What can a new GM do with this?

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I agree with this sentiment. Too many people just giving in to rote Bears pathos.

You can make this team competitive in 1 year and a legit playoff contender in 2. The roster is in a lot better shape than most fans realize - to make a playoff roster, you do need explosive blue chippers, which the Bears do lack, but you also need glue guys of a certain level who are productive and above average at their spots. The Bears have a LOT of those guys from Pace's middle rounds. The middle to bottom of the roster is solid, even with the losses and turnover. Thus the openings will allow a good GM to bring in play makers.

If the Bears get the right GM and coach, this whole thing can be turned around quickly.
No, you can't.

msadows

Liked Posts:
If I was looking at the Bears’ GM spot, I would look at how bad Pace left the franchise yet got 7 years of steady employment? Sign me up.

Literally some goobers on here think George and the McCaskeys are a deterrent for prospective GM's

How in the world would massive job security compared to your peers be a deterrent?

Sure, George and Ginny might suck at running a team, but as far as being bosses they are as good as they come in the NFL. Emery was the worst GM I ever seen and that goober even got 3 years.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
if he was expected to win year one, yes but he probably wont be. this will be a year to gut the team and it should have happened last season

Exactly.

No one is expecting this to be a one year turnaround. Just that some of us see the nature of parity in the NFL, and realize that if the Bears can fix the offense in one season, which IS possible, then just by virtue of that, the Bears would be in contention of playoff spots 5, 6, or 7.

And while some people express shock at that, just look at Dallas, the Cardinals, the Raiders, etc this year - you don't think the Bears can be one of THOSE teams next year?

I think they can. Not because those teams are great either - but because there actually is a thin line between the talent on those teams and the Bears. Part of the reason fans don't see that is because they buy into the hype of ESPN about some of these teams and players, but when you see them go up against real playoff contenders, you see what they really are.

Bears easily could be one of those teams after one season, which for them would be a step up.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
If I was looking at the Bears’ GM spot, I would look at how bad Pace left the franchise yet got 7 years of steady employment? Sign me up.
That’s what I was saying too. Ownership has pretty low ass standards.

Collins77

Liked Posts:
It's a tough situation. If you try to win in next two years it means keeping Mack, Quinn, and extending Hicks. Also need a LT, and two starting CBs and two more WRs. That's a lot of $$ and I'm not sure then we have the talent to compete with the Bengals/Titans/Bills or those top teir teams.
If it's a 2/3 rebuild, you can get some decent value for Mack or Quinn. That would give a Lil ammo for the draft either this year or next. It also let's you build the team thru the draft and less free agent signings , which usually kills the cap # pretty quick.
In my opinion, for the long term I say let's rebuild and get younger instead of consistently trying the quick fix.

BradyJay

Liked Posts:
but but but....they have a young qb that might not be a bust!!

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Reading your posts on this matter is proof positive you don't have a clue what your talking about.

All you do is talk about what other people don't know - meanwhile all your predictions for the season went straight into the toilet. You don't have an actual argument.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
All you do is talk about what other people don't know - meanwhile all your predictions for the season went straight into the toilet. You don't have an actual argument.
No, he predicted the Lions would suck. But that’s like predicting water is wet….

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You're a Lions fans. That automatically disqualifies you from knowing what you are talking about.
The Bears O line is a hot mess, No decent tight end, and only one sub-par WR. A 2nd year QB that no one is even sure about.

Mack and Quin are on the back ends of their careers, and might have had some decent trade value to a team going all in this coming year had not Pace back-loaded their contracts to the point they now have no trade value. By 2024-5 they will be long gone.

The Bears secondary is also a mess, with one player worthy of starting. Quan is a solid building block, but will require a significant investment in the future to keep on the roster.

The Bears have zero depth, and injuries happen every year.

They have no draft capital.

They have a terrible cap situation, with almost zero flexibility.

The team the Bears put on the field in 2022 will be significantly worse than the team they put on the field in 2021. There are far too many holes to fill, and while they might regain some draft capital and cap space in 2023, they will also have some major holes to fill, and extensions to sign. Mooney, Quan, Jackson, will all be looking for extensions. Quin and Mack likely gone, needing to be replaced.

Your lucky to get 2-3 starters in any one year, and maybe 2-3 depth pieces with normal draft capital. Bears will be lucky to get one starter this year. Toss in a maybe two depth pieces/special teams players.

stelz

Heavily Medicated
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Now I have a crazy idea here…. So bear with me folks…..

How about we hire a new GM for longer than one year? Since this may be a 2-3 year job?

crazy? Maybe if we give say a 4-5 year contract some poor GM might want to come here? I mean I know there’s 4 of these jobs available right now so there’s just a ton of openings! But I think we can find some poor sap somewhere to take this terrible job!

No one wants to hire a GM for one year, no one’s saying it’s a terrible job. And yes, they gave an idiot seven years.

If you were a GM candidate, maybe there are situations elsewhere where you could come in and make more of an immediate impact. Maybe if you were eager, and wanted to put your stamp on a draft class, you’d want more than five picks and what you could get for a broken down Khalil Mack. Maybe you would be put off by all the dead cap hits. Maybe you would want to draft your own quarterback.

Of course you are going to find a guy who wants to be GM of the Bears and is willing to build around JF.

The question is anything about the situation off putting for the top candidates and are there more attractive situations out there. You want to get the top candidate, if you can…and are you able to do that with where the Bears are at?

There’s so much “it’s all this way or it’s all that way” and would be alphas pissing on their shoes here. Life isn’t black and white and neither is the situation with the Bears.

Last edited:

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Bears O line is a hot mess, No decent tight end, and only one sub-par WR. A 2nd year QB that no one is even sure about.

Mack and Quin are on the back ends of their careers, and might have had some decent trade value to a team going all in this coming year had not Pace back-loaded their contracts to the point they now have no trade value. By 2024-5 they will be long gone.

The Bears secondary is also a mess, with one player worthy of starting. Quan is a solid building block, but will require a significant investment in the future to keep on the roster.

The Bears have zero depth, and injuries happen every year.

They have no draft capital.

They have a terrible cap situation, with almost zero flexibility.

The team the Bears put on the field in 2022 will be significantly worse than the team they put on the field in 2021. There are far too many holes to fill, and while they might regain some draft capital and cap space in 2023, they will also have some major holes to fill, and extensions to sign. Mooney, Quan, Jackson, will all be looking for extensions. Quin and Mack likely gone, needing to be replaced.

Your lucky to get 2-3 starters in any one year, and maybe 2-3 depth pieces with normal draft capital. Bears will be lucky to get one starter this year. Toss in a maybe two depth pieces/special teams players.
You're such a reetard.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
No one wants to hire a GM for one year, no one’s saying it’s a terrible job. And yes, they gave an idiot seven years.

If you were a GM candidate, maybe there are situations elsewhere where you could come in and make more of an immediate impact. Maybe if you were eager, and wanted to put your stamp on a draft class, you’d want more than five picks and what you could get for a broken down Khalil Mack. Maybe you would be put off by all the dead cap hits. Maybe you would want to draft your own quarterback.

Of course you are going to find a guy who wants to be GM of the Bears and is willing to build around JF.

The question is anything about the situation off putting for the top candidates and are there more attractive situations out there.

There’s so much it’s all this way or it’s all that way on this board…. Life isn’t black and white and neither is the situation with the Bears.
Maybe the dingo ate your baby