What if Pace traded up for Watson...

GSH_34

Liked Posts:
Think the narrative would be the same as it is now?

Part of this whole 'selling the farm' 'Pace getting fleeced' garbage is who the Bears took.

No one saw this coming. Jeremiah and Brugler said the Bears liked Trubisky at 3 leading up to the draft, but I think that was viewed as smoke

Rap got it wrong. Schefter got it wrong. Pace had everyone fooled, which is pretty impressive when you think about it.

But had Watson been the guy @ 2, I think the narrative would be different. Watson's become the media darling. Chicago writers were slurping him before and after the draft. National writers too.

And the smoke leading up about the Bears interest in Watson seemed to point that Pace was very interested.

Which is funny bc Trubisky was considered QB1 by a lot of NFL people. Watson QB3.

Thoughts?

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
strtldwk.gif

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
I'm a fan of Watson so would have been delighted to get him but I think Pace could've stayed at 3 with more certainty of getting him.

I'm totally happy with how things panned out.

Reactions: DC

34_Bear

Liked Posts:
IF what the Bears brass rhetoric was true then there would have been a massive trade up to get Trubs at three and the Niners would get a kings ransom possibly having more picks than the Browns in the first round in addition to what ever else. In addition the Bears brass would look like a bunch of idiots but Pace would have got his man. Madness would ensue. The big question is IF.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Think the narrative would be the same as it is now?

Part of this whole 'selling the farm' 'Pace getting fleeced' garbage is who the Bears took.

No one saw this coming. Jeremiah and Brugler said the Bears liked Trubisky at 3 leading up to the draft, but I think that was viewed as smoke

Rap got it wrong. Schefter got it wrong. Pace had everyone fooled, which is pretty impressive when you think about it.

But had Watson been the guy @ 2, I think the narrative would be different. Watson's become the media darling. Chicago writers were slurping him before and after the draft. National writers too.

And the smoke leading up about the Bears interest in Watson seemed to point that Pace was very interested.

Which is funny bc Trubisky was considered QB1 by a lot of NFL people. Watson QB3.

Thoughts?

In one corner ya have a Qb who played in 2 NC's ( won 1). Had a 33-3 w-l . Passed for 4109yds 67.8% comp. 35Td's 13 ints in 2015 and in 2016 upped his stats by passing for 4593yds, 67.0% comp. 41Td's and 17ints.

In the other corner, ya have a Qb who loss more the double the games ( in 1 season ) than the other guy had in 3 seasons, doesn't have the Td or yardage production of the other guy, lost 4 of his last 5 games ( including a bowl game), but this guy is allegedly the best Qb in the draft.

Whats wrong with this picture?

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Narrative would be the same. Most people aren't complaining about the pick, they're complaining about the trade.

....but you have to admit, selling Watson would've been easier than trubs. We'll see how trubs pans out

Major Ursa

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Vegas Golden Knights
  1. Utah State Aggies
....but you have to admit, selling Watson would've been easier than trubs. We'll see how trubs pans out

I'm not so sure. I don't think anything can make some of these guys happy. The Bears could win a Superbowl and 60% of the board would be complaining about the fashion in which it occurred.

Imabearsfan

Liked Posts:
In one corner ya have a Qb who played in 2 NC's ( won 1). Had a 33-3 w-l . Passed for 4109yds 67.8% comp. 35Td's 13 ints in 2015 and in 2016 upped his stats by passing for 4593yds, 67.0% comp. 41Td's and 17ints.

In the other corner, ya have a Qb who loss more the double the games ( in 1 season ) than the other guy had in 3 seasons, doesn't have the Td or yardage production of the other guy, lost 4 of his last 5 games ( including a bowl game), but this guy is allegedly the best Qb in the draft.

Imabearsfan thinks you value pitchers in baseball by W's and L's too. Is Imabearsfan correct in that assumption?

Liked Posts:

First thing that's wrong with this picture is your trying to use college stats to prove their outcomes in the NFL. Second, you put Trubisky on a powerhouse offense like Watson had and I guarantee he puts up similar or better numbers. I'll take the QB who can actually read a defense and go through his progressions over one who had 41 TDs in college and can't do the above.

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
First thing that's wrong with this picture is your trying to use college stats to prove their outcomes in the NFL. Second, you put Trubisky on a powerhouse offense like Watson had and I guarantee he puts up similar or better numbers. I'll take the QB who can actually read a defense and go through his progressions over one who had 41 TDs in college and can't do the above.

Watson will get forced into action early, wait until he throws 2 pick sixes in one game

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
No, it would've been different if the 9'ers took Trub.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

There's no doubt Watson had the more impressive college accolades. I think Pace's thought is that Trubisky's game translates better to the NFL. He values QBs who keep their eyes downfield while scrambling over those who take off and run. I think both will have decent careers. We won't know for sure who the right guy was for a few years.

GSH_34

Liked Posts:
That's what I'm getting at (which is stupid in its own right if you actually buy it). Watson has name recognition and that goes a long way with driving narratives.

You notice not many are saying anything about what Houston mortgaged to move up for Watson. Which it's been reported they didn't have to do.

Granted, it was a much larger jump but Houston had to give up a shit ton more than we did.

But...Chicago media was pimping Watson before the draft. It was the 'home run swing' pick. Moon, Rich Campbell, Haugh, Wiederer. All of them were selling Watson.

And nationally, Watson already had most on his jock because of college accolades, which again, is fucking stupid and was his main selling point as a prospect.

Watson is actually a really good fit on Houston. Team is setup similarly to what he has at Clemson. Stacked defense, offensive weapons. Guarantee you he elevates that talent. They'll put him in a position to succeed. He just needs to make plays at pivotal moments.

But this narrative isn't going away. At least until Trubisky takes the field. Every time his name is mentioned, the trade up will be mentioned. People will ask why him over Watson..

So get used to it. Fucking sucks.

GSH_34

Liked Posts:
I'm a fan of Watson so would have been delighted to get him but I think Pace could've stayed at 3 with more certainty of getting him.

I'm totally happy with how things panned out.
Possible but on the contrary, how well has waiting worked out for us in the past? Aaron Donald? How about when Leonard Williams fell?

Maybe Pace panicked and thought he'd lose Trubisky. Or maybe his instinct was right that SF had another team on the line.

Either way, two 3rd round picks is a small price to pay for a potential franchise QB. Pace already recouped the 4th Rounder.

Had Cleveland jumped up to 2, I doubt anyone would've said shit about it because everyone at their mother knew they coveted Trubisky. Or at least that was all the smoke.

No one has really linked the Bears to Trubisky. Which is why everyone was shocked that they did what they did. Shit, even the insiders thought it was for Thomas.

Shock value played a part here and it's unfortunate. Also the player they picked played a part.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers

What's wrong is you don't understand that every GM in the NFL and most fans understand that team record have little to do with translatable NFL skills and that Watson was view as the 3rd best in that category this draft.

Whats wrong in your eyes is the pigment producing ability of the Bears new QB.

Oh... also that 5 is not more than double 3.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Imabearsfan thinks you value pitchers in baseball by W's and L's too. Is Imabearsfan correct in that assumption?
New schtick with the third person replies, GatormikeUKinFL?