What do the Bears do when the script gives them the #1 pick next season?

Whats the move

• Trade the pick for an even larger treasure trove.

Votes: 50 75.8%
  • Get what you can with Fields, and draft Caleb Williams.

Votes: 16 24.2%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
What do you do as GM if Justin Fields has a good not great season ( 3600yards, 65%comp , 24TD 8INT, 750 yrds rushing) and leads the Bears to 10-7 record) and the Panthers crash and burn giving the Bears the #1OA.

Assume Caleb Williams tears it up again.

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
To my eye, that is a big enough improvement to warrant moving off the #1 pick. 3:1 ratio is fantastic. However, I don't watch college ball. Are we talking Peyton Manning/Andrew Luck with this Williams guy?

Washington

Liked Posts:
To me, those numbers would be great (3600yards, 65%comp , 24TD 8INT, 750 yrds rushing) for a Bears' QB. We'd be spoiled with QB numbers like that due to the dismal past with QB play. I'd trade the pick at that point. A team could win with those numbers and the potential for even further improvement.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
thats an easy trade the pick for a massive haul especially if williams has another stud year. biggest question on fields was improving his processing and with those numbers i'd say he improved quite a bit so essentially he'll continue to improve

Marley's Liberality

Liked Posts:
I love Fields. If someone loves him more than I then I will love Caleb Williams.

It would be incredibly enticing to reset the rookie contract clock at QB with a supporting offensive cast very much in place and another couple of first round picks (assuming Fields gets you at least 2 #1s)

Forty-six

Liked Posts:
To my eye, that is a big enough improvement to warrant moving off the #1 pick. 3:1 ratio is fantastic. However, I don't watch college ball. Are we talking Peyton Manning/Andrew Luck with this Williams guy?
Currently, the comp for Williams is Mahomes.

While I'd love to see the Bears get the No. 1 pick, I doubt Carolina crashes and burns to that level. Their division is awful, they'll roll out the best QB in this year's draft and they have a new head coach who is known for developing young QB's. I expect them to win something like 6 or 7 games.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
If they pick num one again with their own pick might as well change the name of the franchise to the lions

msadows

Liked Posts:
Keep fields and make him captain of the cheerleading team.

Ohh yea, I forgot to mention the honey bears will be back.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
What do you do as GM if Justin Fields has a good not great season ( 3600yards, 65%comp , 24TD 8INT, 750 yrds rushing) and leads the Bears to 10-7 record) and the Panthers crash and burn giving the Bears the #1OA.

I trade it for 5 first round picks and build a dynasty in a heart beat.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:

Since The Script has Justin Fields becoming a first ballet HOFer, the Bears trade the #1 pick on draft night for 4 first, 2nd and 3rd rounders (must wait for draft night to be able to trade for 4 1st round picks).

It will be the 2nd of 20 straight years where the Bears have and trade the #1 pick for kings' ransoms.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Currently, the comp for Williams is Mahomes.

While I'd love to see the Bears get the No. 1 pick, I doubt Carolina crashes and burns to that level. Their division is awful, they'll roll out the best QB in this year's draft and they have a new head coach who is known for developing young QB's. I expect them to win something like 6 or 7 games.
And what happens when a 350 pound DT breaks every single rib of his rookie QB during the preseason?

You cannot develop a QB when said QB is on season ending IR before he makes it to week 1.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
I personally think Bryce Young was a better college QB than Williams, just a few inches shorter and we passed on him.

With that said, QBs are really expensive when coming off of their rookie contract. And we've already been able to flip a #1 overall for draft capital and capitalize on that situation.

I'd probably lean towards drafting Williams. That's assuming Williams has a similar season to his Heisman year. It's also assuming the reason for Justin Fields shortcomings is himself. Not an injured WR corp or subpar OLine. Afterall we are one injury at each position to essentially being where we were last season.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Depends on the draft comp for the 2 but ai would be inclined to trade the No 1 pick and build a Niners like team with a QB in Fields that should be good enough to win a SB.

Now if someone decides to offer 2 or 3 firsts for Fields then I may consider trading him instead of No 1.

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
I personally think Bryce Young was a better college QB than Williams, just a few inches shorter and we passed on him.

With that said, QBs are really expensive when coming off of their rookie contract. And we've already been able to flip a #1 overall for draft capital and capitalize on that situation.

I'd probably lean towards drafting Williams. That's assuming Williams has a similar season to his Heisman year. It's also assuming the reason for Justin Fields shortcomings is himself. Not an injured WR corp or subpar OLine. Afterall we are one injury at each position to essentially being where we were last season.
The Bears haven’t had a QB start every game of the season in 13 fucking seasons. There is a good chance that Fields is going to miss time