What Has to Happen, Pessimists?

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
The Bears have neither earned nor deserve the benefit of the doubt.

Poles and Eberflus absolutely should be allowed to do their jobs to the best of their ability. But giving an honest assessment and raising legitimate concerns aren't the same as "ripping off your dicks".

I'm looking for development and growth of Justin Fields. That's first. That's priority.

I want to know by the end of this year whether Justin Fields is the Bears quarterback of the future or not.

Let me ask you a question, though: What makes you say that "these guys know what they are doing"?
For me, how they work the draft this season, how Fields develops and how they build the team in 2023 with great cap situation and more draft picks. By the end of the 2023 offseason I think we should have a better understanding of their plan and if they are going in the right direction.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
3 in a row or can it be 3 out of 4?

I would prefer three in a row.

Michael Jordan spoiled this city. The "3 peat" is now the bare minimum for sports greatness in Chicago.

If the Bears can win 5 straight Super Bowls, they will finally surpass Jordan's Bulls as true Sports Gods in Chicago and I will totally stop shitting on them at that point, I promise.

bufordht

Liked Posts:
Joe, you and many others say record doesn't matter. I understand the premise BUT I'm not so easily ready to throw in the season. NFL seasons are precious, there are very few rebuilds in the NFL like you saw with the Cubs 8 years back and white sox about 4 years back, unless you are the Detroit Lions.

For me this team has to compete. Not as a superbowl contender but as a team trying to make playoffs. There is enough talent there on defense between....

Jaylon Johnson
Roquan Smith
Robert Quinn
Eddie Jackson (like him or not)

I understand there are holes but those can be filled to a point.

On offense you have a young QB who is ready to take a step forward, you have good running game with one very good RB and another emerging. The O line has building blocks and still not a complete puzzle yet (more moves to make), you have an emerging WR with more moves still pending, you have a young TE who may be the answer.

Again I understand the holes but there is still a entire off season and draft still left.

I'm not ready to make this season a develmental season because in football every season is precious and has a identity of its own. To me there are not tear downs and rebuilds in football.

Therefore, right or wrong, my expectation is this team fighting for playoffs. Anything less is a disappointing season, even if Fuelds takes a step forward with a bad team record. Whats the point of a step forward for your young QB if you can't win games??

NFL is year to year.....so you take your chances each year.

"There's enough talent on defense"

*Names 3 players and one who sucks*

You sir are no pessimist ?

abegibronlives

Liked Posts:
So, I'm curious what has to happen for those of you who are just ripping off your dicks every day. What do you need to see this year in order to be proved WRONG that these guys know what they are doing? Post up below, and we'll revisit this when the season is over. I'm an optimist, but for me it may be:

1. A decent record. I'd like to get 5 wins, but this isn't really all that important to me. It may be for YOU.
2. The development of Fields. I want him to LOOK BETTER. This comes with scheme, plays, and talent.
3. A bit more work in the FA to shore up a few more players.
4. I think we may be surprised by some OL players. Jenkins for example may actually be good.
5. A great draft. May not be able to evaluate for 2-3 years, but I want to see OL, WR, DB taken.

So, what do YOU need to see in order to change your mind from "these guys suck, it's the same old Bears BS, God this team is bad, they will ALWAYS be bad" to "Hey, maybe they know what they're doing?

I don't think you can blame people for being pessimistic, given the performance of the team over the past several decades.

What will fix that? Winning, of course.

And nothing else.

jive

Liked Posts:
The problem is that your wish is not realistic. You said 2-3 impact drafted players and 3+ drafted players that can develop. You want from 5(2+3) to at least 7(3+4) drafted players to be impact players within a year or two.

How are they going to do that with 6 draft picks? 1st round draft picks are a coin flip of being a bust, bust potential growing as the picks happen in later rounds.

