What Has to Happen, Pessimists?

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Basically the exact opposite of everything that’s happened so far this off-season

In this situation with limited resources and poor talent on offense every single penny and draft pick should be going to turning the offense around rapidly for Fields to protect him and help him develop as QB.

It hasn’t and they are playing with fire right now assuming this guy is some generational, unbustable talent. Not saying he can’t be that or develop into it (because we straight up don’t know yet what he is) but you need to give him the best chance to do it.

This team (as always at QB) isn’t.
So what has to happen over the course of the year to prove you wrong? No games have been played. No players drafted. I get you don't like the approach.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Lazy is the perfect term here. It's super easy to predict failure whether it's players, teams, coaches etc. I can predict that every player in the draft will fail. Guess what, I'll be right way more than wrong.

What you almost never see from these folks is what their plan would be. Who should've been hired, drafted, signed etc. But that takes more work and runs the risk of being wrong.

Lazy.

That's exactly it. In my younger days I used to try to pin these people down and watch them Bob and weave like Muhammad Ali.

Took a while but I realized these people were never serious fans. They just love to come here and talk shit about the Bears. They may as well just be packer fans.

UChiLAbear

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. UCLA Bruins
3 Super Bowl wins and I’ll back off for a bit.
I agree with you on many of your posts...........but..........3 SB wins?........that's way too LOW of a standard in my thinking!......lol! Learn how to look on the bright side! Believe me, it's not that difficult.

tgmxd

Liked Posts:
So what has to happen over the course of the year to prove you wrong? No games have been played. No players drafted. I get you don't like the approach

Fields turning out to be a truly generational, not breakable guy at QB (extremely rare and unlikely based on how things around him did affect him last year) is one way.

The only other way around this at this point is us getting crazy lucky with these extremely limited upside swings.

Or an outrategeous number of these moves turn to gold (Mooney is a #1 receiver from the first snap this year, we draft a receiver in the 2nd round who is an impact WR from day 1, Pringle becomes a solid slot receiver in this offense, the center from GB develops into an average starter, Jenkins becomes an above average starter along with Borom, we are able to get somebody average to come in play at LT like Jason Peters last year, Kmet gets better).

The problem is we need all of these moves to work out from day 1 just for Fields to have an average offense around him this year. And he needs them from game 1 for his development. Not week 7 or the end of the year or 2023.

They're both extremely unlikely outcomes which is why they needed to swing for more home run players this offseason even if it meant overpaying one. Otherwise by the time they finally do Fields most likely going to be developing all kinds of bad habits and seeing ghosts like Sam Darnold

Last edited:

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
I don't think I'm being unrealistic at all.
First, impact players and players that can develop are not mutually exclusive. For example, Charles Tillman made an impact as a rookie and developed into a stud. Khalil Herbert made an impact as an effective backup, and we'll see how he develops. As far as impact, it doesn't have to be all pro or starter, just someone makes a difference on the team. It could be on special teams or a capable backup.
In addition to the draft, I expect a bunch of UDFAs to be brought in as well. So out of 6 picks and 20+ UDFAs, expecting 2 to see the field on Sundays and 3 or more to develop into something more isn't that much to ask for.
ok, good point.

At least, you are not scoffing at the Bears signing UDFAs like some people here who think of them as throw away players, even though there are always some UDFAs that earn starting positions just about every year.

Poles needs to look under every single rock to try to find gems in 2022 and beyond. As long as the back end of the roster becomes better than before, the team is getting better. Now, if some sleeper is discovered, then the team suddenly gets much better at that position.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
I would prefer three in a row.

Michael Jordan spoiled this city. The "3 peat" is now the bare minimum for sports greatness in Chicago.

If the Bears can win 5 straight Super Bowls, they will finally surpass Jordan's Bulls as true Sports Gods in Chicago and I will totally stop shitting on them at that point, I promise.
I was going to go with, "the 21st is my pick to go on my dick" for their 21 consecutive Super Bowl victories, but then again, I am greedy.

