between the talent on those teams and the Bears. Part of the reason fans don't see that is because they buy into the hype of ESPN about some of these teams and players, but when you see them go up against real playoff contenders, you see what they really are.

Bears easily could be one of those teams after one season, which for them would be a step up.
Totally agree, the margin is small to get to the bottom seeds but massive compared to the top 2-3 teams, most are average or awful and unwatchable.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:

I don't think he's had any interviews, only one heard that's to happen is with the Bears near end of 1st round,

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Totally agree, the margin is small to get to the bottom seeds but massive compared to the top 2-3 teams, most are average or awful and unwatchable.

That's exactly it, and they over-rate clubs that do really well in the regular season. The stone cold reality is that you need clubs that can still keep it up against better talent.

Its one of the reasons why I want to see how Joe Burrow does. Beating up on the raiders and only by a touchdown doesn't tell me a ton. But I will say the Bengals have the luxury of an easier road to the championship game. Although those 2 will just be playing for the right to get paddled by the winner of Buffalo/KC...