You are basically expecting Poles to hit on 100% of his draft picks. That is a recipe for disappointment.
I don't think I'm being unrealistic at all.
First, impact players and players that can develop are not mutually exclusive. For example, Charles Tillman made an impact as a rookie and developed into a stud. Khalil Herbert made an impact as an effective backup, and we'll see how he develops. As far as impact, it doesn't have to be all pro or starter, just someone makes a difference on the team. It could be on special teams or a capable backup.
In addition to the draft, I expect a bunch of UDFAs to be brought in as well. So out of 6 picks and 20+ UDFAs, expecting 2 to see the field on Sundays and 3 or more to develop into something more isn't that much to ask for.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
I don't think I'm being unrealistic at all.
First, impact players and players that can develop are not mutually exclusive. For example, Charles Tillman made an impact as a rookie and developed into a stud. Khalil Herbert made an impact as an effective backup, and we'll see how he develops. As far as impact, it doesn't have to be all pro or starter, just someone makes a difference on the team. It could be on special teams or a capable backup.
In addition to the draft, I expect a bunch of UDFAs to be brought in as well. So out of 6 picks and 20+ UDFAs, expecting 2 to see the field on Sundays and 3 or more to develop into something more isn't that much to ask for.
For sure the rookies will be getting every chance to prove themselves this coming season…

36special

Liked Posts:
The Kool aid drinkers rule the roost here.

Not much can be done at this point to save 2022 season from being anything other than accepting that this is going to be a losing season. Many here accept that, understand that and are happy to have a team that is not going to be able to compete. Congrats to those that share this mentality. Bears fans are not used to having a winning team and the rinse repeat cycle every 4 years suits you just fine.

You all have reached the acceptance phase quickly though. You are losers.

Ryan Poles has done horrible. No way around that. You lost Robinson, Daniels, Hicks, and Mack and have picked up 2nd- 3rd string players to replace them. It is hard to argue that he has done well. Honestly, any attempt to sugar coat his first few months is laughable.

Your QB will not develop with this O line and WR (both trash)

The draft is not saving the team, neither will rookie free agents. Stop masturbating about this.

Call me a cunt, bitch, whatever... But I am right. 2022 and 2023 are lost. JF will be labeled a bust. Coaches and GM will lose the team.

Rinse, repeat. Rinse, repeat.

This team is terrible.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

Not much can be done at this point to save 2022 season from being anything other than accepting that this is going to be a losing season. Many here accept that, understand that and are happy to have a team that is not going to be able to compete. Congrats to those that share this mentality. Bears fans are not used to having a winning team and the rinse repeat cycle every 4 years suits you just fine.

Ryan Poles has done horrible. No way around that. You lost Robinson, Daniels, Hicks, and Mack and have picked up 2nd- 3rd string players to replace them. It is hard to argue that he has done well. Honestly, any attempt to sugar coat his first few months is laughable.

The draft is not saving the team, neither will rookie free agents. Stop masturbating about this.

Call me a cunt, bitch, whatever... But I am right. 2022 and 2023 are lost. JF will be labeled a bust. Coaches and GM will lose the team.

This team is terrible.

The thing with those with your attitude, is that its a lazy way of thinking.

I mean, the point of being a fan is to emotionally invest in your team, and ride the highs and lows with them.

But if you just go into each and every season like freaking Eeyore with the "Whhhhyyyy Boootherrrr" attitude, there can't be any real enjoyment that comes from that, so the only think I can even comprehend is that such people just like the idea of "being right", and I have seen enough boo birds here on my 20+ years of this and the old CBMB, that it seems the time when such people are at their most miserable, is the few years when the Bears have actually been a SUCCESS.

And I think, why is that? Best I got is that such sad people COUNT on the Bears to be bad, like how a broken clock is right twice a day. Its lazy, requires no thought or emotional investment, and at the end of the day, they get to feel like they got something right in their lives that they put ZERO emotional investment into.

Its a miserable perversion of fandom.

I won't call you names. All I will say is your take is unoriginal, lazy, and basic.

JesusHalasChrist

N.eg it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Donator
Liked Posts:

This team is terrible.

How's the weather in Atlanta, Ryan?

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
Put out a respectable product. Limited mental errors. Limited penalties. Limited turnovers. Terrific tackling. Fighting hard. All the things that anybody can do if they try hard enough although not being as talented.
I agree with this + the original thread post as what's needed, I'm an optimist but understand some folks hesitation even if sometimes over the top.
I say 7 wins.