UChiLAbear

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. UCLA Bruins
First.....eff the "developmental" year........I say fight to make the playoffs.......6 wins last season with a self-centered narcissistic "coach", who I refuse to give him ANY respect calling him by his name. And a few we could have won. Add to that a new regime with a better attitude, scheme and players.....why is 10 wins out of the question? If 10 doesn't get you in the playoffs.......so be it!

Offense........
1) See the O-line start coming together as a cohesive unit by the 3rd game.....if they can do it pre-season.....all the better
2) Everybody's favorite flavor......QB development......a) Pre snap reads.....as per most plays you send a man in motion....the DB follows him across - playing 'man' coverage.......DB drops off and a DB comes up from the other side to pick up motion man -its Zone coverage.....90% of the time! and yes I know a team can still hide their coverage....but you BETTER have an elite D Backfield.....anyway......how hard is that per snap read?
b) Quick drop & read.....as others have mentioned....longer than 2.5 seconds, its on the QB.....no if, ands or buts about it...after 2.5 ..I want to see Fields version of Mahomes......
c) Fields ability to 'stretch' plays..
d) Leading da Bears in game winning drives...when needed

3) Monty, Hebert, Mooney, Pringle, Cement, Horsted and rookie WR become a force to be reckoned with...again.... Why not these guys? We see their talent.

Defense

1) Gang effn tackling.... 2-5 guys around the ball carrier EVERY play!
2) TOs! Gotta to have them. improve to 25 MINUMUM for the season. If u do No. 1...No. 2 will happen.
3) Shut down the run. Get them into 3rd & long. We all know 3rd & long....da Bears favorite down last year.
4) Constant pressure on opponents' QB..that happens.....Ints will come.

Special Teams........another gotta have them.

I want to see growth and precision in ALL areas! Offense, Defense & STs. Attack on Offense..Attack on Defense and Attack on STs. Anything less is No Bueno!

My attitude is.... f-"k what they r going to do to us, they better worry about what we're going to do to them!
This is the attitude I want to see da Bears play with. It won't happen overnight, but i want to see it no later then the 4th or 5th game....by then we'll know if we have the right coach. Won't need a whole season to figure it out.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Poles is in a tough situation because normally teams that have young, promising QBs don't change GMs. A GM isn't typically fired after getting a potential franchise QB. So, I think Bears fans mindset is "hey, this is the 2nd year of our young QB, this is a huge developmental year and a huge step forward to determine how good he's going to be". Like Burrow. Like Herbert. While Poles mindset is "this team is old, expensive, and a mess, I gotta rebuild this entire thing".

So while fans want Joe Burrow's 2nd season from Fields. Poles is basically throwing away Fields' rookie year in a garbage system and treating this like his 1st round pick this year is Fields.

IDK what needs to happen for me to have optimism, but this approach from Poles better work because he's basically cutting out a year of Fields' rookie deal. Not to evaluate him necessarily, but to build a team around him. He's starting at the ground floor instead of building on 2021.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
This is the type of things people who have ZERO actual clue about the NFL say.

So welcome to ccs, clueless casual fan…

Dude, he cleary said he wanted to be called "Cunt Bitch Whatever" not "clueless classless fan"

36special

Liked Posts:
The thing with those with your attitude, is that its a lazy way of thinking.

I mean, the point of being a fan is to emotionally invest in your team, and ride the highs and lows with them.

But if you just go into each and every season like freaking Eeyore with the "Whhhhyyyy Boootherrrr" attitude, there can't be any real enjoyment that comes from that, so the only think I can even comprehend is that such people just like the idea of "being right", and I have seen enough boo birds here on my 20+ years of this and the old CBMB, that it seems the time when such people are at their most miserable, is the few years when the Bears have actually been a SUCCESS.

And I think, why is that? Best I got is that such sad people COUNT on the Bears to be bad, like how a broken clock is right twice a day. Its lazy, requires no thought or emotional investment, and at the end of the day, they get to feel like they got something right in their lives that they put ZERO emotional investment into.

Its a miserable perversion of fandom.

I won't call you names. All I will say is your take is unoriginal, lazy, and basic.
Lazy? If lazy is being real then yes. Being a real fan of a a football club does not require one to blindly follow and agree with each move a team makes and continuously try to make lemonade from lemons. If you want to blindly follow the Bears and cheer everything go right ahead. You do you.