Username

Liked Posts:
What am I looking for?

1. Win games.
2. Improvement from Fields and the O
3. Win Games
4. a Dominant Defense
5 Win games
6 Win Games
7 Win Games
8 Win Games
9 Win Games
10 Win games.

tgmxd

Liked Posts:
Basically the exact opposite of everything that’s happened so far this off-season

In this situation with limited resources and poor talent on offense every single penny and draft pick should be going to turning the offense around rapidly for Fields to protect him and help him develop as QB.

It hasn’t and they are playing with fire right now assuming this guy is some generational, unbustable talent. Not saying he can’t be that or develop into it (because we straight up don’t know yet what he is) but you need to give him the best chance to do it.

This team (as always at QB) isn’t.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
I want to see a team that loses because they were outmatched talent-wise, not because they got outcoached, were unprepared, made too many mental mistakes or didn't play hard.
we saw all those last few items every Sunday under Nagy, think this year will be different in that regard.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
Who were some of the biggest names during this offseason who changed teams?

Allen Robinson, J. C. Jackson, Davante Adams, Terron Armstead and Tyreek Hill.

Bears fans would have loved to have gotten one, if not all of them, to play for the Bears.

What do they have in common?

Not one single 1st rounder in the bunch. There were two 2nd round WRs (Robinson and Adams), one 3rd round OT (Armstead), one 5th round WR (Hill) and one Undrafted CB (Jackson).

With the lack of cap space in 2022 and the lack of 1st round picks, the Bears can still improve their roster with the picks they have (or the picks they can get in a trade down or two) and even with UDFAs. There is still hope.

A good draft and UDFA signing period can provide some much needed depth to the roster. A year of gelling can make the roster better, if there is a strategy to develop players.

A year of competent play-calling and development can transform Fields into an asset instead of a question mark with potential.

A year of getting the defense to buy into the new Lovie defense (why call it anything else?) will make it a top 15 defense again.

Won / loss record needs to take a back seat to development. 2022 is all about filling holes.
Excellent points.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
I would prefer three in a row.

Michael Jordan spoiled this city. The "3 peat" is now the bare minimum for sports greatness in Chicago.

If the Bears can win 5 straight Super Bowls, they will finally surpass Jordan's Bulls as true Sports Gods in Chicago and I will totally stop shitting on them at that point, I promise.
After all these years and considering the parity in the NFL they would be Gods in this city with 1 SB win and high level playoff wins for a few years.

bufordht

Liked Posts:
The thing with those with your attitude, is that its a lazy way of thinking.

I mean, the point of being a fan is to emotionally invest in your team, and ride the highs and lows with them.

But if you just go into each and every season like freaking Eeyore with the "Whhhhyyyy Boootherrrr" attitude, there can't be any real enjoyment that comes from that, so the only think I can even comprehend is that such people just like the idea of "being right", and I have seen enough boo birds here on my 20+ years of this and the old CBMB, that it seems the time when such people are at their most miserable, is the few years when the Bears have actually been a SUCCESS.

And I think, why is that? Best I got is that such sad people COUNT on the Bears to be bad, like how a broken clock is right twice a day. Its lazy, requires no thought or emotional investment, and at the end of the day, they get to feel like they got something right in their lives that they put ZERO emotional investment into.

Its a miserable perversion of fandom.

I won't call you names. All I will say is your take is unoriginal, lazy, and basic.

Lazy is the perfect term here. It's super easy to predict failure whether it's players, teams, coaches etc. I can predict that every player in the draft will fail. Guess what, I'll be right way more than wrong.

What you almost never see from these folks is what their plan would be. Who should've been hired, drafted, signed etc. But that takes more work and runs the risk of being wrong.

Lazy.

Visionman

Liked Posts:

This team is terrible.
This is the type of things people who have ZERO actual clue about the NFL say.

So welcome to ccs, clueless casual fan…

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
After all these years and considering the parity in the NFL they would be Gods in this city with 1 SB win and high level playoff wins for a few years.

They may be treated like Gods with one trophy and consistent playoff appearances, but they are going to need a lot more hardware to be as synonymous with Chicago as Michael Jordan and those 90s Bulls teams.