I'm a guy that cheered when we drafted McMahon, Harbaugh and even McNown. When we got Cutler I said "finally" and when we got Trubisky I thought "He is the one". I've been positive. I've seen success way back when and occasionally over the last 20 years.

We lost a bunch of talent this offseason from a team that wasn't very good last year and we have not picked up anyone worth mentioning. Poles, to this point, has made the team worse that what we were from a talent perspective. Thats a fact. Can't run from this. Our draft capital is quite weak and relying on the fourth phase and a couple of second rounders to be all pro's is silly.

The Bears lack talent at too many positions and we did too little in FA to plug holes.

Take a minute and put together your starting 22 right now and compare that to Green Bay, Detroit or Minnesota. It doesn't look good.

DammitFullerTurnUrHead!

Liked Posts:
Put out a respectable product. Limited mental errors. Limited penalties. Limited turnovers. Terrific tackling. Fighting hard. All the things that anybody can do if they try hard enough although not being as talented.
You need talent to have terrific tackling and limit turnovers. Let’s argue.

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Lazy? If lazy is being real then yes. Being a real fan of a a football club does not require one to blindly follow and agree with each move a team makes and continuously try to make lemonade from lemons. If you want to blindly follow the Bears and cheer everything go right ahead. You do you.

I'm a guy that cheered when we drafted McMahon, Harbaugh and even McNown. When we got Cutler I said "finally" and when we got Trubisky I thought "He is the one". I've been positive. I've seen success way back when and occasionally over the last 20 years.

We lost a bunch of talent this offseason from a team that wasn't very good last year and we have not picked up anyone worth mentioning. Poles, to this point, has made the team worse that what we were from a talent perspective. Thats a fact. Can't run from this. Our draft capital is quite weak and relying on the fourth phase and a couple of second rounders to be all pro's is silly.

The Bears lack talent at too many positions and we did too little in FA to plug holes.

Take a minute and put together your starting 22 right now and compare that to Green Bay, Detroit or Minnesota. It doesn't look good.

It's intellectually lazy. And professional pessimists always call themselves realists as a deflection.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
Lazy is the perfect term here. It's super easy to predict failure whether it's players, teams, coaches etc. I can predict that every player in the draft will fail. Guess what, I'll be right way more than wrong.

What you almost never see from these folks is what their plan would be. Who should've been hired, drafted, signed etc. But that takes more work and runs the risk of being wrong.

Lazy.
How exactly does one prove an alternate plan would have worked that the Bears didn't follow?

?

36special

Liked Posts:
It's intellectually lazy. And professional pessimists always call themselves realists as a deflection.
Intellectually lazy? LOL.

Are you saying that my view is not the current reality? If you feel my view is not the current reality please defend why you feel this way. Be a man and answer like you would if we were drinking beer in a bar. Not some internet snot that ridicules people from their mighty keyboard.

Visionman

Liked Posts:

How can you follow a team for that long and still be so clueless? That’s a special kind of special…

Visionman

Liked Posts:

Are you saying that my view is not the current reality? If you feel my view is not the current reality please defend why you feel this way. Be a man and answer like you would if we were drinking beer in a bar. Not some internet snot that ridicules people from their mighty keyboard.
I wouldn’t bother to ridicule you to your face. Not worth the effort. I’d just laugh, shake my head, and walk away…

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
I wouldn’t bother to ridicule you to your face. Not worth the effort. I’d just laugh, shake my head, and walk away…

As you're walking away, how far would your nose be up in the air? And would you turn around to sneak a peak to see if this new 38special guy is still watching you? Or would you full edgelord strut away without the look back?

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

I'm saying your "wash, rinse, repeat" approach to cynicism is intellectually lazy, for the reasons I stated.

And your whole macho bullshit is wasted on me - I ALREADY answered why in my original reply.

Seriously though... "be a man" and "internet snot"? Dude, you literally ARE what you just accused me of. In my original reply - I attacked your approach, but left it at that. You are the one who just took it personally.

And you took it personally because....

I was right.

:benny: